At What Age Does Dollar General Hire?
Dollar General offers employees flexible scheduling, a relaxed work environment and simple tasks, making their stores an attractive choice for youths looking for their first jobs. However, due to alcohol and tobacco sales, the company requires all employees to be at least 18 years of age.
How Old Do I Have to Be to Work at Dollar General?:
- Does Dollar General Hire at 17?-No. All Dollar General employees must be of legal age.
- Does Dollar General Hire at 16?– No. Eighteen is the minimum age requirement for Dollar General workers.
- Does Dollar General Hire at 15?– No. Since Dollar General sells alcohol and tobacco products, hiring anyone under 16 is against federal law.
- Does Dollar General Hire at 14?– No. Dollar General only hires individuals who are 18 and over.
Since only legal adults may gain employment at Dollar General, work permits are unnecessary. Unless currently enrolled in school, associates must hold high school diplomas or GEDs. For management positions, associates typically want to possess some college experience, as well. Management job hopefuls also need previous leadership experience to earn hiring consideration. Entry-level jobs, such as cashier and sales associate, do not require experience, though work history may prove beneficial to job seekers.
Available Entry-Level Positions
- Cashier – Cashiers handle transactions with shoppers for most of their shifts, but may also take on a few sales associate tasks if they have extra time.
- Sales Associate -These entry-level Dollar General employees provide friendly assistance to customers, stock shelves and maintain store cleanliness.
Both positions usually offer between $7.00 and $10.00 an hour. After a relatively quick and simple interview process, applicants receive notification on hiring status.