At What Age Does Lowes Hire?
Underage job seekers may consider a position at Lowes. The home improvement retailer sets the minimum hiring age at 18 years for entry-level jobs. However, they may hire individuals as young as 16 for nonhazardous occupations while keeping leadership roles and more dangerous tasks for older candidates with more experience.The job descriptions for most entry-level store positions make no mention of needing a high school diploma, though completion of high school typically equips applicants with the basic math abilities and communication skills necessary to work in retail.
How Old Do I Have to Be to Work at Lowes?:
- Does Lowes Hire at 17?-Yes. Seventeen-year-olds can perform non-hazardous tasks at Lowes.
- Does Lowes Hire at 16?-Yes. Individuals who are 16 can apply for customer service positions at Lowes.
- Does Lowes Hire at 15?-No. Lowes requires all employees to be at least 16 years of age.
- Does Lowes Hire at 14?-No. Minors under 16 are prohibited from working at Lowes.
In addition to requiring high school levels of expertise in math and communications, Lowe’s jobs demand the ability to learn how to operate various store equipment, such as key cutters, panel saws, paint mixers, forklifts, and pallet jacks. Applicants must also fulfill physical requirements, like the ability to move 200 pounds with accommodations and 50 pounds without assistance. Job seekers seldom need an extensive work history when applying for entry-level employment, though previous experience in retail or sales often results in additional hiring consideration.
Available Entry-Level Positions
- Customer Service Associates – Workers under 18 usually hold customer service positions. Some of their duties include ringing up purchases as a cashier or assisting customers with loading products into their cars. These employees earn roughly $10.00 per hour.
- Receiving Employees – Those who work in receiving are typically 18 and over. Individuals in this occupation typically unload product shipments and stock shelves. They also perform basic warehouse tasks and make an hourly wage of up to $11.00
- Sales Associates – Sales workers specialize in a specific product category, like building materials, nursery, outdoor power equipment, appliances, electrical, or flooring. These are usually the most knowledgeable and experienced employees in the store, and they enjoy pay rates between $12.00 and $14.00 an hour