At What Age Does Safeway Hire?
Grocery stores offers flexible work scheduling, excellent training, and abundant advancement opportunities. This makes the company an attractive option to job seekers of all ages. Fortunately, Safeway hires individuals as young as 14 years old, which is the minimum working age that the U.S. Department of Labor permits. The company limits the number of job prospects for these youths, but entry-level jobs serve as fantastic opportunities for youths looking for employment at an early age.
Restrictions could also exist for workers aged 16 and over. Candidates should check state labor laws before applying at Safeway, as these guidelines vary by location.
How Old Do I Have to Be to Work at Safeway?:
- Does Safeway Hire at 17?– Yes. Safeway hires 17-year-olds.
- Does Safeway Hire at 16?– Yes. Sixteen-year-olds can gain employment at Safeway.
- Does Safeway Hire at 15?– Yes. Safeway allows 15-year-olds to work in their stores.
- Does Safeway Hire at 14?– Yes. Fourteen-year-olds can work at Safeway, but may need a work permit depending on the guidelines of their state.
Qualifications for Young Applicants
Entry-level jobs rarely require associates to hold high school diplomas or GEDs, due to their tendency to hire students The company also believes that candidates with the right personalities and proper training can perform just as well as those with relevant work history. Even so, food prep or management jobs often require candidates to have experience in culinary and leadership roles respectively
Available Entry-Level Positions
- Courtesy Clerk – Courtesy clerk jobs are the most common position available to youths. The duties of these workers include greeting guests, bagging groceries, helping shoppers load their purchases into cars, and collecting carts. A courtesy clerk typically starts out at minimum wage, with average pay falling between $8.50 and $9.00 per hour.
- Cashier – Another highly sought after store Safeway job is cashier. These employees maintain a station at the front of the store, and scan goods and ring out customers with speed and accuracy. Hourly pay for a cashier may start at minimum wage and climb up to over $12.00 an hour.