Health insurer Humana maintains a customer base of roughly 13 million subscribers. In order to cater to patron needs, the nationwide agency employs 50,000 entry-level workers and career professionals, with jobs opening on a regular basis in a variety of fields.
Facts About Working at Humana
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Humana?)
Available Positions: Customer Service Representative, Administrative Assistant, Account Installation Associate, Accountant, Actuary, Case Management Nurse, Intern, Financial Analyst, Human Resources Generalist, Internal Auditor, Legal Assistant, Marketing Associate, Personal Nurse, Sales Associate-Commercial, Sales Associate-Medicare, Operations Manager, Underwriter
Humana Insurance Job Opportunities
Overarching business operations center on the wellbeing and general enrichment of life for customers. The publicly traded firm responds to the rapid changes often associated with the medical field and encourages innovative and dedicated approaches to caring for others. Forward- and outward-thinking individuals often embody Humana mission statements, which revolve around the practical applications of healthcare policies to create long-term goals for fitness, treatment, and overall management of health. Regardless of position desired, applicants must meet the expectations set forth by the company mission statements and enjoy working with the public to enact affordable and comprehensive healthcare.
While the American insurance company offers both part-time and full-time job opportunities, most Humana jobs remain full-time in nature. However, associates seeking supplemental or part-time work may find viable opportunities featuring competitive pay scales despite fewer hours. Job settings vary greatly by position, as some associates work directly with customers, while others operate as caregivers and personally administer treatments and health plans. The diverse lines of work available offer industry-competitive salary options and access to employment benefits packages commensurate with experience and time spent with the company.
Humana Employment and Pay Scales
Specific hiring requirements for available insurance jobs fall upon occupation and status. Many entry-level employment opportunities impose minimal restrictions in terms of experience, with age restrictions of 18 and over and education backgrounds of high school-level or better. Upper-level managerial and administrative careers as well as caregiver positions regularly require specialized training or four-year degrees. Details regarding common positions for hire follow:
Front Office Associate
- Available part-time and full-time, front office associate jobs require no formal experience for employment consideration.
- Job duties place workers in call center environments answering telephone calls from customers, authorizing dissemination of information, filing paperwork, and processing payments.
- As a position with regular public contact, individuals submitting applications must possess outgoing and personable attitudes.
- Excellent typing, computer, and general administrative skills remain favorable.
- The position involves consistent travel, so applicants must feel comfortable working flexible schedules.
- Front office associates make between $30,000 and $35,000 annual salary at start.
Customer Care Specialist
- Another entry-level job title, customer care specialist requires excellent clerical abilities.
- Typical pay scales start at $12.00 an hour and rise to $40,000 or more per year.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office represents a pivotal requirement of the job in addition to talking comfortably over the telephone.
- Care specialists inform customers of policies, services, and programs and troubleshoot complaints or concerns held by subscribers.
- Unlike traditional customer service roles, customer care specialists establish lasting rapports with specifically assigned patrons.
Tips For Applying
In order to begin the application process, prospective Humana workers must create online profiles through the company careers page. After providing original usernames and passwords, job hopefuls may peruse openings and fill out applications for available positions. Applicants should take personal satisfaction from helping others reach health and fitness goals. Experience in the industry often aids aspiring employees during the hiring process; however, ambition and general knowledge impress recruitment personnel, as well.
Due to the size of the corporation, Humana representatives request employment hunters refrain from following up regarding application statuses. The insurance agency often reaches out to applicants via telephone before follow ups become necessary. Current and former employees report spending between a few days and three weeks navigating the hiring process before receiving job offers. The individual profiles on the company careers page allows candidates to receive notices regarding determinations sent via email as well as alert job seekers when hiring personnel receive application materials upon submission.
Benefits of Working at Humana
The major healthcare provider extends exceptional employment benefits packages to eligible associates. Workers regularly qualify for medical, dental, and vision plans, employee assistance programs, 401(k) retirement plans, life insurance, and legal assistance. Additional job benefits include:
- Personalized health and fitness coaching
- Paid time off
- Adoption and tuition assistance
- Service awards
- Charity-matching programs, and
- Discounts through corporate partnerships.
Additional Information on Humana
Humana maintains a comprehensive YouTube channel highlighting company work environments, employee benefits, and overall enjoyment of employment with the firm. The videos posted to the channel feature current and former employees explaining different positions and favorite aspects of the jobs available. Other video resources on the channel touch on daily life with the company, innovations in the medical field, and interviews with company CEO Mike McCallister. Employment hopefuls enjoy access to roughly 250 videos.