Born from the relaxed surfer aesthetic, Hurley operates as a subsidiary of Nike. Though relatively small, the retailer continues to expand through the United States and Canada. Individuals with previous employment in retail and customer service make ideal candidates for full-time and part-time jobs.
Facts About Working at Hurley
Minimum Age to Work at Hurley: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Hurley?)
Hurley Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 9:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at Hurley: Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Merchandise Handler, Key Holder, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Hurley Job Prospects
Originally opened as a surfboard shop, Hurley partnered with the Billabong brand until 1998. After parting ways, the free-spirited retailer became established as an independent brand. Given continued efforts to expand, the company requires job seekers interested in filling managerial, customer service, and sales associate positions. The brand promotes individuality, love of music and art, and following dreams. Individuals possessing strong feelings about and able to demonstrate commitment to such values may earn favor from hiring personnel.
Job candidates with previous employment experience in fashion retail and familiarity with various work procedures fare best during hiring processes. However, hopefuls with little-to-no experience may still find long and fulfilling careers with Hurley. As such a small company, the retailer prefers to promote employees from associate positions to managerial roles and corporate work. Additionally, individuals passionate about and interested in fashion retail, skater and surfer trends, and athletic wear make ideal candidates and may earn preference for hire.
Hurley Positions and Salary Information
Individuals interested in applying for available work with the retailer must stand at least 18 years of age. Hurley requires employees to hold high school diplomas or the equivalent. Job seekers with open availability and ability to work early mornings, late nights, weekend shifts, and holidays may receive preference for hire for the following entry-level and accessible positions:
- Interested job seekers should possess heightened customer service skills and the ability to stand, bend, squat, reach, climb ladders, and twist repeatedly over the course of shifts to qualify for sales associate positions.
- Available as part-time and full-time job commitments, sales associate jobs feature average hourly wages between $9.00 and $10.00.
- Over the course of a shift, sales associate workers greet customers, answer questions, replenish stock, straighten fitting rooms and clothing racks, run cash registers, and perform any other assignments handed down by management.
- Sales associates must also maintain extensive knowledge of store merchandise and establish lasting relationships with customers to ensure sales and repeat visits.
- Key holders function similarly to sales associates.
- While many duties overlap, key holders effectively oversee associates.
- Individuals interested in available key holder positions should possess leadership, customer service, and organizational skills.
- In addition to sales associate duties, key holders must take inventory, set examples for subordinate employees, ensure the store sales goals persist in line with corporate expectations, and regularly open and close the store.
- Individuals filling key holder positions may work as part-time or full-time employees and earn average pay rates of $11.00 to $12.00.
- Assistant manager job candidates must possess excellent customer service and people skills to build relationships with customers and subordinate employees.
- Due to the heightened responsibilities of the job, Hurley prefers to hire candidates with two or more years of experience in leadership and retail settings.
- Assistant managers must regularly take inventory, create schedules, work irregular and long hours, assist store managers in the smooth operation of locations, respond to customer concerns directly, lead sales team members by example, handle payroll, and seek out and train new talent.
- Assistant manager employees earn salary packages of about $30,000 to $35,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Job seekers qualified for available work and interested in relaxed and free-spirited atmospheres may browse open positions on the company website. In order to submit applications, individuals must register with the job hosting platform. Collecting personal information, details about past employers, education background, and contact information for references may expedite the application process. Candidates should check over work before submission and tailor hiring documents to highlight relevant past experience and skills.
Job candidates may reach out to hiring personnel during the period of time between submitting applications and receiving contact about interviews in order to check up on application statuses. Following up benefits hopefuls by reiterating serious desire for available work. Calling designated stores, emailing HR representatives, and conducting in store visits prove acceptable ways to check on application status. Job hopefuls should remain polite, professional, and respectful regardless of communication method. Additionally, reaching out to hiring managers during traditionally slow business hours persists as a way to avoid becoming a nuisance.
Benefits of Working at Hurley
Though small, Hurley offers workers comprehensive employee benefit packages. Depending on status as full-time or part-time, workers may stand eligible for:
- Associate discounts
- Holiday pay
- Performance bonuses
- Paid time off
- Employee stock purchase plans, and 401(k) retirement plans
Additionally, the company medical insurance covers health and dental and offers flexible spending accounts.
More Information on Hurley
Staying true to the company connection with surfing, Hurley started an initiative in 2008 called H2O. The goal of H2O provides clean water to people in countries like Haiti, Brazil, and India who do not possess consistent access to potable resources. Through customer pledges, volunteer employee trips, a partnership with surfer and humanitarian Rob Machado, and a group called Clean Water Couriers, the company persistently raises awareness and money for the issue. Additionally, the retailer sells a line of H2O products available online and in stores. All of the money made off the products goes to the clean water initiative.