A remarkably successful supermarket chain located throughout the Midwest, Hy-Vee maintains private operations and offers consistent employment for nearly 70,000 employees in more than 230 stores. The many services the supermarket provides draw in hundreds of customers per day and call for many employees to adequately assist each patron and operate locations. Regionally, the grocery retailer consistently extends job offers to eligible entry-level and managerial candidates with friendly and motivated qualities. Each associate earns the right to purchase company stock upon hire. According to the Cedar Valley Business Monthly, Hy-Vee attributes ongoing and past successes to profit-sharing opportunities the company provides employees.
Facts About Working at Hy-Vee
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Hy Vee?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Stock Clerk, Sales Associate, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Hy-Vee Job Prospects
Patrons find Hy-Vee locations stocked with fresh produce, meat, dairy, and seafood selections. Canned, frozen, and dry foods from both national and privately owned brands sell at each store, as well. The supermarket also provides bakery and deli options. Following modern supermarket trends, the grocer offers a rewards program for patrons to collect gas savings. Customers scan loyalty cards when purchasing store items and rack up points towards fuel discounts. Additional offerings include pharmaceutical and dietician services, photo printing, banking, catering, in-store restaurants, and floral options. The wide range of goods and services available regularly creates employment opportunities for job seekers with all amounts of work experience.
Experienced and entry-level job seekers may find work in each department stocking, cleaning, cooking, filling orders, maintaining product levels, and, most importantly, providing exceptional customer service. Hy-Vee rewards associates with great compensation, generous employee benefits packages, and flexible work schedules. Employment seekers hoping for a job in the grocery store industry should submit applications to Hy-Vee now.
Hy-Vee Employment Opportunities and Pay Scales
Hy-Vee imposes minimum hiring ages based on state laws for entry-level positions like grocery cashier. Certain job titles may require candidates to stand at least 18-years old in order to process age-restricted purchases. While most entry-level positions do not require specific levels of education or prior supermarket employment, managerial positions may require several years of experience and a high school diploma, at minimum. The most basic job titles for hire include:
- Cashiers typically work in the frontend of store locations.
- Greeting patrons, scanning and bagging goods, operating cash registers, and responsibly handling multiple forms of payment represent the basic responsibilities of cashier jobs.
- Hy-Vee cashiers may also assist with stocking, cleaning, or other duties in various departments when needed.
- Cashiers must possess well-rounded knowledge of the store and become familiar with popular product codes and weekly deals.
- Cashier jobs require workers to stand long hours on foot and sometimes lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
- Workers typically receive hourly pay starting at minimum wage.
- Over time, some cashier associates make up to $9.00 per hour.
- Hy-Vee hires on clerks to work in almost every department.
- Requirements for some clerk positions may include a high school diploma and completion of a food safety training program provided by the company upon hire.
- Each clerk must interact with guests on a daily basis, maintain clean aisles and working spaces, stock empty shelves, and sometimes answer the telephone, depending on the department.
- The job also requires standing, bending, stretching, and heavy lifting of up to 50 pounds in some instances.
- Clerks earn hourly pay around state minimum wage. Some clerks eventually make up to $11.00 an hour.
- Assistant manager, store manager, and department manager positions may require six months to five years of previous experience and a high school diploma or GED.
- Store managers must motivate employees to reach goals, handle difficult customer interactions, and tend to store logistics like creating shelving layouts, ordering product, loss prevention, and marketing.
- Upper-level positions often include physically demanding responsibilities, as managers sometimes lift up to 100 pounds with the help of other workers.
- Managers of in-store bakeries and restaurants must possess department-specific skills.
- Such job titles often require the most prior experience to earn employment of any other job title available with the grocery chain.
- Department managers often earn $15,000 to $45,000 per year.
- Assistant manager salary options range between $30,000 and $50,000.
- Store managers may earn $40,000 on the low end and up to $70,000 in salary per year.
Tips For Applying
Full-service supermarket Hy-Vee provides customers with general groceries, baked goods, floral departments, carryout food, pharmacies, coffee shops, and wine and spirit services. Employees often specialize in certain departments or broadly assist customers storewide. Regardless of skills, every worker must maintain excellent interpersonal skills and friendly, outgoing personalities. Individuals should thrive in team environments and enjoy working toward the success of the company. The online career network makes applying easy with navigable search features and the ability to add profiles. Candidates may read through job descriptions to find qualifications and responsibilities. If displaying the appropriate skills sets, contenders may submit online applications or apply with in-person paper forms.
Email confirmations accompany online applications. In-person applicants should ask when to expect updates on forms. Sometimes, on-the-spot interviews take place for particularly promising aspirants with good traits. Job hunters may also choose to follow up on the statuses of applications by calling, emailing, or arriving at the store. In-person visits should only take place during slower hours. Hopefuls must appear professional, well-mannered, and maintain friendly smiles throughout the process. Recruiters typically reach out within a week to set up interviews with the intention of discussing experience, education, and the job duties.
Benefits of Working at Hy-Vee
On top of opportunities to buy company stock, eligible Hy-Vee associates enjoy:
- Health benefits
- Paid vacations
- Relocation assistance, and
- 401(k) retirement plans
The regional grocery store chain strives to keep positive and friendly work environments featuring ample career advancement opportunities. Employees also receive store discounts on various products.
Additional Information on Hy-Vee
Many Hy-Vee locations boast in-store coffee destinations under the Starbucks or Caribou Coffee banners. Job seekers frequently find barista jobs at the supermarket. Baristas often make from $8.00 to $9.50 an hour. The in-store pharmacy also serves as a major convenience for customers to pick up prescriptions and take care of other medical needs, often making the shopping trip a one-stop excursion. Licensed and aspiring pharmacists frequently find careers in the pharmaceutical department of the grocery store. Certified pharmacists fill prescriptions and administer vaccinations. Annual salary often starts out at $40,000 a year and peaks at around $115,000 or more, depending on position and qualifications.