IGA offers access to entry-level and professional employment opportunities featuring competitive pay and extensive job benefits. The nationwide network of independently owned grocery stores hires job seekers for both part-time, entry-level positions and full-time careers as clerks, cashiers and managers.
Facts About Working at IGA
Minimum Age to Work at IGA: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at IGA?)
IGA Hours of Operation: Typically Mon-Sat: 8:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 9:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at IGA: Cashier, customer service representative, grocery clerk, stock clerk, store manager
IGA Employee Interview Videos
IGA Job Opportunities
IGA hires entry-level workers into several positions, including cashier and store clerk. Cashiers complete sales transactions at store frontends, while clerks work in specific sections of the supermarket and provide customer service among other departmental job duties. Each location also hires managerial job hopefuls to work as supervisors, assistant managers, and store managers. Applicants must meet the minimum hiring age of 16 to work at IGA. Some stores may allow individuals younger than 16 to work with special authorization from local governments. Managerial candidates must often stand at least 18 years of age at time of employment.
As a collective of independent stores, IGA maintains a hiring process that varies by location. Most entry-level positions require little-or-no experience for employment consideration. Current employees in search of managerial opportunities or outside individuals looking for full-time work often need to hold previous experience in the supermarket industry or as a manager to gain employment.
IGA Positions and Salary InformationThe most common positions for hire at IGA grocery stores include entry-level jobs traditionally featuring part-time hours. Career opportunities as supervisors and managers also stand readily available. Applicants must meet the minimum hiring requirements and feel comfortable performing work-related responsibilities in order to gain employment consideration. Frequently available IGA jobs include:
Job Description and Duties
IGA supermarkets regularly hire entry-level job seekers to work as grocery clerks in designated store departments like bakery, deli, meat, and produce. Grocery clerk jobs involve high levels of customer interaction and various merchandising functions. Workers package merchandise, stock department shelves, and prepare products for consumer consumption. Other job duties include handling customer inquiries, helping shoppers locate items, and maintaining department cleanliness. Entry-level grocery clerk positions generally carry no formal requirements for employment consideration other than a minimum hiring age of 16 years. IGA hiring officials may favor applicants with previous grocery retail or customer service experience. Strong interpersonal skills, professional demeanors, and open schedule availability often help prospective grocery clerks secure employment.
Salary and Compensation
Grocery clerks at IGA typically earn around minimum wage to start. Depending on experience and store location, pay rates may increase over time to $9.00 or $10.00 an hour. In addition to competitive wages, IGA jobs come with flexible hours, paid on-job training, and professional growth possibilities. Motivated entry-level grocery clerks often develop the knowledge and skills necessary for advancement into leadership positions and managerial careers featuring attractive salary options and generous employee benefits packages.
- IGA jobs involve high levels of customer interaction and various merchandising functions including finalizing customer transactions and assisting store guests.
- Depending on experience and store location, pay rates may increase over time to $9.00 or $10.00 an hour but generally start around minimum wage.
- Strong interpersonal skills, professional demeanors, and open schedule availability often help prospective grocery clerks secure employment.
- Workers package merchandise, stock department shelves, and prepare products for consumer consumption.
- On average, IGA stock associates earn between $8.00 and $10.00 per hour.
- The international grocery store collective consistently hires friendly and motivated individuals to provide customer service at store locations.
- The management team develops business plans and sales strategies, monitors budgets and costs, maintains ideal inventory levels, assigns work schedules to hourly employees, and handles customer concerns.
- Department managers typically receive hourly pay rates between $10.00 and $12.00, while assistant managers generally make up to $35,000 per year. IGA store managers often enjoy salary options in excess of $50,000 annually.
- Managerial applicants should have strong business acumen and proven analytical abilities. Outstanding leadership skills and flexible full-time schedule availability also strengthen the candidacy of prospective managers.
Tips For Applying
IGA stores operate in remote locales and major cities throughout the United States. The nationwide retailer looks for individuals who embody company values and demonstrate courteous, friendly, and personable attitudes at all times. Associates need to perform manual labor on a regular basis and maintain varied schedules. Basic math skills also factor into hiring decisions for most part-time jobs. Candidates should provide detailed accounts of related work experience, if possible, to further impress hiring managers.
The application and interview processes often take a week to complete. Candidates submit applications to store management and await word regarding employment statuses. Use face-to-face interactions with hiring managers as opportunities to ask about job duties and to demonstrate strong interests in becoming a member of the crew. Making personal visits to IGA locations or calling store managers often serves as ideal methods of checking on application statuses.