Across Indianapolis and parts of Central Indiana, residential, commercial, and industrial customers receive retail electric service from Indianapolis Power & Light. Entry-level employees seeking positions in the power industry find rewarding starts with a company committed to excellence.
Facts About Working at Indianapolis Power And Light
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Indianapolis Power And Light?)
Available Positions: Customer Care Specialist, Contractor Analyst, Audit Manager, Workforce Analyst, Engineer, Project Engineer, Mechanic, Revenue Recovery Analyst, Lead Engineer, Electric Meter Specialist, Reliability Engineering and Analyst, Revenue Protection Support Team, Protection Investigator, Accounting Payroll Specialist, Accountant, Dispatcher, Substation Supervisor, Journeyman Lineman, Engineering Supervisor, Forecasting and Scheduling Analyst
Indianapolis Power & Light Job Opportunities
IPL delivers low-cost electricity coupled with top-notch service to satisfy the needs and wants of customers. The energy supplier owns and operates coal-fired generating plants, a combustion turbine, and a wind farm. Nearly 470,000 customers obtain service from the almost 528 square mile service territory. The energy outfit stands as a subsidiary of The AES Corporation since 2000. Parent company workforces consist of nearly 17,800 employees, which support the growing power needs of the world. Indianapolis Power & Light continues thriving by hiring workers passionate about providing energy to people. Opportunities remain available for both entry-level candidates and higher level corporate. Part-time and full-time hours provide job seekers more flexibility.
The company leads as one of the most reliable electrical service providers in the state. With nearly 1,500 employees, IPL relies on staff members to contribute to company success. The utility company honors commitment and encourages team members to give to communities. In the Gift Matching Program, the company matches employee donations to chosen non-profit organizations. Potential workers also normally reside in surrounding communities and genuinely care about the serviced areas. Personnel work toward creating a greener company and educating people on how to save energy.
Occupation and Salary Information for Indianapolis Power & Light
Most positions require staff members to adapt, as Indianapolis Power & Light constantly updates to stay current in the energy industry. Typical opportunities request candidates to possess high school diplomas or equivalents. Communication skills also remain desirable, as workers must interact with coworkers and customers on daily bases. Applicants with interests in energy utilities fare better against the competition and generally enjoy discussing services and assisting with concerns. Openings in the following positions occur on regular bases:
Customer Service Representative
- High volumes of inbound and outbound calls require representatives to actively communicate while managing customer accounts.
- Employees may provide technical information and explanations when discussing services and interpreting bills.
- Calls may include explaining charges and collecting payments.
- Workers must resolve complaints and problem solve to guarantee customer satisfaction.
- Applicants stand out by exhibiting exceptional computer skills, organizational abilities, and personable demeanors.
- Entry-level candidates may expect hourly wages around $12.00 with little experience required.
- The potential to earn close to $55,000 a year remains available for experienced staff members.
- Experts in the field of typing, writing, and Microsoft Office Suite readily find opportunities working as administrative clerks.
- Since employees regularly interact with the general public and other staff members through email and phone, candidates need to demonstrate professionalism at all times.
- Through exercising judgment, clerks performs complex clerical duties and detailed verifications.
- Salary options start at $32,000 and may climb to $35,000 with more related knowledge.
- Qualified applicants preferably hold high school diplomas or equivalents and three years of similar office experience.
- Other general credentials include attendance, safety, and performance levels.
Wind Turbine Technician
- Identified as a skilled position in the maintenance and repair of wind turbine systems, technicians enjoy annual pay rates of $29,000 to $31,000.
- The mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems of wind turbines receive routine preventive maintenance.
- The turbines may also need systems repairs and troubleshooting.
- Individuals with high school diplomas or equivalents meet basic requirements; however, candidates with technical trades or experience in electrical operations remain strongly preferred.
- While installing and removing wind turbine components, employees need the ability to interpret documents and follow safety rules.
- Potential workers with blueprint-reading abilities stand desirable.
- Staff members continuously perform in outside weather conditions and may occasionally operate around hazardous chemicals.
Tips For Applying
Indianapolis Power & Light only accepts applications online through a career portal. Candidates must possess contact information, email addresses, and current resumes. The company asks individuals to upload resumes in acceptable formats, DOC, DOCX, RTF, PDF, TXT, and HTML. Separate applications prove necessary if applicants identify multiple desired jobs. Some openings may require contenders to complete selection tests before qualifying for interviews. Practice materials remain available for interested job hunters and include test brochures, test-taking tips, and practice tests. Hopefuls may search through opportunities divided into openings for external candidates and current employees.
Interview processes may become lengthy and last upward of two to three months. Candidates should not contact IPL for status updates. Individuals must provide valid email addresses to receive acknowledgments. If chosen, applicants obtain email or telephone responses from recruiters. Due to the competitive nature and large intake of applications, unqualified hopefuls may not receive further contact. Job seekers should reapply for future positions if current openings fill. Prospective employees may also consider applying for multiple positions based on skills and experience levels.
Benefits of Working for Indianapolis Power & Light
Offering a broad menu of job benefits options, Indianapolis Power & Light offers group plans for new full-time employees. Medical insurance along with dental and vision display commitment to exceptional healthcare coverage. Workers stand eligible for basic life insurance as well as accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Some staff members enjoy employee assistance programs, a 24-hour nurse line, wellness plans, and disease management programs. Others seek financial security like 401(k) retirement plans and pensions. Personnel appreciate extensive paid time off in the form of vacations, holidays, sick time, and medical leave.
Supplementary Facts about Indianapolis Power & Light
IPL uses Bolty, an animated lightning bolt, as a mascot for teachers and children. Bolty’s Kids Corner educates children about electricity safety and how to use energy wisely. Parents may go online to print out activity pages, such as crossword puzzles, word searches, safety checklists, and coloring pages. The company also maintains an interactive activities book online. Children select colors and different types of brushes to create masterpieces through computer screens. Boys and girls may enjoy the falcon coloring pages and word searches, as well. Peregrine Falcons, once endangered, hatch and grow at the Harding Street Station location of IPL. Families watch chicks through online webcams as a company tradition.