A major grocery retailer primarily focused on serving rural Southeastern communities, Ingles Markets needs to staff each store location with teams of workers dedicated to providing the outstanding customer service that separates the supermarket chain from competitors. Job seekers applying for employment with the regional chain of grocery stores enjoy a varied assortment of career opportunities from which to choose. Each store hires entry-level associates and experienced managers to fulfill the wide range of services offered by the Southern grocery retailer.
Facts About Working at Ingles
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Ingles?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Stock Clerk, Store Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Ingles Market Interview Videos
Ingles Job Opportunities
Ingles carries out the hiring of new employees at the store level on a regular basis. From service clerk and cashier to supervisor and manager, the supermarket chain regularly features a variety of job titles for hire. Ingles jobs also include clerk positions widely available in various store departments, such as bakery, deli, floral, meat, and video. Entry-level workers consistently fill job openings for cashiers and clerks, while supervisory and managerial positions generally call for applicants to have previous work experience. Prospective associates earn hiring consideration by viewing current job vacancies and completing the online application form at the Careers page of the company website.
In addition to containing standard grocery store departments, many Ingles supermarkets boast onsite coffee shops, gas stations, and pharmacies. The presence of these amenities creates added employment opportunities for entry-level candidates seeking barista, gas station attendant, or pharmacy technician jobs. Experienced workers with the proper credentials may also qualify for staff pharmacist positions or careers in pharmacy management. Ingles employees often start out in entry-level positions and take advantage of frequent career advancement opportunities to move up in the supermarket chain of command.
Positions and Salary Information for Ingles
Besides opportunities for career advancement, Ingles jobs feature competitive weekly pay and flexible work schedules. All store associates must have the ability to work various combinations of night, weekend, and holiday shifts as needed. Ingles hires workers as young as 16 years old and maintains a scholarship program for workers graduating high school. Popular job titles include:
- A common starting point for many store managers and company leaders, entry-level service clerk jobs encompass an array of customer service duties primarily executed at supermarket front-ends.
- Service clerks bag groceries at checkout stations, load purchases into vehicles for customers requiring assistance, and collect shopping carts from the parking lot.
- Additional job responsibilities include cleaning and organizing store front-ends and entryways.
- Service clerks often work closely with cashiers, who use cash registers to ring up merchandise and process sales.
- Both service clerks and cashiers earn hourly pay typically ranging up to $8.00.
- Candidates applying online for stock clerk positions need to have energetic personalities and strong work ethics in order to perform essential job duties like organizing stockroom inventory, maintaining product availability on the sales floor, and building in-store displays.
- Stock clerks also help customers locate items throughout the supermarket.
- Employees working as stock clerks must have the ability to lift and move considerable amounts of weight on a regular basis.
- Like most other entry-level grocery store associates, stock clerks generally start out earning minimum wage pay and often make about $8.00 or $9.00 an hour with experience.
- Career opportunities in grocery store management typically require previous related experience and often favor applicants with relevant academic backgrounds.
- Management positions come with a variety of job titles ranging from supervisor up to store manager.
- Common job responsibilities include leading teams of entry-level associates during work shifts, ensuring the fulfillment of sales goals and financial targets, placing product orders as needed, and coordinating the execution of store layout designs.
- Managers also oversee the hiring, training, and scheduling of entry-level workers.
- Pay scales generally fall between $12.00 per hour for supervisors and $60,000 annual salary for store managers.
Tips For Applying
Applicants vying for Ingles Markets jobs must possess the ability to work open schedules, including nights, weekends, and holidays. Part-time and full-time positions require manual dexterity and stamina as well as sound communication skills. Individuals also need to display energetic, motivated attitudes. The supermarket imposes skill tests for work in various departments, such as meat and deli. Personal hygiene and punctuality play vital roles in hiring decisions, as well.
Ingles uses an online application system to screen for new workers; however, some stores may still present individuals with paper applications. Job hopefuls using electronic submissions must create profiles to fill out the forms. The profiles allow candidates to apply for as many jobs as desired in addition to checking on hiring statuses. Sending an email, placing a phone call, or visiting a location in person also provides prospective associates the ability to check on applications. Calling and visiting often prove the most beneficial methods by providing direct contact with hiring managers.
Benefits of Working at Ingles
Each associate working at Ingles supermarkets enjoys job benefits like weekly paychecks with direct deposit, flexible work schedules, and opportunities for career advancement. All eligible workers also gain access to 401(k) retirement plans, health insurance with prescription drug coverage, and family medical leave. Qualified full-time employees receive additional work benefits, such as:
- Paid vacations
- Dental and vision plans
- Flexible spending accounts, and
- Life insurance sponsored by the company.
Additional Information on Ingles
Ingles Markets primarily operate in smaller communities lacking the presence of a nationwide grocery retail chain. The Southeastern supermarket chain controls the flow of merchandise from a centralized distribution center located within 250 miles of each store location. Customers particularly enjoy meat selections featuring a wide range of cuts unavailable at most other supermarkets. Many store locations boast meat cutting rooms surrounded by glass, allowing customers to watch the expert preparation of USDA Choice Premium beef and other meats.
Eric A. Marashai says:
Store 91 is the store for me. Flexible hrs. and benefits. Clean and pleasant atmosphere.