Instacart strives to make buying groceries quick and easy. Since 2012, the company’s team has shopped for and delivered food to thousands, allowing their customers to spend more time enjoying meals with the people they love.
Facts About Working at Instacart
Minimum Age to Work at Instacart: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Instacart?)
Instacart Hours of Operation: Available 24 hours a day
Available Positions at Instacart: Full-Service Shopper/Delivery Driver, In-store Shopper, Shift Lead
Instacart Job Opportunities
Becoming an Instacart Employee
As one of the fastest growing businesses in e-commerce, Instacart often needs full-time and part-time workers to help them serve their customers. They also partner with independent contractors who handle delivery orders. Prospects for either opportunity can apply online or by downloading the company’s free app to their phone.
Working for Instacart
While some people work as Instacart employees, full-service shoppers are independent contractors. Regular staff members enjoy a range of salary options and job benefits like paid vacation, healthcare coverage and a 401(k) plan. Contractors receive pay for each delivery and work when they choose to rather than receiving these traditional perks.
Instacart Job Locations
Instacart’s service is available to customers in cities and towns throughout all 50 states. Any aspiring worker can use the mobile app or website to find areas near them or to submit an application.
How Old Do I Have to Be to Work at Instacart?
This company requires all of their employees and contractors to be at least 18 years of age.
Employment and Salary Information for Instacart
Prospects interested in working for Instacart should visit the company’s website to learn more about available openings. Although some jobs require more experience, they frequently hire for entry-level roles such as:
Full-Service Shopper/Delivery Driver
- Full-service shoppers for Instacart get notifications on their phone about a grocery order. They shop for these items at a local store and deliver them directly to the customer.
- Earnings for this role depend on many factors, including the size of the order, the distance a driver must travel and the time of the request. As contractors, shoppers choose which orders to accept and can complete as many as they would like. Drivers get paid per order and earn between $3 to $25 per hour on average.
- Workers interested in this job need to have regular access to a vehicle and recent smartphone model. They also must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- In-store shoppers receive grocery orders through the app on their phones. They shop for these items and stage them for the customer to pick up at the store.
- The pay rate for this position varies based on the size of each order. Most earn between $7 and $21 an hour depending on how often they work. In-store shoppers may work a maximum of 29 hours per week.
- These employees must have a newer smartphone they can use while working. They also should be able to lift up to 50 pounds with or without help.
- These workers help train new shoppers and ensure orders are ready on time and accurate. They also maintain equipment and the staging area and address any concerns customers, retailers or shoppers may have.
- Pay for Instacart shift leads ranges from $16 to $21 per hour, with most earning around $17.
- Shift leads must be comfortable communicating with many types of people. Applicants should have strong leadership, customer service and time management skills. They also need reliable transportation since they may to travel between stores on occasion.
Tips for Applying
Before filling out the application form on the company’s website, prospects should gather information about their previous work history. Those interested in supervisory roles must upload a resume and cover letter when applying. Delivery drivers may also need to provide license and insurance information if requested.
Checking Your Application Status
Hopefuls can follow up on their job application by emailing the company or reaching out to the person they interviewed with. Instacart also communicates with drivers and shoppers through the company’s smartphone app.
Benefits of Working at Instacart
In addition to hourly wages or a salary package, Instacart workers enjoy many other employment benefits. Typical offerings include perks such as:
- Medical insurance
- Paid time off
- Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan
Eligibility varies based on type of employment, position and length of service with the company. Those hired as independent contractors have the flexibility to work as much or as little as they like at times that fit into their schedule in lieu of benefits.
Additional Information about Instacart
Instacart works hard to create a diverse and inclusive team. The company focuses on providing opportunities for career development and mentorship to women, Black, Latinx and LGBTQ employees. They also offer additional resources to support working parents and new mothers.