A retail company of over 300 locations and around 14,000 employees, J. Crew provides sound opportunities to find meaningful employment in fashion retail. Job seekers may access roles featuring part-time and full-time hours, with generous base pay and viable avenues for career advancement.
Facts About Working at J. Crew
Minimum Age to Work at J. Crew: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at J. Crew?)
J. Crew Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 12:00pm-6:00pm
Available Positions at J. Crew: Sales Associate, Key Holder, Sales Support Representative, Personal Shopper, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Store Director, Multi-Unit Manager, Distribution Center Associate, Customer Service Representative
J. Crew Job Opportunities
J. Crew fashions incorporate everyday lifestyles with simple, clean, and sharp lines, patterns, and colors. Avoidance of overly adventurous or modern pop-chic materials and designs allows for more diverse and widespread success among the average shopper. Applicants seeking retail work may find available jobs accessible and widespread, as well. As a major international retail chain, the fashion house prominently manages locations inside shopping malls located in urban and suburban communities. The walk-in visits encountered in shopping centers and malls spur on growth and expansion, which facilitate the continued hiring of new and motivated workers passionate about fashion and customer service.
Styles and merchandise lines sold at J. Crew stores include clothing for men, women, and children. Patrons often ask sales associates questions regarding fashions, including possible recommendations. Applicants in the hunt for retail jobs with the renowned fashion chain must possess knowledge of clothing and accessories for all genders and ages. The ability to talk freely on the subjects of clothing and accessories represents a large part of daily responsibilities in addition to stocking out merchandise and completing sales transactions. Typical workdays may vary in intensity due to peak hours of operation. Holidays and other shopping-centric times of year increase volumes of customer traffic and lead to more intense job settings.
J. Crew Employment and Pay Scale Information
Workers must stand at least 18 years of age in order to receive hiring consideration for J. Crew jobs. The employment process for both part-time entry-level positions and full-time careers requires applicants to submit official application forms, in most cases. Hiring also takes place via referrals and walk-in appointments. The following list details typical jobs available for hire:
- Jobs falling under the category of sales associate include part-time and full-time opportunities.
- The entry-level position generally starts new-hire employees at minimum wage and allows for pay rate increases up to $11.00 or $12.00 with experience.
- Sales associates mainly take responsibility for interacting with customers, ringing up purchases, straightening and organizing shelves and displays, and protecting against loss.
- Applicant availability generally dictates employment status upon hire.
- Mild lifting may take place when stocking shelves or arranging displays.
- Basic mathematics and use of computers also factor into job duties.
- Fashion sense and passion for the brand serve as two major hiring points for the entry-level opportunity.
- Workers with experience in the fashion retail industry or looking to assume supervisory roles with salary pay may take interest in available careers in management.
- Specific job titles available include key holder, associate store manager, and store manager.
- Each position involves delegating daily assignments, tracking inventory, quality assurance, loss prevention, and hiring and training new employees.
- Key holders take main responsibility for store opening and closing procedures, while associate managers and store managers primarily carry out administrative functions, such as payroll, shipping and receiving coordination, and reporting sales data.
- Key holders make roughly $12.00 to $14.00 an hour.
- Pay scales increase to more than $35,000 per year, on average, for associate store managers, with store managers receiving upwards of $60,000 to $70,000 annual salary.
- High school diplomas, strong communication skills, and up to five years of experience in related roles serve as standard requirements for managerial roles.
- Associate store managers and store managers additionally need bachelor’s degrees.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should review the qualifications outlined on the company careers page prior to submitting formal hiring documents. Taking the time to review any potential positions desired may allow workers to gather materials or information necessary to submit to hiring personnel. Motivated individuals may benefit from visiting preferred locations in person and expressing interest in available jobs directly to hiring managers. In-person visits may increase odds of employment; however, fulfilling required credentials typically outweighs personal visits and levels fields of competition for job vacancies.
The J. Crew application process requires individuals to submit paper applications or online hiring documents. Workers using online means of declaring candidacy for available jobs must create usernames and passwords via the company job portal. Job seekers may return to the careers page following formal submission of employment materials to check on application statuses. Most individuals receive callbacks regarding available jobs within a week or two. Hiring managers may contact potential employees same- or next-day to schedule interviews, as well. The size of applicant pools vying for each position usually determines overall wait time.
Benefits of Working at J. Crew
Employment benefits extend to both part-time and full-time associates with the fashion retailer. Entry-level workers assuming part-time and full-time roles enjoy generous discounts on merchandise up to 30%. Managers and corporate employees enjoy further rewards, including:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off, and
- Comprehensive options covering medical, dental, and life insurance plans
Additional Information on J. Crew
The J. Crew family of brands includes an homage to old denim manufacturers called Madewell, which began in the mid-2000s. Both divisions of operations maintain online presences, including social media pages and online stores. Factory outlets and liquidation stores also operate under the control of the fashion house. The Liquor Store, The Ludlow Shop, and crewcuts serve as company-maintained brands, as well.