Department store chain JCPenney operates more than 1,000 locations in 49 states. The retailer is commonly found in shopping malls and sells clothing, appliances, and other housewares.
Facts About Working at JCPenney
Minimum Age to Work at JCPenney: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at JCPenney?)
JCPenney Hours of Operation: Typically Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:30pm; Sun: 11:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at JCPenney: Customer Service Associate, Commissioned Sales Associate, Holiday Associate, Department Supervisor, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Sales Manager, Set Execution Manager, Footwear Sales Associate, Fine Jewelry Sales Associate, Training Supervisor, Hourly Sales Support, Decorator Consultant, Salon Front Desk Associate, Salon Leader, Salon Associate, Optician, Maintenance Technician, Maintenance Mechanic, Men’s Apparel Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative, Visual Specialist, Customer Assistant, Pricing Associate, Signing Associate, Custom Decorating Installer, Checkout Clerk, Sephora Associate, Hair Stylist, Loss Prevention Officer, Associate Buyer, Replenish Associate
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
JCPenney Employee Interview VideosListen to former employees discuss working at JCPenney:
JCPenney Employment Opportunities
Available Opportunities Each store needs to hire on new workers to help customers, stock shelves, and manage employees. Some locations also include coffee shops, salons, and optical services. Store departments include clothing, appliances, electronics, and other household items.
Product Knowledge and Personalities
Some broad knowledge of each product line is required. Experience working with others is also ideal. JCPenney regularly looks to hire applicants who enjoy working with the public, are upbeat, and willing to help others.
Getting Started Most associates start out as entry-level sales staff. Upon hire, JCPenney associates typically work varied hours. This includes nights, weekends, and holidays. The chain hires seasonally, as well.
JCPenney Positions and Salary Information
Job hopefuls enjoy ongoing opportunities to find work at JCPenney. Stores hire both entry-level workers and career professionals. Workers 16 and over can apply for the following positions:
- Also known as product experts, sales associates help customers, explain products and services, and restock displays.
- Applicants should be keen problem solvers and work well with others.
- JCPenney offers the position in both part-time or full-time availabilities and the position pays minimum wage at start.
- Senior employees make as much as $12.00 or $13.00 an hour.
- Read the JCPenney sales associate job description for even more information.
- The entry-level job pays an average hourly wage of $9.00.
- Applicants must solve problems creatively and critically.
- Duties include arranging shelves and displays and organizing back storage rooms.
- JCPenney regularly looks for candidates who are self-starters with unique outlooks.
Loss Prevention Associate
- Employees safeguard products and stop theft.
- Paperwork is sometimes a regular part of the job.
- Employment requires a level head, critical thinking skills, and an active lifestyle.
- Workers take charge of stressful situations.
- The hourly position pays nearly $12.00.
- Most JCPenney loss prevention associates work full-time.
Tips For Applying
Having an open schedule benefits applicants in most cases. Workers are usually put in night and weekend roles, with holiday shifts required during certain times of the year. Employment hunters should review their availability before starting the hiring process to ensure a good fit.
New online applicants must register with the JCPenney careers network. The process requires a valid email and a random password. Candidates can check back on applications using their personal profiles. Other methods of following up include calling or visiting specific stores. Make sure to place calls or make visits during slower business hours.
Benefits of Working at JCPenney
The department store chain offers 401(k) retirement plans with up to 6% company match. Associates are also eligible for the following:
- stock purchase plans
- health coverage
- employee assistance programs
- paid time off
- sick days
- product discounts.
More Details on JCPenney
Many JCPenney stores operate full salons. Each location offers careers as professional stylists and managers. Jobs include work in hair, nails, and makeup. Candidates must be licensed and enjoy working with the general public. Salary options range from $7.00 an hour for entry-level salon employees up to $60,000 a year or more for salon managers.