With more than 45,000 employees, Jewel-Osco consistently provides great entry-level job opportunities for employment seekers. The grocer staffs almost 200 stores throughout the Midwest and provides many services common to other traditional supermarkets. Popular job titles include cashier, stock associate, deli clerk, cake decorator, and customer service representative.
Facts About Working at Jewel-Osco
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Jewel Osco?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Service Clerk, Customer Service, Stock Associate, Manager
Jewel-Osco Job Opportunities
Entry-level candidates without experience in the grocery store industry generally find work at Jewel-Osco without issue. Qualifications for work with the supermarket may require applicants to possess a high school diploma and flexible schedule availability. Dependability, honesty, outgoing personalities, and willingness to learn all prove desirable characteristics of potential workers, as well.
Additional employment opportunities with the grocery store chain include managerial careers, shift supervisor jobs, and corporate positions. Jewel-Osco likes to hire management from within, and the supermarket often screens for loyal employees searching for a career in the industry. Most employees start out as entry-level associates, with promising workers moving up to managerial positions over time. Qualifications for advanced job opportunities with the grocery store chain may consist of secondary education and/or associated experience as well as great leadership and organizational aptitude.
Jewel-Osco Employment and Pay Scales
Jewel-Osco regularly hires workers to fill both entry-level jobs and full-time careers. Applicants hoping for basic positions must typically stand 16 years of age or older. Upper-level positions sometimes carry a minimum hiring age of 18. The grocer offers part-time and full-time positions featuring great pay scales and employee benefits for qualifying associates. Potential associates may apply online for the following jobs:
- Primary responsibilities include completing transactions and providing customer service.
- Most cashier employees earn roughly $9.00 per hour.
- Desirable traits of cashier associates include friendly, attentive, and efficient workers.
- Primary job duties for Jewel-Osco store clerks include stocking and organizing shelves and displays, assisting customers with purchases, and carrying out various departmental duties, such as cutting meats or arranging flowers.
- Base pay for Jewel-Osco store clerk workers falls between minimum wage and $8.00 per hour.
- Jewel-Osco associates must demonstrate willingness to work as part of a team and friendly, personable demeanors.
- The most prevalent job duties for Jewel-Osco managers include hiring, training, supervising, and scheduling subordinate workers.
- Managers working for Jewel-Osco earn between $35,000 and $70,000 annual salary, on average.
- Basic hiring requirements include previous experience working for a grocery store or as a manager and the ability to effectively delegate, organize, and train workers.
- Jewel-Osco only hires candidates 18 years of age and older for management positions.
Tips For Applying
Most workers pass through multiple stages to gain employment during the Jewel-Osco hiring process. Depending on the position desired, individuals may need to sit through successive interviews with staff and/or submit to drug screenings. Background checks also prove pivotal parts of the employment process. Applicants should understand submitting hiring forms may not automatically qualify hopefuls for review. However, the chain maintains applications on file for up to six months, in most cases.
The Jewel-Osco hiring process may take anywhere from one day to a few months to complete. In most cases, job hopefuls pass through the necessary procedures to receive employment consideration in a week or two. Individuals with experience in the industry or referred by current employees may complete the process in less than a week. Online applicants may check on hiring statuses via individual careers profiles. Logging into the company job portal allows real-time updating on applications. A simple phone call or visit to a local store also provides chances to ask about hiring statuses and prime opportunities to inquire more into workplace cultures and positions desired.
Benefits of Working at Jewel-Osco
Supermarket retailers offer employment hopefuls a wide range of job benefits. Grocery store employees enjoy a fun, diverse, and supportive work environment. Paid training opportunities and advancement potential help motivated workers reach career goals. Jewel-Osco stores also offer flexible work schedules, competitive base pay, and attractive salary options. Qualified employees gain access to exceptional benefits packages. Worker benefits include: financial perks, such as:
- 401(k) retirement plans and pension plans
- Insurance coverage
- Paid time off, and
- Employee discounts.
Employees also receive complimentary nametags and uniforms.
More Details on Jewel-Osco
Jewel-Osco supports a number of non-profit organizations and remains involved in each community where stores are located. The supermarket often helps organizations that address socioeconomic issues like hunger and malnutrition due to poverty. Non-profit groups that promote good nutrition and healthy lifestyles also enjoy the support of the grocery store chain. A recycling program initiated by the supermarket in 2009 assists in keeping tons of plastic from entering landfills each year. Jewel-Osco encourages patrons to reuse grocery bags each time they return to the store, demonstrating care for the environment and sustainability.