Katten is a firm of first choice for clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services in the United States and abroad. Our nationally recognized practices include corporate, financial services, litigation, real estate, environmental, commercial finance, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, and trusts and estates. Our more than 650 attorneys serve public and private companies, including a third of the Fortune 100, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals. We provide full-service legal advice from locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
Summary for the Billing Coordinator
The Billing Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day administration of billing procedures including direction of accurate cash applications and management/preparation of complex client billing and e-billing by compiling data from client billing guidelines and preparing invoices. Actively focuses on attorney/client/Firm billing requirements. This position requires heavy client and attorney contact. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Limited time off from November 15th through January 31st in order to meet Billing, E-Billing and Collection deadlines at year-end.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work directly with attorneys and Legal Executive Assistants/Legal Administrative Assistants to prepare client invoices.
- Utilize computerized accounting and billing software programs to enter and compile data.
- Pre-review of pre-bills for accuracy and non-billable entries (per specific client guidelines or minimal dollar value) prior to forwarding to attorneys for review.
- Prepare invoices and e-bills according to attorney and client billing guidelines.
- Submit e-bills to client and third party vendors. Track the e-billing progress and resolve any issues until it is approved by the client.
- Coordinate with attorney and/or Legal Executive Assistants/Legal Administrative Assistants regarding transmittal of paper invoices.
- Assist Accounting Department, when necessary, to determine how payments are to be applied against invoices. Assist Collection Department with necessary research when payments do not match invoice amounts and resolve any discrepancies.
- Revise invoices per attorney/client/Collection Department requests.
- Revise rejected e-billed invoices per client request.
- Reconcile discrepancies and/or issues that may arise by conducting complex and detailed analysis of billing inaccuracies. Reconcile accounts where funds are misapplied as appropriate.
- Preparation of Excel spreadsheets requested by attorneys to benefit client relations.
- High level customer service focus when working with clients and attorneys.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly reports as requested by upper management.
- Maintenance of pre-bill notes, including critical information needed to prepare invoices, as well as, client specific information.
- Preparation of write-off authorization forms, including appropriate approvals.
- Assist the Accounting Manager with special projects when necessary.
- Provide backup to other Firm office locations in preparing invoices and /or correcting pre-bills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent (Bachelor s degree preferred) and six or more years progressive billing/e-billing experience, preferably in a large legal or professional services firm are required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have working knowledge of an automated accounting and collection system (preferably CMS/Aderant). Knowledge of general accounting principles preferred.
- Computer proficient with experience and working knowledge of LegalKEY, Excel, Outlook, and MS Word preferred.
- Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to conduct analysis of complex client billing problems, reconciliation of billing related issues, ability to multi-task with numerous reports simultaneously.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, and ensure work is completed within strict deadlines. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report/excel format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position s responsibilities.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, processing complex client billing, preparing various billing reports, reconciling appropriation of account funds, and processing write-offs.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, prepare complex client billing, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position. Ability to work overtime when required at month-end and year-end in order to process heavy volume of client billing.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.