One of the many banners of The Kroger Company, King Soopers offers employment opportunities for entry-level workers and career-minded individuals alike. Located mostly in the State of Colorado, the regional supermarket provides deli, dairy, meat, and seafood selections as well as fresh produce, frozen foods, baked goods, and other daily necessities. The vast array of offerings enables a litany of entry-level customer service and store maintenance positions. Management sees to the smooth operation of each department and the overall success of respective locations.
Facts About Working at King Soopers
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at King Soopers?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Clerk, Meat Cutter, Produce Clerk, Bakery Clerk, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
King Sooper Interview Videos
King Soopers Job Outlook
Regular customer service jobs like cashier or courtesy clerk represent opportunities needing no prior experience in retail or the supermarket industry. King Soopers looks for entry-level workers with kind demeanors and strong work ethics to routinely assist patrons with checkout, bagging, and other simple tasks. Hard-working applicants who secure basic customer service jobs often enjoy advancement opportunities with the grocery store chain and eventually find full-time careers in the supermarket industry.
Upper-level job seekers must often possess several years of related experience and a high school diploma or secondary education to obtain jobs with King Soopers. Professional full-time employees often earn generous base salaries to compensate for heavy workloads and additional responsibilities. Management associates also enjoy great employee benefits plans and paid vacation time, as well. Employment hunters looking for meaningful careers in the supermarket industry should complete and submit an online application for hiring consideration.
King Soopers Employment Opportunities and Pay Scales
With the exception of courtesy clerk applicants, King Soopers requires most potential associates to stand 18 years or older to earn hiring consideration. Applicants vying for courtesy clerk positions must meet the age minimum of 16. The supermarket commonly provides job openings for some of the following positions:
- Each department needs to hire on clerk associates to welcome and assist customers, fill orders, stock shelves, sanitize stations, and tend to other department specific duties.
- Bending, reaching, and carrying stock prove routine occurrences for most clerk positions, and associates must maintain the ability lift and push between 25 and 50 pounds.
- King Soopers courtesy clerks typically bag items and gather carts from the parking lot or around the store.
- Courtesy clerk jobs serve as great opportunities for first time workers with hourly pay starting out around minimum wage and topping off at $8.00 or $9.00.
- The supermarket awards experienced workers with higher pay.
- More demanding clerk position wages start off at $8.00 per hour and peak as high as $17.00.
- King Soopers cashiers work at the front end of the store scanning items, finalizing customer purchases, and responsibly handling multiple forms of payment.
- Cashiers may perform other duties when requested by managers.
- Associates lift 15 to 25 lbs. on a continuous basis and must stand on foot for long periods of time during given shifts.
- Cashier pay often starts around $8.00 per hour and plateaus at $16.00 or so.
- Store manager and manager-in-training remain the most common upper-level job offerings at King Soopers stores.
- Store managers must possess bachelor’s degrees or substantial experience in the retail or supermarket industry.
- Responsibilities include recruiting, training, and communicating with employees, merchandising, and ordering products.
- Manager-in-training associates assist store managers with duties.
- Prime customer service and leadership skills prove mandatory for upper-level associates.
- Managers often handle heavy products, and lifting or pushing 50 to 75 lbs. remains a regular occurrence.
- A typical manager-in-training makes between $17.00 and $19.00 an hour, while store managers enjoy annual salary options as high as $75,000.
Tips For Applying
Job applicants must possess excellent hygiene, sincere communication skills, physical stamina, and open schedules to gain employment in the supermarket industry. Specifically, King Soopers grocery stores rank honesty and integrity among top characteristics of new-hires. Each position offers candidates full descriptions of duties and expectations online via the company careers page. Scan through the information for each job posting prior to filling out the required hiring forms. Tailoring the documents to fit the general responsibilities of the roles regularly increases odds of employment.
Utilizing the online hiring platform sponsored by parent company Kroger Co., King Soopers allows workers submitting electronic documents to log into personal profiles and check on application statuses as desired. Management traditionally updates the career profiles in real-time as staffing decisions take place. Conversely, job hopefuls using paper applications must check on the documents via telephone or in-person visits. In either case, the hiring forms may take a few days to process. Wait at least two or three days to place phone calls or visit managers onsite.
Benefits of Working at King Soopers
Parent company Kroger provides qualified King Soopers employees with lavish employee benefits. The grocery store offers multiple medical insurance plans to choose from, including preventative medical coverage, healthy living incentives, and prescription coverage. Eligible associates also receive:
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Flexible spending accounts, and
- Paid vacation and sick days
Additional Information on King Soopers
King Soopers stores often employ associates to welcome patrons and thank customers for shopping at the supermarket. Known as greeters, the workers primarily demonstrate courteous and friendly attitudes as well as protect store assets. Greeters must respond to Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) alarms in cases of shoplifting or other emergencies. Associates must act professionally and respectful toward customers and work as part of a team at all times. The regional grocery store chain often posts part-time greeter job openings online.