Kmart is a chain of department stores known for its inviting atmosphere and low prices. The first retail store opened in 1962. The company acquired and merged with Sears in 2004.
Facts About Working at Kmart
Minimum Age to Work at Kmart: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Kmart?)
Kmart Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 8:00am-9:00 pm; Sun: 9:00am-9:00pm
Available Positions at Kmart: Associate, cashier, district manager, manager, stocker, warehouse worker
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
KMart Employees Video Playlist
Kmart Employment Opportunities
Kmart employs more than 250,000 workers in a wide range of positions, from careers as pharmacy technicians and managers to cashiers and stocking associates. Prior work experience in a department store is helpful, but not always necessary.
Full-time, part-time, and seasonal jobs can be attained at Kmart. Motivated entry-level personnel can expect raises, occasional bonuses, and promotions, over time. Managers often need to possess Bachelor’s degrees and should have five years of experience in a retail environment.
Kmart Job Titles and Pay Rates
Many Kmart positions simply require the associate to be 16 years of age or older. A positive demeanor and outstanding attendance habits are expected from every worker.
- The major responsibilities for Kmart cashiers include maintaining a cash drawer, accurately completing transactions, and providing top-notch customer service.
- Employees should expect to stand for their entire shift.
- Basic reading and math aptitudes are important, as well as strong communication skills and upbeat attitudes.
- The starting pay is usually minimum hourly wage, with the possibility of advancing to around $10.00 an hour.
- For more job duties and pay scale information, access the Kmart cashier job description.
- Customer service associates should be familiar with the store layout and services offered to best serve shoppers.
- Employees must be professional and courteous at all times.
- Kmart associates may have to move merchandise, in addition to bending, stretching, and reaching often.
- The typical salary is $10.00 an hour, with some experienced employees earning a wage of up to $14.00.
- Browse the Kmart stock clerk job description for more details on store associate jobs.
- Managers oversee store operations and make personnel decisions.
- Kmart managers typically need backgrounds in retail management as well as meet further education requirements to be considered.
- Assistant managers earn up to $45,000 a year, while store managers may earn yearly salary options of up to $70,000.
- Learn more with the Kmart manager job description.
Tips for Applying
Candidates can read through a list of available jobs in their area on Kmart’s website, or use a search bar to narrow things down. Links to online application forms are included on the page for each job posting. Resumes can be uploaded, and LinkedIn or Facebook profiles can be imported to speed up the process. Prospects will need to fill out detailed questionnaires after submitting their resumes. Applying for multiple positions is encouraged.
Job Application Status
The entire hiring process takes about two weeks. After applying online, prospects usually receive phone calls from Kmart HR representatives within a few days. There may be up to two job interviews required before candidates are offered a position. A post-interview follow-up call to the store is recommended if no progress has been made after a week.
Benefits when Working at Kmart
Kmart offers their associates numerous employment benefits, such as:
- Paid vacations
- A 10 percent discount on the majority of in-store items.
- Medical insurance is available, in addition to dental coverage
- Health care flexible spending accounts.
Individuals may also explore optional retirement such as 401(k) plans, in addition to disability and other financial benefits.
Additional Information about Kmart
Kmart employees are encouraged to take advantage of numerous college programs designed to help them grow and keep their skills up to date. Among these are internships and undergraduate programs, as well as MBA, graduate, and senior leadership courses. In keeping with their generous nature, the business employs over 30,000 military veterans and 1,500 members of the Reserve and National Guard.