Kohl's is a department store chain found across the country. Started as a corner grocer in the 1920s, it's now one of the largest retailers in the US, selling clothing, furniture, electronics, and a variety of other home goods.
Facts About Working at Kohls
Minimum Age to Work at Kohls: 17 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Kohl's?)
Kohls Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 8:00am-10:00pm; Sat: 8:00am-11:00pm; Sun: 9:00am-9:00pm
Available Positions at Kohls: Cashier, customer service associate, freight associate, POS associate, sales associate, store associate
Kohl’s Employee Interview Videos
Listen to former employees discuss working at Kohl’s :
Kohl’s Employment Opportunities
Kohl’s runs about 1,000 stores and continues to grow, creating new entry-level job opportunities. In-store work commonly includes customer service or stocking. Hiring managers look for people with strong communication skills and positive attitudes. Candidates initially turned down may be considered for later openings.
Duties and Scheduling
The average employee works part-time but should have open availability. Daily duties include walking the sales floor and assisting customers, therefore applicants should show interest in helping others. Workers must also stock shelves and price check items. Some physical labor may be necessary, as well.
Kohl’s Positions and Pay Scales
The minimum hiring age is 16, though some positions require high school diplomas. Associates don’t need previous experience to qualify. The following job titles are hiring:
- POS associates, or cashiers, ring up purchases.
- Duties include taking payments, bagging items, and explaining current promotions.
- Most POS employees start at minimum wage and can earn up to $10.00 an hour. Individuals should look presentable at all times.
- Review additional requirements with the Kohl’s cashier job description.
Customer Service Associate
- A typical customer service associate earns $8.00 hourly.
- Workers process returns, find items for patrons, keep stores orderly, and assist cashiers as needed.
- Employees must be calm, courteous, and able to work in fast-paced environments.
- Read on the Kohl’s sales associate job description for further information.
- Freight associate duties include receiving shipments, organizing back rooms, and stocking shelves.
- Other job duties include inspecting items and repricing inventory.
- Employees may need to work varied shifts.
- The hourly position starts at minimum wage.
Tips for Applying
When applying online, individuals must create a profile with the company job network. Provide basic contact information and upload a current resume. Applicants then search openings and select desired positions. Paper applications are available in store.
To check on applications, log on to the company job network. If there’s no change in status, reach out to hiring managers. Keep all calls and emails polite yet direct in hopes of securing an interview.
Benefits of Working at Kohl’s
Employment benefits vary depending on part-time or full-time status. All workers receive discounts on products and services. Other job benefits include:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Stock options
- Tuition assistance
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Performance bonuses are also provided.
Additional Details on Kohl’s
Kohl’s offers shoppers a Yes2You Rewards program. Customers can print Kohl’s cash, track shipments, and use express checkout all in one convenient place. Interested individuals may sign up for the program on the company website. Consumers need a valid email and password to begin.
Seasonal Job Openings
What Types of Jobs are Available?
Hiring for seasonal jobs begins in late September. Seasonal jobs range from seasonal stock clerk and seasonal cashier opportunities to seasonal freight associate and seasonal sales associate positions. Kohl’s generally offers seasonal assistant manager and loss prevention jobs, as well.
Hours and Pay
Most employment opportunities feature part-time hours. However, some stores may offer full-time seasonal jobs. Part-time seasonal jobs typically come with starting pay around $8.00 to $9.00 per hour. Depending on experience and need, some stores may offer seasonal employees wages up $15.00 per hour. Seasonal jobs generally feature part-time scheduling but may offer full-time hours in some cases.
Upon completing the holiday season, many seasonal jobs turn into permanent employment opportunities. Workers may then advance into management positions and other salaried jobs with experience gained.