Lids maintains more than 1,000 locations in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico under greater parent company Genesco Inc. Widely known for selling officially branded and licensed headwear and providing custom embroidery services, the retailer hires on quality employees to provide customer service at each location.
Facts About Working at Lids
Minimum Age to Work at Lids: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Lids?)
Lids Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at Lids: Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, District Sales Manager, Administrative - Clerical Associate, Customer Service Associate, Information Technology Assoiciate, Manager, Sales Associate, Trainer
Lids Employee Interview Videos
Job Opportunities with Lids
Usually located inside busy shopping malls, Lids stores must hire associates with the ability to work under pressure in high-intensity job settings. Ideal entry-level candidates possess knowledge of sports and popular products sold by the retailer. The hat store wants to hire on new crew members with friendly and team-oriented personalities, as well. Previous customer service experience often aids prospective workers in gaining employment with the retail establishment.
Career-tested professionals seeking managerial roles must generally hold at least one year of related work experience for employment consideration. Managerial job descriptions prove lengthy, and retail leaders must possess excellent communication skills and organizational abilities. Depending on the size of the location, upper-level employees may need to work alone on some occasions. Discover job openings and complete the application process at the Careers portion of the company website.
Lids Positions and Salary Information
Lids offers a number of jobs at the store level. The retail company must hire motivated and hardworking employees to fill entry-level jobs and professional careers in multiple retail areas. Applicants choose from a variety of job titles with exceptional base pay rates. Workers 18 and older may apply for the following jobs:
Job Description and Duties
- Owned and operated by Hat World Inc., Lids maintains retail stores throughout the United States and hires entry-level job seekers into stocker positions to staff roughly 1,000 locations.
- Employment opportunities as stocker associates require applicants to stand at least 16 years of age at time of hire and to feel comfortable performing manual labor.
- Specific job duties include stocking shelves, loading and unloading inventory from delivery trucks, organizing backroom and sales floor areas, and building displays.
- Lids stockers may also carry out sales-related responsibilities as needed.
- Hiring requirements often include the ability to lift up to 75lbs. and work flexible schedules, including nights and weekends.
Salary and Compensation
- Lids stockers receive minimum wage starting pay upon hire.
- Like other entry-level positions available with the nationwide retailer, Lids stocker jobs provide avenues for employees to receive increases in hourly pay and advance into supervisory or managerial roles within the company.
- An experienced stocker may earn as much as $10.00 per hour.
- Workers assuming assistant manager roles earn between $10.00 and $12.00 an hour, on average.
- Lids stands as an excellent employment opportunity for workers in search of entry-level jobs.
- A Lids sales associate greets customers, provides product knowledge, employs suggestive selling techniques, and completes customer transactions on the cash register.
- The headwear retailer looks for workers with passion for customer service and strong salesmanship.
- Sales team members also stock products and assist managers with inventory.
- Associates must possess the ability to work independently, as small store settings call for fewer employees to work at the same time.
- Sales associates generally start out earning around minimum wage pay, with experienced workers grossing $9.00 an hour in some cases.
- Read more about the Sales Associate position inclduing interview with former associate.
- The assistant manager provides support for the store manager.
- Job duties include opening and closing stores, training and supervising employees, and providing great customer service at all times.
- Additional tasks include driving sales, monitoring inventory, recordkeeping, and processing shipments.
- Assistant managers must comply with company policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Additionally, assistant managers must maintain professional appearances consistent with company dress codes.
- Assistant manager pay typically rests between $10.00 and $13.00 per hour.
Job Description and Duties
- Managers at Lids execute company policies to ensure successful business operations at store locations.
- Job seekers at least 18 years of age may apply for assistant manager and store manager positions.
- Typical workdays involve driving sales to achieve financial objectives, monitoring budgets and costs, maintaining proper inventory levels, assigning daily jobs to hourly employees, and communicating with corporate offices.
- Managers also hire and train entry-level sales workers, prepare employee work schedules, and ensure storewide customer satisfaction.
- In addition to meeting minimum age requirements, applicants need to have a high school diploma and previous management experience.
- Lids store manager jobs often require a valid driver’s license and current auto insurance coverage, as well.
- Candidates should have strong communication and interpersonal skills, computer proficiency, and the ability to perform moderately physical labor as needed.
- Professional appearances also help prospective managers gain hiring consideration.
Salary and Compensation
- Annual salary options for Lids managers vary according to job title and location.
- Assistant managers typically earn around $25,000 per year to start, while store managers often make $35,000 or more annually.
- Pay scales generally increase with experience, sales commissions, and potential bonuses.
- Other possible employment benefits include healthcare coverage, paid time off, career advancement opportunities, and merchandise discounts.
Tips For Applying
Applicants must apply online to begin the hiring process. By visiting the Lids website and clicking on the Career Opportunities tab at the bottom of the page, workers gain access to company information and job search directions. The constantly growing retailer displays employment opportunities for upcoming store openings as well as job vacancies at established locations. After finding a suitable position at a desired store, workers must upload a resume, submit basic personal and contact information, and answer basic pre-employment questions. Candidates should read directions carefully during each step of the application process in order to provide accurate information on the hiring form.
Hiring managers typically contact suitable applicants within a week of receiving and reviewing applications. Most candidates hear from managers by phone. Applicants should wait four to five days before calling in to check on the application status, as hectic working conditions may inhibit managers from reviewing hiring requests immediately. Job hopefuls may find visiting the store of desired employment helpful during slower business hours to politely ask the manager if she received the application. Applicants should wear attire to similar current employees to demonstrate compatibility with the brand when following up. Remain respectful of the manager’s time, and do not push for an answer if the manager seems busy.
Benefits of Working at Lids
The hat retailer provides employment benefits to satisfy a number of personal wants and basic needs. Lids job benefits packages include plans for health and wellness, future savings, and personal development. Eligible associates enjoy a comprehensive healthcare plan and dental insurance. Savings plans available to qualified workers include 401(k) retirement plans and employee stock purchase programs. Career and personal development benefits include employee scholarship programs, service awards, education assistance, adoption assistance, and internal job postings.
Additional Information on Lids
Lids operates many locations in shopping malls. Despite large volumes in sales, the stores often prove small in size and contain mostly hats and embroidering services. An expansive organization, the company maintains additional retail venues under the names Lids Locker Room and Lids Clubhouse. Locker Room stores boast an extensive inventory of hats, jerseys, jackets, and other sports gear. Some stores even focus on carrying merchandise for one specific team. The company utilizes the Clubhouse brand to partner with various collegiate or professional athletic associations and runs team-specific retail stores on college campuses or in major cities. Clubhouse stores also host various events at stadiums during games. The headwear and athletic gear company needs to hire knowledgeable employees with unmatched team spirit to provide customer service to fans.