A subsidiary of CVS Health since 2008, Longs Drugs operates over 500 locations, with some still carrying the original name. As part of one of the largest pharmacy retail chains in the U.S., the company regularly hires on new workers to fill a variety of positions.
Facts About Working at Longs Drugs
Minimum Age to Work at Longs Drugs: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Longs Drugs?)
Longs Drugs Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 8:00am-10:00pm; Sat: 8:00am-10:00pm; Sun: 8:00am-10:00pm
Available Positions at Longs Drugs: Sales Associate, Beauty Care Associate, Beauty 360 Consultant, Customer Service Representative, Pharmacy Service Associate, Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacist, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Pharmacy Manager, Pharmacy Manager, Distribution Center Associate, Shipping and Receiving Associate, Forklift Operator, Truck Driver
Longs Drugs Job Opportunities
The Longs Drugs name endures in the island state with a strong and longstanding presence in Hawaii. Hiring for a multitude of pharmacy and retail positions, the drugstore chain offers both entry-level employment opportunities and career-oriented roles. Successful candidates perform excellent customer service, work well in teams, and retain flexible availabilities, as most positions qualify as either part-time or full-time in nature. Minimum hiring requirements generally apply for most entry-level positions, while additional schooling, certifications, and experience may prove necessary for more advanced and long-term employment opportunities.
Entry-level jobs with Longs Drugs generally include customer service positions within the retail side of the pharmacy chain. Responsible for creating pleasant customer interactions and holding service-minded attitudes, most entry-level employees work under job titles like clerk, stockperson, or cashier. Mid-level pharmacy technician positions regularly become available for hire, as well. As assistants to pharmacists, technicians take accountability for interacting with pharmacy customers, providing valuable information, and filling prescriptions according to physician instruction. Both internal and external candidates for managerial positions may qualify for employment through an integrated training program. Managers work to maintain corporate sales, employee performances, and operational goals on a daily basis.
Longs Drugs Positions and Salary Information
The pharmacy retailer necessitates applicants to stand at least 18 years old when applying for various positions, including entry-level jobs such as customer service associates. Other positions may require additional certifications and academic credentials. The most commonly available roles include:
Customer Service Representative
- Primarily serving as cashiers and stockpersons with the pharmacy retail chain, customer service representatives generally earn between minimum wage and $9.00 an hour.
- Job duties include assisting and interacting with customers, replenishing merchandise as needed, unloading deliveries, and taking payments for purchases.
- Customer service representatives should possess excellent interpersonal skills and strong organizational capabilities.
- Employees usually work part-time shifts at first and average between 15 and 30 hours on the job each week.
- Pharmacy technicians ensure customers receive quality care while meeting all federal health and safety standards.
- In addition, employees must sort medications correctly, create accurate labels, review any side effects with patients, and typically complete purchases with customers.
- While a high school diploma or GED may sufficiently meet education expectations, most pharmacy technicians must also obtain additional certifications and typically do so with company support.
- A pharmacy technician may earn between $12.00 and $13.00 an hour.
Learn the requirements to becoming a pharmacist.
- Successful managers maintain engaged store teams through demonstration of strong initiative and leading by example.
- Managers maintain overall supervision of the store, implement company policies, and effectively hire, train, and develop new workers.
- Customer service should always remain at the forefront of managerial responsibilities, with concentrated focus on strong sales strategies, customer satisfaction, and strong team mentalities.
- Entry-level associates may receive promotion to management by participating in the company leadership program or management trainee initiatives.
- Managers should possess a minimum of one year of retail management experience, while holding a college degree may also prove beneficial in the overall hiring process.
- Assistant store managers typically earn around $45,000 in yearly salary, while store managers enjoy the possibility of earning up to $80,000 a year, depending on store location, tenure, and overall experience.
Tips For Applying
Applicants interested in applying for Longs Drugs jobs most typically utilize the company job portal online. After first creating a profile, job seekers may apply for multiple positions by using stored information. Candidates should gather hiring materials before submitting profiles in order to ensure information provided remains complete, free of misspellings, and accurate. Some applicants may wish to fill out the forms in person. When doing so, dress accordingly, as applicants wearing business-casual attire generally project genuine desire for employment and may receive preferential hiring treatment over less prepared job seekers.
Candidates generally hear back from hiring personnel within one to two weeks for most entry-level positions. Professional career opportunities may feature a longer hiring process, as human resource officials may need to check on certifications and educational qualifications. For job seekers determined to gain employment, calling or visiting the preferred location of hire may prove beneficial. When trying to ascertain job statuses, candidates should remain aware and respectful of the schedules and duties of hiring managers. Call or arrive at locations during off-peak hours and ask to speak to managers directly, if possible. Remember to remain polite and refrain from keeping the manager too long.
Benefits of Working at Longs Drugs
The drugstore and pharmacy chain offers a comprehensive work benefits package in addition to market-competitive pay, flexible scheduling, and positive work/life balance. Along with coverage for medical, dental, prescription drug and vision expenses, employees may gain access to health and wellness programs, including free health screenings and immunizations from the company MinuteClinic. Eligible employees also receive various retirement benefits, including enrollment in company 401(k) retirement plans and employee stock purchase programs. Other work benefits include:
- Vacation and paid time off
- Adoption and education assistance programs, and
- Merchandise discounts.
Further Information about Longs Drugs
As a subsidiary of the largest drugstore chain in the nation, Longs Drugs offers customers many of the same advantages already offered by CVS Health. Even under new ownership, the pharmacy chain retained much of the same staff, kept all prescription records on file, and now accepts all major health plans. Customers may also utilize competitor coupons and access new services, including MinuteClinic and the ExtraCare program. Consumers may utilize online accounts to refill or order prescriptions, as well.