With a firm foundation along the U.S. Eastern Seaboard in the many, large metropolitan areas in the region, department store chain Lord & Taylor caters to upscale, specialty brands. First opened in 1826, the retailer now operates 50 stores, with additional locations in the Midwestern markets of Detroit and Chicago.
Facts About Working at Lord And Taylor
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Lord And Taylor?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Beauty Advisor, Cosemetics Counter Manager, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Area Sales Manager, Fine Jewelry Sales Manager, Operations Manager, Human Resources Coordinator, Human Resources Manager, Area Human Resources Manager, Loss Prevention Investigator, Trimmer, Visual Manager, Assistant Buyer, Assistant Planner, Buyer, Planner
Lord & Taylor Job Opportunities
Lord & Taylor consistently hires on both entry-level store associates and career-minded managerial candidates with regularity. The retailer seeks motivated, energetic, and team-oriented individuals to fill a multitude of roles in various departments throughout each store. Employees enjoy several avenues for finding meaningful employment due to the popular products lines and type of merchandise sold in store. Workers enjoy competitive pay scales, including opportunities for commission, paid training, flexible scheduling and access to career development programs, as well.
Managerial workers fulfill a variety of roles with the upscale department store. From leading subordinates in various departments to hiring and training new staff, supervisors must demonstrate an applicable knowledge of retail sales and preferably come with high levels of education. Managers work together to build solid foundations with sales teams, maintain and exceed corporate goals and expectations, and provide consistent leadership. The Lord & Taylor management team typically breaks down into department managers, assistant store managers, and store managers, with promotion from within remaining a consistent goal for the department store chain.
Positions and Salary Information for Lord & Taylor
Jobs available at the high-end retailer include both entry-level customer service jobs and managerial openings. Workers enjoy both part-time and full-time opportunities, with scheduling flexibility and possibility for advancement commonplace. Applicants must stand at least 18 years of age to apply for the following positions:
- Sales associates take responsibility for actively engaging customers, maintaining each work area, and generating profits through consistent salesmanship.
- Typically a part-time position, associates sometimes work in commission-based pay situations, as well.
- Sales team members assist customers with merchandise selections, while ensuring overall shopping experiences remain positive.
- Previous experience working in retail and knowledge of current trends benefits applicants, though candidates without related credentials may still qualify for employment with the department store chain.
- Sales associates typically earn around $8.00 an hour to start, though the opportunity to earn commissions may raise wages to as much as $12.00 per hour.
Cosmetics Beauty Advisor
- Beauty advisors assist customers in the cosmetics department and generate sales through determining customer wants and needs.
- These employees help determine product selection for consumers, perform skincare consultations, and fragrance sessions.
- Successful beauty advisors should possess comprehensive product knowledge and must meet daily and weekly sales goals.
- Workers also retain responsibility for department cleanliness, merchandising, and appropriate stock.
- Cosmetics beauty advisors earn hourly pay starting at $8.00.
- The retail chain offers managerial careers for motivated candidates with familiarity in the industry.
- Ideal applicants effectively execute company strategies, sales goals, and marketing plans in order to meet corporate expectations.
- Managers maintain responsibility for motivating and coaching staff, oversee product placement, and correlate labor hours with sales.
- In each department, supervisors work varying schedules leading teams of subordinates through daily operations while earning around $30,000 a year at start.
- Assistant store managers and store managers, as a general rule, work full-time and earn yearly salary options between $40,000 and $80,000, in accordance with experience and tenure with the retailer.
Tips for Applying
Interested job seekers may apply either online or at the preferred store of employment. If applying online, applicants may want to create a profile on the company job portal, which typically leads to faster applying for multiple positions. Candidates may upload resumes or CVs, share background information and work history, and education credentials all in a few easy steps. Online profiles typically stay active for 60 days. For applicants applying in person, bring along a copy of a current resume to submit with a fully completed, legible application.
Hiring personnel typically respond to applications within one to two weeks, depending on the volume of applicants vying for similar positions. Candidates for hiring consideration may hear back from hiring managers via telephone or email. Job hunters may wish to follow up on the status of submitted application forms. The best way to do so may prove in person, as managers often put faces to names, and may even interview on the spot. Keep phone calls and visits to stores respectful, as overburdening managers with requests may prove rude or disastrous to hiring prospects.
Benefits of Working at Lord & Taylor
Crew members enjoy comprehensive work benefits packages. Upon hire, associates receive paid training, flexible scheduling, and competitive base pay. Eligible workers may also receive:
- Healthcare coverage
- 401(k) retirement plans, and
- Paid personal days.
Discounts on store merchandise also exist for qualified employees.
More Information on Lord & Taylor
In order to keep abreast of emerging shopping patterns and interests, Lord & Taylor recently developed partnerships with two third-party shopping mobile phone apps. One, called SnipSnap sends shoppers redeemable in-store coupons whenever around 500 yards from one of the retail locations. Another, called Pounce, allows shoppers to scan catalogs, adding purchases to a queue, as well as give further details about products listed. With no integrated store app yet, the company plans on continuing to offer customers the best shopping experience to match the times as possible.