Starting in 1921, Lowe's was a single, small-town hardware store in North Carolina. Today, the company is one of the largest home improvement retail chains in the world. Headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina, the brand has over 2,000 stores and sells a variety of products including hardware, appliances, paint, flooring, seasonal items, and more.
Facts About Working at Lowe's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Lowe's?)
Available Positions: Assistant manager, cashier, customer service associate, receiver, sales associate, store manager
Lowe’s Employee Interview Videos
Listen to former employees discuss working at Lowe’s:
Lowe’s Job Opportunities
What Are Common Job Duties For Lowe’s Employees?
Most jobs involve some form of manual labor. Lowe’s employees carry purchases to customer’s cars and move merchandise around the sales floor. Workers may use heavy equipment like forklifts and motorized carts to retrieve items. Other common duties include restocking shelves, guiding customers to desired products and organizing backroom storage areas.
What Skills Or Experience Should You Have?
Job hopefuls should have experience working in a retail environment. Strong communication skills are a must. Associates often assist customers by identifying the products they need. Therefore, prospects should know about the variety of items in the store. Hiring managers prefer applicants familiar with power tools, hardware, appliances, lawn and garden and other areas of the store.
Do You Need A Degree To Work At Lowe’s?
Staff members do not need a college degree to work at Lowe’s. Supervisors must have a High School Diploma plus three to five years of working in retail. Past hardware store employees have preference when applying for a management position. Hopefuls should also have a strong working knowledge of computer systems and handheld devices.
What Is Lowe’s Starting Pay?
The starting pay for Lowe’s employees depends on amount of experience and job title. Cashiers make around $11.00 an hour while customer service associates and head cashiers may earn more. Resource and department managers receive either an hourly pay or annual salaries.
What Are Some Job Positions At Lowe’s?
Lowe’s hires people who are 18 years of age and older. Candidates should be familiar with the industry if they want to gain employment. The company also considers candidates with little to no experience for certain positions.
- CSA associates work as cashiers and earn around minimum wage to start.
- Over time, entry-level workers can earn promotions to lead cashiers, which typically brings an increase in pay.
- Employees process payments and returns using automated POS systems.
- The hardware chain looks for positive attitudes, good customer service skills, and the ability to work flexible schedules.
- Browse the Lowe’s cashier job description.
- Sales associates work in store departments helping customers with questions, comments, and concerns and offering project advice..
- Job hopefuls with backgrounds in power tools, hardware, or other specific areas do well in these positions.
- Sales associates may earn anywhere from $8.00 to $17.00 per hour.
- Take a look at the Lowe’s sales associate job description.
- Management teams recruit, train, and supervise crew members.
- Other duties include setting employee schedules, handling customer issues, and ensuring overall profitability of each store.
- Some staff members may receive commission for sales and cash bonuses.
- Managers can earn starting salaries between $20,000 and $65,000 per year, according to job title, department, and previous work experience.
- Read the Lowe’s manager job description.
How Do I Apply For A Job At Lowe’s?
When applying for a job at Lowes, prospects should consider what positions they like best and the location of the store they wish to work. They can fill out paper forms in the store for part- and full-time positions as well as seasonal jobs. Turning applications in to stores lets job seekers to speak directly to hiring managers and may lead to on-the-spot interviews.
Can You Apply For A Job At Lowe’s Online?
The Lowe’s job portal is a convenient means of submitting and application online. Applying on the company website can save a candidate time by allowing them to apply to multiple positions and locations at once. Users create a login and profile, search for available jobs, and may request updates on future positions.
How Do I Check The Status Of My Application?
By logging back into their profile, applicants can check the current status of an active application. The retailer updates and informs candidates on processed applications. Job seekers can also visit the store where they applied and ask a manager about next steps in the hiring process.
Benefits Of Working For Lowe’s
Both part-time and full-time employees enjoy:
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance options
- Paid vacation
- Sick Pay
- Flexible scheduling
- Access to 401(k) retirement plans
Along with paid training, eligible workers receive tuition reimbursement, scholarships, and access to ongoing education. Every employee receives discounts on merchandise. A company provided flexible spending account helps them save on any out-of-pocket healthcare costs.
Further Information On Lowe’s
The retail chain works with local communities by encouraging team members to volunteer for local causes. Stores promote these charitable acts through the Lowe’s Heroes initiative. This includes partnerships with Habitat for Humanity, building homes for injured veterans, and disaster relief projects.