Predominantly Texas-based restaurant chain Luby's offers employment opportunities throughout the major metropolitan areas of the Lone Star State and surrounding suburbs. The chain also maintains locations in Oklahoma and Arkansas, which expands job possibilities to applicants in nearby states.
Facts About Working at Luby's Cafeteria
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Luby's Cafeteria?)
Available Positions: Wait Staff, Counter Server, Cashier, Cook, Dishwasher, Unit Coordinator, Service Attendant, Butcher, Porter, Assistant Manager, Manager
Luby’s Cafeteria Employment Opportunities
Luby’s locations feature cafeteria-style services in family-oriented settings. Customers select foods from daily menus, which offer pay-by-the-item formats enabling multiple trips in a single visit. Restaurant offerings center on traditional, Southern lunch and dinner items, like macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, strip steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes. Due to the a-la-carte services and high volumes of patronage the regional restaurant chain experiences, each location must hire teams of help in order to prepare and change out food trays, maintain work station and dining area cleanliness, and serve customers as needed.
Workers typically find jobs in Luby’s kitchens. Front-of-house operations also yield meaningful employment opportunities requiring little qualifications and providing flexible scheduling upon hire. Applicants with backgrounds in restaurant operations or driven interests in long-term careers may find work in management, as well. The minimum hiring age begins at 16 for entry-level front-of-house and back-of-house jobs and rises to 18 with added responsibilities. Most managerial positions require applicants to stand at least 18 for employment consideration, with high school educations or GED equivalents and related work experience.
Luby’s Job Outlook and Salary Information
Upon hire, workers enjoy paid training, competitive base pay, and access to career development programs and regular promotions. Added incentives for strong work performance include employee discounts, varied shifts, and comprehensive job benefits packages. Applicants interested in joining the regional cafeteria chain regularly find work in the following positions:
- Falling under the broad category of crew member, the position of cashier caters to individuals with little experience and a need for flexible hours.
- The front-of-house job title offers part-time hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Pay scales sit around minimum wage for the entry-level role and rise to $9.00 or so over time.
- Job duties consist of greeting patrons, completing sales transactions on computerized point-of-sales machines, and cleaning dining areas and work stations as needed.
- Friendly and outgoing personalities best suit applicants for cashier jobs.
- Cashier employees must remain patient and attentive at all times.
- Basic math skills and the ability to use computer operating systems also represent characteristics hiring managers prefer.
- Unlike servers in traditional restaurant settings, Luby’s waitstaff primarily serve drinks and cater to customers as needed.
- Opportunities exist in part-time and full-time capacities offering minimum wage pay for tipped employees.
- Servers must remain diligent, alert, and personable on the job.
- Responsibilities often include food prep, setting tables, or bussing dishes in addition to basic sanitation and customer service.
- Waitstaff associates also work irregular hours spanning evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Cook – A crucial position in terms of daily operations, the job title of cook requires constant movement, exposure to temperature extremes, keen attention to detail, and excellent personal hygiene. Applicants must possess the physical prowess to lift, bend, and stoop throughout each shift. Scheduling for the job also proves variable and requires open availability for employment consideration. Hourly positions, cook jobs typically pay between $9.00 and $10.00. Most cooks work part-time; however, the Texas restaurant chain often promotes motivated workers or hires experienced individuals to prepare food full-time.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should visit Luby’s locations to get a feel for operations and the unique formats offered. Job hopefuls also benefit from previous experience in the restaurant industry and the ability to work open schedules. Willingness to learn new skills and hone current abilities offers employment seekers the best prospects, as associates receive extensive training at time of hire regardless of employee skill levels or job histories. Reliable transportation also factors into overall hiring decisions.
Luby’s utilizes third-party hiring resources in order to onboard new workers. Candidates may submit applications online via the third-party platform or complete paper applications available in-house at participating locations. Once completed and turned in to the appropriate medium, the hiring forms generally spend a day or two going through processing before recruitment personnel contact promising workers. Formal review may take between a few days and a week, depending on position desired. Most applicants receive contact from hiring personnel via telephone. To check on the review process and reassert interests in joining the restaurant team, job seekers may contact managers regarding application statuses prior to receiving phone calls.
Benefits of Working at Luby’s
The cafeteria chain offers employment benefits to both hourly employees and career professionals earning annual salary options. Eligible workers enjoy 401(k) retirement plans, paid time off, and medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and prescription drug plan options. Regardless of job status, Luby’s treats associates to bi-weekly pay featuring direct deposit and discounted meals up to 50% off. Specific qualifications vary by location and position.
Additional Information on Luby’s
As a way to accommodate large groups of diners, Luby’s provides group dining services for parties of 10 or more. Group plans include catering options and the ability to reserve large sections of the available dining areas. Customers choose from five different meal plans, which include one entree, drinks, and sides. The chain takes inquiries online or in store. Patrons must make reservations in advance, especially during busy holiday seasons.