Headquartered in New York City, NY, Make-up Art Cosmetics, or MAC, operates in major department stores and also in stand-alone locations across the world. The company regularly hires for new employees in both entry-level and managerial roles to match expansion and new markets.
Facts About Working at MAC
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at MAC?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Beauty Advisor, Make-Up Artists, Assistant Manager, Retail Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
MAC Employment Opportunities
As a subsidiary of Estee Lauder Companies since 1998, MAC enjoys expanded popularity and traditional growth through word-of-mouth and endorsements from professionals throughout the entertainment industry. With such sustained growth, the company consistently hires new employees, typically in roles working makeup counters in large department stores and stand-alone specialty locations like airport kiosks. Professional makeup artists must possess strong knowledge of makeup application, current product lines, and popular trends in order to work for the cosmetics industry leader. Previous experience in retail or a similar industry may also prove beneficial to interested candidates.
The cosmetics retailer must also employ enthusiastic and creative individuals to provide leadership and direction to subordinate employees. With opportunities as assistant store managers, store managers, and counter managers within stores selling MAC products, aspirants seeking careers in the makeup industry may find footing in such roles. Typically requiring dedicated study of the industry, including trends, styles, and popular products, management jobs also include performing daily administrative tasks and retaining overall responsibility for brand success at each location. Further education may also prove beneficial to applicants seeking managerial positions with the cosmetics company.
MAC Positions and Salary Information
With diverse opportunities for employment, MAC invites applicants to explore job prospects with the cosmetics industry leader. Potentials must stand at least 18 years of age to inquire about current openings and should possess high school diplomas or the equivalent. Job seekers with additional certifications, such as completion of cosmetics vocational courses may stand out to hiring managers at times of hire, as well. The most commonly available positions sit listed below:
- Most makeup artists work counters in either company stores or in department stores featuring counters selling product.
- Dependent on positive attitudes, broad knowledge of current product lines, and excellent customer service techniques, employees typically work part-time schedules selling makeup, assist in product applications, and help patrons make final decisions.
- Makeup artists possess the possibility of advancing to senior artist or part of the pro team, which provides associates travel opportunities to some of the largest markets in the world, the ability to work special events, and platforms for demonstrating superior knowledge and expertise on a regular basis.
- Makeup artists typically earn hourly wages between $16.00 and $19.00.
- With various supervisory roles available, MAC provides careers in management consisting of lead teams of makeup artists and other necessary staff in order to guarantee profitability and general store success.
- Retail managers oversee administrative duties of assigned stores.
- Principle responsibilities include overall sales performance, assuring positive customer service, leading employee development, maintaining store operations, and sharing company vision with both employees and customers to promote sales and accountability.
- Managers must work full-time schedules, including varied shifts, weekends, and even holidays, when necessary.
- Annual salary options for managers range between $45,000 to $66,000, usually reflecting tenure, knowledge, and location.
Tips For Applying
The cosmetics leader offers applicants varied options in order to apply for available positions. MAC encourages aspirants to submit resumes directly to human resource managers via traditional mail at the company headquarters or by inquiring about hiring opportunities at physical locations. Online applications remain available through third-party job sites, which typically allow for candidates to submit resumes for individual job possibilities. When submitting resumes through any means, applicants should tailor hiring information directly to any positions desired and highlight any and all related skills.
Human resource recruiters typically respond to job inquiries within one to two weeks of receiving hiring materials. Phone interviews may precede in-person meetings in order for hiring officials to further narrow down potential candidates. For any applicant pursuing application status, checking with the location of hire directly may prove the most beneficial, as managers may see follow ups as genuine interest in the position and may place applicants above others not checking back. When visiting locations of hire, always respect the time of the location by visiting during off-peak hours and by dressing appropriately. Wearing company product to demonstrate knowledge and preparedness for possible on-the-spot interviews communicates personal interests in job prospects.
Benefits of Working at MAC
Most job benefits fall to full-time employees with the cosmetics company. Employees receive access to health benefits, such as:
- Dental, and vision insurance upon hire.
In addition, eligible employees may earn opportunities for work benefits such as:
- 401(k) retirement plans.
All employees enjoy varied product discounts, paid training, opportunities for advancement, and excellent pay, including opportunity for gratis, depending on store policy.
Extra Information about MAC
The cosmetics industry leader offers a wide variety of online tools in order to stay up-to-date on company product releases and even offers online consultation with MAC artists and professionals. For example, customers unsure of online purchases may either email artists with questions or concerns or may choose to live chat with available online makeup artists. The cosmetics retailer also offers a MAC Pro membership, which offers makeup professionals sponsored training, product discounts, and invitations to members-only events. Consumers may also sign up for emails and texts detailing future products, services, and special offers before traditional shoppers.
Deborah Davis says:
I worked for MAC Cosmetics about 8 years ago. My duties as a make up artist were to perform make up artistry, as well as stocking the shelves, keeping the space well cleaned and filling the bottles with alcohol, and making sure we had facial tissues and cotton balls for the customers. I always had to be on time, and making sure I sold what was expected of me daily as well as cleaning at the end of the day so everything would be ready for the next. Also it involved always keeping up with new trends.