Known for boasting one of the largest retail spaces in the world, Macy's maintains a dominant hold as a leading department store chain nationwide. The retailer operates around 800 locations in 45 U.S. states and provides thousands of opportunities for work in entry-level capacities on up through corporate-level work in the company home offices in Cincinnati, OH.
Facts About Working at Macy's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Macy's?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Attendant, Assistant Manager, Manager
Macy’s Employee Interview Videos
video of former Macy’s employees
Macy’s Job Opportunities
Each Macy’s location sells wide assortments of home goods and merchandise ranging from clothing for men, women, and children to bedding, shoes, beauty care products, furniture, fashion accessories, and electronics. The various departments within each store hire on new help to provide customers with excellent services. Specialized knowledge of products sold department by department may prove advantageous for hire; however, the leading retail chain often provides opportunities for work with little-to-no formal requirements imposed.
According to market research, each location boasts an average of 182,000 square feet. The large layouts of Macy’s stores allow for consistent hiring to take place in each department. Applicants typically encounter teams of 10 or more associates per department in a given store. Although specific numbers often vary by location, job seekers usually come across little resistance in finding viable work with the prominent department store chain.
Macy’s Employment and Pay Scales Information
Macy’s jobs include both part-time and full-time opportunities featuring paid training, flexible scheduling options, and potential for career growth and development. The retail chain usually hires on first-time workers and entry-level job seekers into sales and customer service jobs, which require applicants to stand at least 18 years old to assume. Workers must also sit at least 18 to move into managerial roles within the company. Below sits a list of the most popular job titles available for hire with the department store chain:
- The position of cashier holds basic responsibilities of tendering payments for goods and services, operating cash registers, and providing customer service.
- Individuals need no real experience or skills to assume cashier jobs other than basic arithmetic abilities and personal interests in working with the general public and in team-oriented job settings.
- Fast, efficient, and friendly workers make the best cashier associates, in most cases.
- Pay scales begin at minimum wage for the entry-level position and move into higher hourly pay rates with experience.
- Read the Macy’s cashier job description for more information on requirements and typical responsibilities.
- Also known as store associate, sales associates work directly with customers and assist in sales.
- Primary duties may include recommending products, providing access to fitting rooms, price-checking items, and directing customers to different sections of each store location.
- Sales associates sometimes assist with cashier duties as needs dictate.
- The position involves some manual labor, as sales associates regularly straighten and stock shelves.
- Workers start out at minimum wage, in most cases, and earn as much as $15.00 or $16.00 per hour with experience and proven work performance.
- Some sales associate positions feature opportunities for commission based on sales, as well.
- Consult the Macy’s sales associate job description to find out more about sales work with the department store chain.
Loss Prevention Officer
- Loss prevention officers protect Macy’s locations against theft.
- Ideal candidates exude confidence and trustworthy demeanors.
- Loss prevention officers must also demonstrate attention to protocol and company standards.
- Backgrounds in security, crowd control, or law enforcement may aid job hopefuls in employment searches.
- Loss prevention officers typically start at $10.00 an hour.
- Career opportunities available at Macy’s stores include various titles in management.
- The retail chain both hires from within and outsources for managers.
- Applicants with experience in the retail industry who possess strong leadership qualities and the abilities to motivate, train, and delegate often receive hiring consideration for managerial vacancies.
- Tasks assumed by management include hiring and training entry-level associates, creating and implementing work schedules, processing payroll, providing customer service, tracking sales data and inventories, ordering products, coordinating shipments, and maintaining correspondence with the company corporate offices.
- Supervisors tend to earn $13.00 to $14.00 per hour initially, while experienced supervisors may make upwards of $16.00 or $17.00.
- Assistant managers and store managers earn annual salary options, which may exceed $120,000 a year, depending on skills, tenure, and experience.
- Take a look at the Macy’s Manager job description for more details on vacancies.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should go into the hiring process with a specific area or concentration in mind. General positions like cashier or store associate represent ideal opportunities for individuals without experience in the workforce, while positions in specific departments may serve as better avenues for job seekers looking for employment in specific, niche areas. Complete any and all hiring forms thoroughly and to the best of given abilities. The online application allows workers to apply for more than one position at once and scan through detailed information for each available job. Take full advantage of the resources Macy’s provides to increase odds of gaining employment.
For entry-level positions in customer service and sales, Macy’s often extends job offers at the end of the final interview in the formal review process. For careers in management, workers may not receive hiring determinations for at least a few days, and may wait as long as several weeks to receive employment confirmation. On average, most workers wait about a week or so to hear back from the department store chain regarding a specific job opportunity. Individuals may contact management in the meantime to express further interest in the position and to check on application status. If contacted in the weeks following a final interview, a typical candidate usually receives the notice via telephone.
Benefits of Working at Macy’s
As a company committed to customer service, Macy’s also commits to the overall experiences workers enjoy as employees. While specific job benefits vary by position, associates gain access to wide ranges of rewards, including:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Vision, and life insurance options
- Employee assistance programs
- Tuition assistance
- Adoption assistance, and leaves of absence.
The retailer also presents service awards to recognize outstanding employees for charity work.
Additional Information on Macy’s
As a leader in the industry, Macy’s not only improves sales and customer services but also makes improvements in operations. One of the areas the retail chain most closely tries to improve includes environmental sustainability. The installations of solar panels to harness and harvest natural energies and LED lighting systems in both retail locations and distribution centers represent some of the major changes taking place to improve carbon footprints. Many stores also outsource packaging made from recycled materials. The charitable offshoot organization of the company, Turn Over A New Leaf, works directly with surrounding communities to educate on green practices and other methods to reduce harm caused by society to global environments.
Macy’s Application Video – How to Apply for a Job at Macy’s: