Primarily serving the Midwest and Southeast, Marathon provides candidates eager to join the workforce an array of positions in entry-level roles and more career-minded endeavors. With over 5,000 locations and expanding, positions consistently arise to fill new vacancies.
Facts About Working at Marathon
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Marathon?)
Available Positions: Gas Station Attendant, Maintenance Technician, Assistant Manager, Gas Station Manager, Accounting Processor, Administrative Assistant, Geophysicist, Human Resources Consultant, Land Professional , Refining Inspector, Reservoir Engineer, Payroll Analyst, Auditor, Benefits Analyst, Clinician, Field Operator, Facilities Engineer, Field Operator, Geologist, Inland Fleeting Inspector, Lease Associate, Measurement Reader, Paralegal, Process Control Engineer, Production Technician, Tax Analyst
Marathon Job Opportunities
Primarily known for gas station and convenience store combinations, Marathon regularly seeks motivated, friendly, and hardworking individuals to staff stores in customer service roles. Interacting routinely with the public, associates must remain the positive face of the store. Working to provide first-rate customer service, employees must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to perform simple math, and continually multitask. Customer service associates usually only need meet basic hiring requirements in order to qualify for such positions.
As entry-level employees fit securely into customer service associate roles, candidates with more retail and supervisory capabilities fill positions as managers. Marathon typically seeks individuals with more than two years of retail knowledge and experience when hiring managers at the store level. A manager generally fulfills a variety of roles such as supervising subordinate employees, interacting with customers on a daily basis, and performing administrative tasks set forth by the corporate office. Employees in a supervisory role may need to take additional certifications and trainings in order to stay abreast of the most current accreditations and endorsements necessary in the retail field.
Marathon Positions and Salary Information
In order to work for the gas station and convenience store chain, applicants must demonstrate scheduling flexibility, willingness to follow direction, and the ability to work well in a team or independently, depending on the situation. Employees must stand at least 18 years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED to qualify for the following positions:
Customer Service Associate
- Generally earning between minimum hourly wage and up to $9.00 an hour, a customer service associate frequently works varied shifts, assists customers in making purchases, and takes various forms of payment to complete transactions.
- Necessitating a genuine interest in working with people, associates should continually demonstrate amiable personalities, the ability to work well in a team environment, and strong work ethics.
- Frequent responsibilities include ensuring merchandise and stock remains at sellable levels, retail displays and promotions feature prominently, and store cleanliness remains appropriate at all times.
- Customer service associates may face promotion from within to store leader positions, which act as supervisors in the stead of a missing manager, and may earn up to $10.00 an hour.
- The co-manager trainee persists as a developmental role within the company leadership ladder, eventually leading to store management opportunities for employees in such roles.
- Co-manager trainees work alongside successful store managers in order to grow, learn, and experience everyday life as a store manager.
- Sharing in responsibilities of a regular store manager, trainees assist in hiring, developing, and motivating store employees, complete cash-handling, safety, maintenance, and merchandising duties, and may stand in for the store manager in case of absence.
- A co-manager trainee may earn yearly salary options of up to $35,000, and the position remains an excellent promote-from-within opportunity for employees seeking long-term career opportunities in the retail world.
Tips For Applying
When applying for positions with Marathon, applicants may choose to fill out hiring forms online through the company job portal or apply in-person at a location of choice. Most applicants cite applying in person as a way to meet with hiring managers directly, which may lead to better job prospects. Applying at a store location also allows for candidates to witness daily store operations and form a one-to-one rapport with store personnel. Dress appropriately and bring all hiring materials when filling out applications, as on-the-spot interviews may occur. In order to expedite all applications, ensure all hiring material remains complete, up-to-date, and free of errors.
Candidates typically receive offers for interviews within at least two weeks of initial application. Due to the sheer volumes of applications received daily, Marathon may not contact all applicants, especially ones not accepted to the next stage of the hiring process. Individuals interested in a definitive answer may contact stores directly, via phone, email, or visiting in person. When visiting a store in person to check on application status, candidates should remember managers must perform a variety of essential tasks. Therefore, a supervisor may not possess availability to speak with applicants in person with the same type of immediacy candidates may wish. Contacting stores by phone may prove more beneficial to both parties and still shows the perfect level of interest in obtaining a position.
Benefits of Working at Marathon
The gas station and convenience store company offers workers a wide range of employee benefits. Along with industry-commensurate pay scales and flexible scheduling, workers may qualify for health benefits, including both dental and life insurance options. Additionally, eligible employees receive access to:
- Bonus programs
- Paid time off
- Sick leave
- Paid vacation time
- Bonus programs, and
- Enrollment in company-matching 401(k) retirement plans
All employees typically receive incentive programs, such as tuition reimbursement, as well as a generous associate discount at participating locations.
Additional Information about Marathon
Marathon prefers to think of the company as a neighbor to everyone, and with locations spanning as far north as Minnesota and as far south as the Florida coast, community outreach takes on many faces. For instance, with over seven million drivers with disabilities, the company launched FuelCall in 2009. Customers with disabilities simply push a button on the refueling station which rings a bell inside and signals attendants to come outside and assist. The gas station and convenience store chain operates in some rural areas of the country as well. For certain areas near Amish communities, that meant installing hitching posts for horse-drawn carriages to help keep all types of conveyance safe for all.