A popular restaurant and bakery chain, Marie Callender's maintains close to 75 locations across North America. Applicants of varying experience may take advantage of the widespread presence of the brand, as prospects center on part-time, entry-level work and include full-time positions, as well.
Facts About Working at Marie Callender's
Minimum Age to Work at Marie Callender's: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Marie Callender's?)
Marie Callender's Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs: 6:00am-10:00pm; Fri-Sat: 6:00am-11:00pm; Sun: 9:00am-10:00pm
Available Positions at Marie Callender's: Host, Hostess, Bus Person, Dishwasher, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Baker, Shift Manager, Assistant Restaurant Manager, General Restaurant Manager, Delivery Truck Driver
Marie Callender’s Job Opportunities
Began in Southern California in the early 1940s, Marie Callender’s spread throughout much of the continental United States over the next four decades to include operations in both the U.S. and Mexico by 2015. The dual-concept chain caters to both traditional diners and patrons with particular love for sweets. Laidback, cafe atmospheres greet customers upon arrival and create memorable, family-friendly dining experiences featuring delicious, homemade menu options. In addition to maintaining international popularity, the location of each restaurant fosters continued patronage, as most reside in busy commercial districts or in shopping centers with heavy foot traffic. Locations also regularly experience employee turnover common to the restaurant industry, which further necessitates hiring on a regular basis.
Marie Callender’s divides employment opportunities into two categories: hourly and management/restaurant support. Workers looking for entry-level roles often enjoy hourly job opportunities, while career professionals in search of full-time jobs regularly apply for work in management or restaurant support. Both job types include paid training, industry-appropriate base pay, and opportunities for advancement, salary increases, and flexible scheduling. As a cafe chain, the restaurant needs workers to fill irregular schedules, including early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Full-time opportunities may still require job seekers to assume varying schedules, with managers present for most shifts.
Marie Callender’s Employment Prospects and Pay Scales
In order to qualify for employment, applicants must stand at least 16 years of age. Prior experience hardly ever proves necessary for entry-level roles but remains pivotal for work in management and restaurant support. Prospective associates must also feel comfortable maintaining clean and orderly appearances and interacting with the general public daily. The most readily available Marie Callender’s jobs include:
- A position with multiple responsibilities, server represents the most abundant entry-level job title available and involves taking and serving food and drink orders, operating cash registers and completing transactions, and greeting customers.
- Servers primarily work part-time and earn around $2.00 or $3.00 an hour, which represents the federal minimum wage for tipped employees.
- Quick learners with friendly demeanors and committed attitudes generally receive hiring consideration over other applicants for server jobs.
- Attention to detail also factors into employment decisions, as job duties encompass sanitation and inventory responsibilities.
- Hosting jobs remain heavily involved in customer service.
- The primary focus of the position includes offering warm welcomes to customers and seating guests.
- Hosts also highlight daily offerings and explain specials.
- Applicants must possess the ability to stand for long periods of time and enjoy face-to-face interaction with strangers.
- Extroverts and genuinely cheerful individuals able to stay on task frequently gain employment as hosts.
- Open availability also benefits hosting prospects, as the position often features varying schedules.
- Most hosts receive between minimum wage and $9.00 per hour.
- Assistant manager positions represent supervisory roles with recruitment, training, motivational, and organizational job duties.
- Workers in the role must typically stand at least 18 years of age and possess some experience in the restaurant industry.
- While Marie Callender’s hires outside applicants, a majority of assistant managers once filled entry-level server or cook jobs.
- Assistant managers take part in every aspect of operations, including assisting customers, preparing food, taking inventory, scheduling, assigning daily tasks, and reporting to store managers.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction ranks among the most important responsibilities assistant managers carry out day-to-day.
- Average hourly pay falls around $12.00 or $13.00, with tenured associates receiving as much as $35,000 in annual salary options.
Tips For Applying
While job seekers may apply online for managerial and restaurant support careers, hourly workers must physically submit hiring forms to recruitment personnel at desired locations during the designated timeframe of 3:00pm to 5:00pm on Thursdays. Former employees often cite the need to adapt to restaurant operations and embody the family-friendly concepts of the company. Exercising good hygiene and grooming habits before submitting applications may strengthen candidacy favorably and lead to employment, depending on skills and abilities. Providing resumes and cover letters for managerial roles may improve candidate odds, as well.
Due to the in-person submission requirements imposed by most Marie Callender’s restaurant-bakeries, applicants frequently receive immediate hiring consideration upon submitting employment materials. The chain usually interviews candidates on-the-spot, which negates any need to follow up on entry-level employment. However, managerial career seekers should still follow up with hiring personnel after submitting employment documents, as the international restaurant chain reviews applicants for leadership roles with more scrutiny than entry-level applicants. Telephone, email, and in-person follow-ups often cement interest in available jobs and open dialogue between current and potential managers.
Benefits of Working at Marie Callender’s
Competitive pay, flexible hours, and opportunities for promotion stand readily available to employees upon hire. Bakery and restaurant employees also receive special discounts on meals. Full-time employment, which primarily includes managerial and restaurant support roles, also provides:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Vision and life insurance plans, and
- Paid time off.
Most locations offer complimentary uniforms and nametags for entry-level and managerial associates, as well.
Additional Information on Marie Callender’s
Marie Callender’s operations hinge on the sale of products and goods at local grocery stores. Customers may find delicious treats like premade pies, organic mac n’ cheese, chicken pot pies, and lasagna in the frozen-food aisles of major supermarkets throughout the United States. Fans of the food may also connect with the company via the Marie Callender’s Meals page online. The website offers breakdowns of available products and forums where patrons may sound off about branded goods sold in stores.