Starting from a quaint shop in Dallas, TX, Mary Kay began as a self-named venture selling a modest five items. As of April 2015, the cosmetics retailer employs over 3 million independent beauty consultants and offers more than 200 premium products available in roughly 35 countries.
Facts About Working at Mary Kay
Minimum Age to Work at Mary Kay: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Mary Kay?)
Mary Kay Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-6:00pm; Sat: 9:00am-1:00pm; Sun: Closed
Available Positions at Mary Kay: Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative, Counsel, Protective Services Officer, Development Specialist, Business Analyst, Process Technician, Market Research Manager, Information Systems Auditor, Material Handler, Bookkeeper, Web Designer, Administrator, Production Line Technician, Code Compliance Specialist, Engineer
Mary Kay Job Opportunities
Founded in 1963, Mary Kay empowers women and transforms lives by appealing to the true beauty found inside and out of customers. The international company sells merchandise for men and women ranging from body care, nail care, and facial care products to sun protection, color cosmetics, and fragrances. Independent beauty consultants and individuals seeking careers in the company corporate offices may find rewarding work with the retailer. Job seekers must share the cosmetic company mission enriching the lives of women around the world. Applicants looking for opportunities both challenging and meaningful may find comfort in careers shaped by creativity and initiative.
Regarded as the most important asset of the company, employees take great pride in the legacy and the fundamental importance of giving back. The golden rule emphasizes not just a business principle but a way of life applied on both a personal and professional level. Employees find success and happiness spreading benevolence through social gatherings and Mary Kay product lines. Applicants who possess similar ideals may find careers in the cosmetics field. Most employees remain responsible for creating personal work schedules, as independent beauty consultants operate separately from the corporation and sell products on commission without direct oversight. Driven and detail-oriented individuals best represent ideal fits with the company.
Mary Kay Positions and Pay Scales
Hard work and fortitude remain high priorities for workers in search of employment with Mary Kay. Company stores around the world include atmospheres of teamwork and respect and relationships built on trust, honesty, and kindness. Job seekers looking to make a difference may enjoy the rewards of competitive pay and employee benefits. Employment hopefuls may apply for the following independently operated positions nationwide:
Independent Beauty Consultant
- Typically, consultants work part-time; however, the freedom to set personal schedules allows full-time opportunities if desired.
- Independent beauty consultants build customer bases, maintain product knowledge, and spread company missions and values to clients.
- Mary Kay seeks entry-level applicants 18 and older with traditional family values.
- Room for growth proves exponential, as success mirrors the time and effort applied.
- Consultants typically demonstrate and sample products during one-on-one sessions, or at gatherings such as parties.
- While earnings primarily hinge on individual performance, independent beauty consultants may make between $13,000 and $26,000 a year, on average.
- Promotion from within encourages consultants to work hard and proves rewarding as leadership qualities emerge.
- As a sales director, each consultant streamlines flows of questions and concerns based heavily on methods of improving sales and financial management in relation to ordering stock.
- Sales directors potentially earn from $33,000 to $60,000 a year, with wages linked to the devotion displayed in working with the busy schedules of consultants.
Tips For Applying
In order to obtain employment, job hopefuls may speak with any Mary Kay associate. Typically, independent beauty consultants recruit friends and customers during demonstrations of product lines and follow up with questions matching moral values and desire to attain goals to the code of the cosmetics company. However, neither job interviews nor formal hiring processes exist.
Proponents of Mary Kay high-quality product lines and outstanding moral codes with the desire to expand the dream of the well-established beauty line need only to purchase a starter kit and subsequent inventory matching the tastes of customers preferred products and interests. While no real application process proves necessary for hire, workers may still contact recruiters regarding job information. Recruitment typically takes place in social settings, such as parties or small gatherings.
Benefits of Working for Mary Kay
On top of earning up to 50% of the value of products sold, parts of the competitive benefits packages reward employees with cars, travel packages, jewelry, and recognitions of achievement. Mary Kay also develops employees through a variety of training, leadership, and mentoring programs. Workers at the company headquarters in full-time roles may enjoy additional employment benefits, such as:
- Healthcare coverage
- Paid time off, and 401(k) retirement plans.
Extra Information on Mary Kay
Dedicated to curing cancers common in women, Mary Kay donated 12 grants in 2014, each totaling $100,000 to medical doctors and scientists to spur research efforts. In addition, the cosmetics company assists individuals suffering from domestic abuse and regularly donates to domestic violence shelters, with individual contributions amounting upwards of $20,000. The foundation awarded more than $17.3 million to cancer researchers at accredited medical schools and schools of public health as of 2015, along with $37 million donated to shelters and programs dedicated to the prevention of domestic violence.