A family-owned and operated chain started in 1960, Menards specializes in home improvement products for the indoors and outdoors. Able to offer a unique focus on employee development, the chain provides job candidates opportunities from short-term entry-level work to lasting careers.
Facts About Working at Menard's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Menards?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Store Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Menards Employee Interview Videos
Menards Job Opportunities
Boasting a growing number of stores, Menards offers job opportunities for individuals in the Midwestern United States. Available work includes entry-level store positions, distribution jobs, and employment in manufacturing plants to careers in the corporate office. As a relatively small company, the home improvement favors promoting from within. Transitioning positions, such as manager trainee and human resource coordinator, teach ambitious associates the skills needed to cultivate fulfilling careers. Additionally, frequent career fairs and an internship program afford university students the opportunity to put business and merchandising degrees to work with a reliable company.
Individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and educations obtain work with Menards. Prior work in management, retail, and hospitality prove ideal for job candidates seeking in-store positions. Knowledge of or work in the lumber or construction industries may afford individuals preference for available positions, as well. Job hopefuls without formal experience or education also retain fair chances of receiving employment. The willingness and ability to learn quickly paired with passion and amiability represent especially favorable attributes in associates and demonstration of such qualities may earn applicants preference with hiring managers.
Menards Positions and Salary Information
Individuals 18 years of age and older may apply for available jobs with Menards, which makes work with the company excellent for high school students. Managers work around school schedules and employment experience does not prove necessary for hire. Accessible entry-level positions regularly include:
- Stationed at store entrances, cashiers must leave lasting and positive impressions on customers.
- Individuals available for weekend, evening, and early morning hours make ideal candidates for cashier work.
- Candidates need not possess previous employment experience; however, individuals familiar with the retail industry may earn preference during the hiring process.
- Cashier responsibilities include efficiently ringing up customer items, bagging merchandise neatly, and promoting rewards programs.
- Available as full-time and part-time positions, cashier jobs yield average hourly wages of $10.00.
- Individuals holding cashier positions and pursing long-term career options may aspire to become head cashiers, which pays about $12.00 to $14.00 an hour.
- Upbeat and personable individuals with self-motivation and superior organizational skills fare well as sales associates.
- Occupying sales floors, workers filling associate positions oversee the overall cleanliness and presentation of stores and merchandise.
- Additionally, sales associates must interact with customers, answer questions, and offer product suggestions based on customer needs.
- Working knowledge of merchandise, or a capacity to learn about store products, may earn job candidates favor for hire.
- Other shift duties include replenishing stock as needed, relieving cashiers as necessary, and completing tasks as assigned by managers.
- Sales associates earn upwards of minimum wage.
- Interested candidates applying directly for managerial positions should possess substantial knowledge on home improvement products and tactics.
- High school diplomas or equivalents and the completion of some college may afford job candidates preference.
- Previous employment in leadership positions generally remains a requirement for consideration.
- Full-time positions with heightened responsibility, department manager jobs pay salary packages ranging from $28,000 to $35,000 a year.
- Obligations include taking inventory, supervising associates, providing customers with detailed tips for using products in assigned department, handling pay roll, creating staff work schedules, and responding to customer concerns and complaints directly and quickly.
Tips For Applying
Menards prefers to receive applications online. However, interested individuals retain the option of visiting stores to fill out paper applications. To do so, job candidates should revise resumes to highlight relevant work experience and boast pertinent skills. Bring copies to the store for attachment to the paper application. Submitting applications online requires candidates to provide email addresses before starting. Applications take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to complete, and individuals may expedite the process by gathering information on past employers, contact information for references, education history, and personal information prior to beginning the process. Always look over work for mistakes to ensure the best possibility of receiving callbacks.
Hiring managers generally need several weeks to review applications before contacting qualified job candidates for interviews or offers. Individuals interested in checking on application statuses may do so any time after submission. Phone, email, and store visits remain the most efficient forms of communication with store personnel. Job hopefuls should always conduct inquiries politely, professionally, and with regard for the time of the hiring managers.
Benefits of Working at Menards
As a small and family-owned business, Menards offers full-time and part-time employees untraditional work benefits. Associates enjoy:
- Profit sharing programs
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement plans, and
- 10% employment discounts.
Moreover, employees stand eligible for various bonuses. The company offers a weekend bonus of an additional $2.50 an hour to associates. Managers receive regular bonuses, and qualifying associates also receive holidays bonuses.
More Information on Menards
Individuals owning propane-powered vehicles, RVs, or propane cylinders maintain the option of visiting Menards locations to restock fuel supplies. Not all locations offer the option, so interested motorists should consult the company website for lists of participating stores. Individuals may request associate assistance or pay at the pump independently. Propane persists as a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to diesel or gasoline.