Merlin Entertainments, a worldwide entertainment company, runs approximately 110 attractions in roughly 23 countries. Employees dutifully ensure unique and memorable experiences for millions of guests every year.
Facts About Working at Merlin Entertainments
Minimum Age to Work at Merlin Entertainments: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Merlin Entertainments?)
Merlin Entertainments Hours of Operation: Hours vary by location
Available Positions at Merlin Entertainments: Sales Associate, Administrative Assistant, Admissions Associate, Guest Services Associate, Catering Coordinator, Catering Manager, Customer Service Representative, Account Executive, Staff Accountant, Food and Beverage Associate, Front of House Manager, Groundskeeper, Receptionist, Maintenance Technician, Merchandising Manager, Park Ranger, Model Animation Resetter, Stockroom Associate, Trade Sales Coordinator, Entertainment Technician, Photo Team Leader, Porter, Usher, Operations Associate, Finance Manager, Wardrobe Supervisor, Business Support Manager, Cash Control Associate, Lifeguard, Reservations Associate, Water Quality Technician, Performer, Character, Costumer, Guest Experience Host
Merlin Entertainments Job Opportunities
In December 1998, Nick Varney, Andrew Carr, and the management team of Vardon Attractions completed a buyout which formed Merlin Entertainments. Along with over a hundred attractions, the company also supports close to 16 hotels and three holiday villages. Popular theme parks include Madame Tussauds, featuring wax models of celebrities, Sea Life, Legoland, The Dungeons, and The Eye brand. While the business operates from headquarters in Poole, Dorset, and primarily stands as a British company, the popular attraction firm maintains a strong North American presence and boasts many theme parks owned by the establishment. Of the nearly 22,000 employees, a large percentage of workers reside in the United States. An array of employment opportunities accommodate individuals interested in entry-level positions or higher level careers in business.
Based on the philosophy of helping others enjoy memorable outings, staff members experience workplace cultures defined as The Merlin Way. Team members love the work performed and demonstrate ownership, innovation, and genuine care. In return, Merlin Entertainments rewards employee engagement through development programs, competitive compensation, and job benefits. The company nurtures future global leaders by offering education and additional training throughout employment. Merlin’s School of Magic, provided by Ashridge Business School, consists of online learning materials used to enhance personal and professional development for workers across the globe.
Employment and Salary Information for Merlin Entertainments
Individuals over 18 years of age and meeting the educational requirement of high school diplomas or equivalents successfully qualify for entry-level and career positions. Candidates should also put customer service as a number one priority by utilizing verbal and written communication skills. The ability to work flexible schedules also proves necessary, with weekends, evenings, and holidays needed. Job hopefuls frequently submit applications for the following positions:
Retail and Food Host
- Pay rises upwards of $8.50 an hour for charismatic hosts able to enrich the memories of families.
- World-class guest care while ensuring operations and sale goals dictate the responsibilities of food and beverage employees.
- Displaying, tagging, and promoting merchandise as well as working closely with retail teams, supervisors, and managers also compiles responsibilities.
- During initiation, team members train on all aspects of retail, food, and beverage operations to include cash handling, sales approaches, inventory management, and service.
- Staff facilitate the delivery of service while always displaying friendly and upbeat demeanors.
- Customer service coupled with excellent communication skills create ideal candidates for attractions associate jobs.
- Presenting safety spiels in front of large groups of guests requires employees to retain confidence and commanding tones.
- Basic mathematics also assist the duties of recording waiting times for rides.
- Hourly wages of $8.00 to $9.00 stand available to individuals meeting prerequisites.
- Attractions associates oversee ride operations, play areas, and perform general cleaning of surrounding grounds and public areas.
- Occasionally, sweeping, washing down grounds, emptying trashcans and cleaning restrooms accompany job descriptions.
- Patrons interested in group bookings, specifically field trips, standard groups, and birthday parties, speak with coordinators to arrange reservations.
- While assisting marketing managers, booking coordinator employees check voice messages, mailings, and respond to complaints and inquiries through telephone and email.
- Questions about attractions may range from promotions and programs to locations and pricing.
- Booking coordinators must gather the correct information in order to process reservation requests.
- Workers also actively upsell products to customers by promoting retail items, workshops, and food.
- The potential to earn pay rates of $10.00 to $12.00 an hour stands available to top-notch candidates, with the ability to tap into lucrative salary options available over time.
- Previous experience in office settings or in customer service aids prospective workers during the application process.
Tips For Applying
Information about current positions proves accessible on the online job network. Candidates must select the locations and roles of interest to learn about job descriptions and necessary qualifications. Aspirants apply for opportunities by submitting application forms online and uploading resumes. The more information provided the higher likelihood recruiters contact employment hunters. Candidates may also attend college job fairs, hiring events, or conduct in-person visits to desirable Merlin theme parks. Seasonal employees generally apply a few months in advance before busy seasons begins.
Qualified candidates receive notification through phone calls to attend group hiring events or in-person interviews, depending on the position. Group setting interviews require applicants to shine above the crowd with amazing communications skills to impress hiring leaders. Average hiring processes take between one to four weeks and possibly longer if applying during an off season. Job seekers may even arrive in person to request updates on statuses of applications. Aspirants demonstrating determination and persistence often prove desires to work with the company.
Benefits of Working for Merlin Entertainments
Full-time and part-time staff members always receive the opportunities to further develop and grow, which may include:
- Continued training, advanced education, and promotions from within.
- Basic necessities for independents as well as family members include healthcare coverage in the form of vision, dental, and medical insurance.
- Life insurance and 401(k) retirement plans also stand obtainable for select individuals.
- For workers looking for personal time, Merlin Entertainments guarantees paid time off with vacation and sick days.
- More unique rewards, such as employee assistance programs, discounts at various retailers, and free tickets to theme parks, further entice the workforce.
Additional Facts about Merlin Entertainments
Creative geniuses and imaginative masterminds demonstrate inspiration in Merlin Magic Making. Online users join the taskforce behind creating the magic by sketching or writing ideas into an interactive paint-inspired program, Bonkers Box. Visitors select brush size, color, and whether to include text. People may submit as many designs as capable of imagining, including everything from roller coaster concepts to new theme parks. The division of the website also shows how employees think of ideas and how the thoughts become reality. A small dedicated team from around the world searches for new business opportunities. The creative members construct compelling propositions to enhance the experience for guests. More than 29 major projects stem from nearly nine different countries.