The creative atmospheres of Michaels stores provide perfect opportunities for entry-level job seekers and artists alike to find meaningful work in the retail industry. The popular department store regularly hires on individuals with creative personalities who enjoy working with arts and crafts. The retail chain also serves as an excellent opportunity for workers to secure supplementary jobs.
Facts About Working at Michaels
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Michaels?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Store Associate, Department Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Michaels Employee Interview Videos
Michaels Employment Opportunities
Applicants heading into the hiring process for available employment opportunities at Michaels usually benefit from holding some form of experience working with craft materials or backgrounds in design or visual arts. Careers in management may require job hopefuls to meet more stringent hiring standards, such as certain levels of related experience, education, and/or time spent with the company. The retailer provides sound environments for workers to grow into full-time positions with the right attitudes and motivations. Jobs also feature flexible hours, competitive pay scales, and special employee benefits.
The retail chain designs locations to feature different departments throughout each store. Workers may find jobs as cashiers or store associates working one of the many, specialized departments. Applicants need to stand at least 18 in order to gain hiring consideration. Additional qualities, such as open availability, personal interest in retail, sales, arts and crafts, or customer service also benefit prospective team members.
Michaels Jobs and Salary Information
A typical Michaels employee starts out in entry-level capacities, which historically feature part-time hours and minimum wage base pay. Individuals may then move into career opportunities in supervisory and managerial roles. The most widely available vacancies accessible with the department store chain include:
- Basic tenants of cashier/associate jobs include monitoring stores to protect against theft, operating cash registers and processing payments, and pushing marketing initiatives via brochures, pamphlets, and online offers.
- Hourly wages begin at minimum wage but may increase with time or experience.
- A position involving dual duties, cashier jobs require individuals with upbeat, friendly, and highly personable attitudes to provide customer service and sales support.
- Workers help customers locate items, handle inquiries regarding Michaels goods and services, make product recommendations, and assemble seasonal merchandise displays.
- Similar to a cashier, minimum wage is the starting pay rate.
- Applicants should have strong communication skills, flexible schedule availability, and professional demeanors.
- Available with assistant manager and store manager job titles, management positions involve driving sales and controlling expenses to meet budgetary requirements, assigning work schedules and daily tasks to subordinate employees, and ensuring storewide customer satisfaction.
- Salary packages for lower managerial roles start near $35k, while seasoned store managers can make up to $65k.
- Proven decision making and planning skills, knowledge of arts and crafts, and a highly developed sense of creativity often help managerial candidates gain additional hiring consideration.
Tips For Applying
Applicants may apply online or submit paper applications to desired stores in order to declare candidacy for employment. Job hopefuls should research the position desired prior to submitting hiring materials to ensure strong bids for the desired positions. Meeting with staff before sending in employment forms may also benefit prospective workers, as the act reflects personal interest and determination toward gaining formal review. Display overtly creative abilities and speak to longstanding enjoyment of the arts when engaged with management in hiring discussions to solidify candidacy further.
After turning in the required materials for employment consideration, applicants generally receive either phone or email confirmation to begin the interview process. Most candidates receive word of review within a week or two. Job hopefuls who visit hiring personnel in store to check on application statuses may receive on-the-spot review or expedited decisions. Managers may favor individuals who inquire about applications over other candidates. Plan visits or follow-up phone calls accordingly, as management often becomes busy at certain times throughout a given day.
Benefits of Working at Michaels
Individuals with personal interest in the arts and crafting regularly find Michaels job opportunities fulfilling and rewarding. Associates enjoy generous discounts and flexible work schedule options in addition to competitive base pay and yearly salary rates. Paid training and intensive workshops designed to develop and hone applicable skills also stand readily accessible. Qualified employees enjoy corporate sponsored work benefits packages consisting of:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Healthcare coverage
- Paid time off, and life insurance
Further Details on Michaels
One of the unique features of shopping at Michaels includes the ability to sign up for various art classes. Customers may choose from an assortment of classes aimed to teach specific crafting skills in creative environments. The retail chain offers classes for both adults and children, including lessons in paper crafts, culinary arts, knitting and crochet works, fashion, jewelry making, and traditional painting and drawing. Prices vary by subject matter and class size.