Microtel Inn & Suites maintains over 300 hotels and primarily targets cost-conscious travelers looking for reasonable rates. The chain of economy hotels makes up for a lack of extravagant amenities by hiring employees capable of providing each guest with safe and pleasant lodging experiences.
Facts About Working at Microtel
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Microtel?)
Available Positions: Front Desk Agent, Night Auditor, Sales Consultant, Maintenance Technician, Public Area Attendant, Concierge, Housekeeper, Cook, Bartender, Guest Services Agent, Activities Associate, Tour Reception Clerk/Data Entry, Administrative Assistant, Marketing Representative, Bellperson, Housekeeping Room Attendant, Gift Shop Attendant, Casual Food and Beverage Attendant, Service Desk Technician, Discover Sales Representative, Maintenance Officer, Cocktail Server, Spa Attendant, Bartender, AM Hostperson, PM Hostperson, Aesthetician, Grounds Technician, Common Area Attendant
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Microtel Job Opportunities
With locations in more than 40 states, Microtel not only covers the nationwide lodging needs of thrifty travelers, the chain also makes employment opportunities available to job seekers across the country. Prospective workers typically choose from a wide selection of jobs, as each location generally needs to hire entry-level associates and competent managers consistently throughout the year. The budget hotel chain counts on employees to maintain consistent standards of service nationwide, which promotes brand loyalty among guests.
Independently owned and operated, each location acts as an autonomous franchise connected to the rest of the hotel chain by the Microtel name. The franchise model of business enables the hotel owners to set unique hiring requirements specific to the staffing needs of each particular location. Similarly, franchisees usually get to decide which employment benefits to offer eligible associates. In general, the chain of reasonably priced hotels tends to hire friendly workers committed to customer satisfaction and offers a diverse mix of job benefits to qualified employees.
Microtel Inn & Suites Positions and Salary Information
Most employees at Microtel hotels work entry-level jobs involving customer service or housekeeping duties. Each location also employs managers to supervise entry-level associates and drive the success of the hotel. Beginning at 18 years of age, job seekers may apply for any of the positions described below:
- Housekeepers play the largest roles in maintaining clean hotel environments.
- Typical job duties range from dusting and vacuuming guestrooms to sanitizing bathrooms and keeping lobbies and other public areas looking neat and tidy.
- Making beds, replacing bed linens, and replenishing guestroom supplies also rank among the most important housekeeping responsibilities.
- As entry-level workers, housekeepers typically gain employment with high school diplomas, a strong sense of professionalism, and general cleaning knowledge.
- Housekeeping jobs pay about $9.00 an hour.
Front Desk Clerk
- Front desk clerks usually remain stationed in the hotel lobbies and guide customers through the process of checking in or out.
- Check-in procedures require front desk clerks to confirm the details of reservations with guests, coordinate payment arrangements, and issue room keys, while check-out duties include processing cash or credit card transactions, dispensing receipts, and ensuring customer satisfaction with the lodging experience.
- Front desk clerks also answer the phone, set up reservations for future customers, and field questions or concerns from current guests about specific hotel issues.
- Due to the high level of social interaction front desk jobs entail, employees need to maintain the ability to converse with guests cordially and professionally at all times.
- Microtel usually pays front desk associates between $8.00 and $9.00 hourly.
- Hotel managers lead by example to inspire staff members to give the strongest effort possible on the job.
- In addition to motivating and supervising direct reports, managers continuously improve the overall performance of the hotel by creating and sticking to budgets, examining financial records for areas of weakness, developing strategies for increasing occupancy levels, hiring talented workers, and scheduling associates strategically.
- Handling the most serious customer complaints also falls within the scope of hotel management careers.
- In exchange for overseeing and maintaining the success of the hotel, managers earn significantly more than entry-level employees.
- Assistant managers enjoy hourly wages of $10.00 or $11.00, while general managers typically each receive annual salary options of $40,000 or more.
Tips For Applying
Due to the franchise business model under which Microtel hotels operate, each location sets different standards for hiring based on the unique needs of the individual property. Job seekers may need to apply for employment in person, as companies with many franchised locations often leave the details of the application process up to the individual franchisees rather than maintain a centralized listing of available positions online. Applying in person gives job seekers valuable opportunities to make the strongest first impressions possible by dressing up, engaging with current hotel associates in pleasant manners, and handing the completed forms directly to managers. Applicants should also ask managers to explain the next steps in the hiring process, as the resulting information often impacts follow-up plans.
If the anticipated timeframe passes without word from hotel management, applicants may choose to take the initiative and follow up with the appropriate Microtel location directly. Follow-up contact should remain brief, professional, and focused on the continued interest of the job seeker. Applicants may follow up by phone or in person but should refrain from contacting the hotel repeatedly or excessively.
Benefits of Working at Microtel Inn & Suites
Eligible workers take advantage of the various employment benefits offered by Microtel franchisees. The independent hotel owners and operators regularly provide job benefits like:
- Medical coverage
- Vacation or personal days
- 401(k) retirement plans, and
- Employee discounts on room rates.
Additional perks often include career development opportunities, such as coaching and mentoring, online learning programs, and tuition assistance. Access to employee benefits depends on certain conditions, which vary by location.
Additional Information on Microtel Inn & Suites
Microtel hotels boast several features and amenities not traditionally associated with economy lodging. Unlike other hospitality companies, which often reuse the former properties of other brands, the budget hotel chain oversees new-construction locations exclusively. The newest locations feature redesigned guestrooms offering flat-screen TVs, granite countertops, and in-suite kitchen units to go along with the free wireless internet access, complimentary long-distance phone calls, and continental breakfast available at every hotel in the chain. In addition to maintaining a nationwide presence domestically, the chain of economy hotels operates locations in Canada, Mexico, and the Philippines.
does Microtel drug test employees?