Headquartered in New York City, Modell's Sporting Goods operates over 150 locations throughout the Northeastern U.S. The privately held company continues to expand and consistently hires on new employees to join a vast workforce of over 4,000 full- and part-time associates.
Facts About Working at Modell's Sporting Goods
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Modell's?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Key Holder, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Modell’s Job Opportunities
Candidates excelling in customer service and in possession of strong communication skills regularly make excellent employees of the sporting goods retail chain. Entry-level hires generally work as sales associates, who assist customers with product selections and take various forms of payment as cashiers. Through flexible scheduling, most associates work between 15 and 30 hours per week, though some full-time hourly positions exist, as well. Entry-level employees must generally only meet the most basic hiring requirements; however, prior retail experience may prove beneficial in elevating applicants over less experienced job seekers when interviewing with Modell’s Sporting Goods.
With a defined commitment to excellence, Modell’s Sporting Goods provides customers with a variety of athletic equipment, footwear, active apparel, and fan gear in convenient and consumer-driven locations. To preserve such commitment, the sporting goods chain must continually hire leaders who motivate, inspire, and aspire to take stores to new levels. Managers typically perform administrative duties to generate sales, inhibit loss, and provide direction to all subordinate employees. In order to qualify for managerial career opportunities, the retailer may require additional schooling or experience in a corresponding field.
Modell’s Sporting Goods Positions and Salary Information
To qualify for employment with the sporting goods retail chain, candidates must stand at least 18 years of age and possess high school diplomas or the equivalent. Roles in store management may require additional certifications or schooling, depending on the job applied for. Consistently available positions include:
- Store associates act as the recognizable face of the chain and assist as well as engage with customers on a daily basis.
- Employees must consistently display strong interpersonal skills, knack for genuine customer service, and excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
- Associates should understand and utilize current store promotions, loyalty programs, and merchandising techniques in order to drive sales, reduce shrink, and maximize the customer experience.
- Store associates may earn between $8.00 and $9.00 an hour.
- Serving as an entry-level management position, the duties of a department manager take place in a specific section of the store and entail the direct supervision of entry-level associates.
- Employees working as department managers regularly train and motivate subordinate workers through hands-on merchandising and product-knowledge training as well as through consistent communication.
- Department managers may act as liaisons between upper management and store associates, as well.
- Managers also retain responsibility for inventory control, implementing daily set ups and seasonal displays, and appropriately guiding successful selling techniques.
- Aspiring department managers may need an additional year or more of retail management experience to qualify.
- However, some store associates may rise to the position of department manager through promotion.
- Hourly pay options for department managers regularly rest around $13.00.
Tips For Applying
Candidates may apply for Modell’s Sporting Goods jobs either online via the company job portal or by downloading and filling out a standard paper application. When applying online, job seekers must first complete a registration for an online profile. Once completed, the profile acts as a source for multiple applications, with candidates only needing to fill out information once. When applying in person, the applicant should remember to check spelling, accuracy and legibility before handing over the application to a store employee. When possible, ask to hand the completed hiring forms to a manager in order to allow for name-to-face recognition.
After submitting all hiring materials, applicants may expect to hear back from human resource personnel either by phone or email. Most candidates cite wait times of no more than two weeks to hear back from management. Applicants eager for employment may choose to pursue contact with the sporting goods retailer directly, as well. Contacting the preferred store of hire may show genuine interest in working for the company. Additionally, visiting the location may also work in the favor of candidates, as demonstrated initiative may result in being selected to interview over less direct job seekers.
Benefits of Working at Modell’s Sporting Goods
Modell’s promote a proper balance between work and life. The company utilizes various corporate partnerships to encourage healthy lifestyles and maintain fun work atmospheres. In addition, eligible associates receive access to a variety of work benefits. Available job benefits include paid time off, paid holidays, and employee appreciation days. Workers may also gain eligibility for store discounts, anniversary concessions, and employee referral programs in addition to excellent salary potential and advancement opportunities. 401(k) retirement plans may remain available to certain qualified individuals, as well.
Additional Information about Modell’s Sporting Goods
The sporting goods chain contributes to surrounding communities by offering specialized products from local suppliers, promoting community relationships, and supporting programs devoted to assisting local schools, leagues, and nonprofit organizations. During organized team weeks, Modell’s offers sponsorships and discounts, including up to 15% off total purchases. Additionally, when organizations spend over $500 at the sporting goods store, the retailer donates an amount equal to 5% of the total purchase back to the organization. As a result, the sporting goods retail chain continues to give back to local organizations, with total donations exceeding $5 million since 1997.
Donya Hughes says:
I worked for Modell’s Sporting Goods years ago. I was a stock person, and enjoyed my time there.