Numbering about 1,200 locations in nearly half the United States, Murphy USA combination gas stations and convenience stores often crop up in conjunction with Walmart. Founded in 1996, the company underwent impressive growth and continues to offer new job opportunities across the country.
Facts About Working at Murphy USA
Minimum Age to Work at Murphy USA: years old (How old do you have to be to work at Murphy USA?)
Murphy USA Hours of Operation: Mon-Wed: 6:00am-12:00am; Thur-Sat: 6:00am-1:00am; Sun: 7:00am-11:30pm
Available Positions at Murphy USA: Cashier, Gas Station Attendant, Accountant, Accounting Assistant, Assistant Manager, Retail Convenience Store Manager, Digital Marketing Manager
Murphy USA Job Opportunities
Small in size, many Murphy USA locations make entry-level employees responsible for the entirety of the store during any given shift. Workers who enjoy solitary situations and comfortably handle several tasks at once in fast-paced environments make ideal candidates for store associate positions. Due to the large volume of responsibility and pressure associated with entry-level positions in the company, many stores experience high levels of turnover, which ensures the frequent creation of newly available jobs. The combination gas station and convenience store offers both full-time and part-time employees tuition reimbursement and other educational opportunities, which makes employment with the company ideal for university students.
Career-minded individuals may find suitable work with the company, as well. Starting as a manager with the corporation usually requires possession of some form of previous management experience; however, ambitious workers with no experience may easily build a relationship with the store by starting as a cashier. Murphy USA demonstrates strong commitment to promoting from within, so individuals interested in working with the company in a managerial capacity enjoy several opportunities for advancement. Any familiarity with the food service and retail industries may enhance the candidacies of certain applicants, as the skills required in such fields translates to the work done in the combination gas station and convenience store.
Murphy USA Positions and Salary Information
In most states, individuals must stand at least 18 years of age to apply for a job with the company, as most entry-level positions involve the handling and selling of alcohol and tobacco. The exceptions remain Alabama and Illinois, where applicants must stand 19 and 21 years of age respectively. Jobs for which the company regularly accepts applications include:
- Perky, energetic, and physically fit individuals prove best suited to fill cashier positions.
- Responsible for handling cash transactions, making change, restocking merchandise, aiding customers, answering questions, promoting sales, maintaining the presentation of the store, and performing various cleaning tasks over the course of a shift, cashiers should possess outstanding multitasking and organizational skills.
- Additionally, individuals filling cashier roles should remain able to bend, reach, squat, and lift packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Garnering an average hourly wage of $8.00, the position offers full-time and part-time hours.
- Candidates with flexible schedules and the ability to work night and weekend hours remain preferable.
- Responsible for maintaining the fluid operation of the store and fostering compatibility within the store team, managers must remain diligent and detail-oriented.
- Applicants able to demonstrate strong leadership skills and knowledge of managerial tactics receive preference during the hiring process.
- Regular duties include assessing inventory and ordering more as necessary, addressing major customer concerns and complaints, obtaining new talent, overseeing the training process, filling out compulsory paperwork, and generally leading store associates through example and excellent service.
- Murphy USA managers make average salary options of $40,000 to $50,000 annually.
Tips For Applying
Though interested candidates may submit paper applications to the store of choice, Murphy USA conveniently hosts an online job platform. After creating a profile with the system, users should upload resumes to ensure efficient use of time when applying to specific positions. Before posting resumes, applicants benefit from reviewing the hiring document for accuracy and tailoring the language to showcase an ability to fill the desired position. Additionally, drawing attention to past and relevant job experiences casts candidates in a favorable light.
Due to the frequent availability of entry-level positions, hiring managers generally do not require much time to present qualified applicants with a job offer. If interested candidates do not hear from store personnel within a week or two after submitting an application, the probability of receiving a callback remains slim. To confirm application status, individuals may call the store, visit in person, or email the hiring manager. When executing any of the aforementioned methods of confirmation, applicants should remain respectful of the responsibilities of hiring managers while still demonstrating tenacity and interest in the position.
Benefits of Working at Murphy USA
Murphy USA invests in all employees and offers generous work benefits packages to full-time and part-time personnel.
- Competitive pay
- Monthly commission plans
- Medical and dental coverage
- Paid vacation time, and
- Tuition assistance remain available to all employees
Additionally, full-time individuals stand eligible for vision coverage, long-term disability, life insurance, and 401(k) retirement plans.
More Information on Murphy USA
As a fuel supplier, Murphy USA stands dedicated to implementing environmentally conscious policies wherever possible. The company researches ways to make gasoline sustainable and currently promotes five different environmentally friendly options: ethanol, diesel, ultra-low-sulfur diesel, biodiesel, and winterized diesel. Most renewable energy options stand available at the majority of company locations. However the combination gas station and convenience store also experiments with new ways to save the environment. The most recent project entails a fuel containing 85% ethanol and 15% unleaded gasoline.