Fashion house New York & Company manages thousands of employees through a network of over 550 stores. Aspiring professional and entry-level job seekers may find exceptional opportunities for work with the fashion chain featuring room for career growth and generous starting pay.
Facts About Working at New York & Company
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at New York And Company?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Store Sales Leader, Co-Sales Manager, Assistant Sales Manager, Store Manager, Administrative Assistant-Merchandiser, Merchandise Planner, eCommerce Marketing Specialist, Financial Coordinator, Merchandising Project Manager, Manager of Operations, Administrative Assistant - Design, Store Communications Supervisor, Order Management Systems Developer, Customer Service Coordinator
New York & Company Job Opportunities
New York & Company styles embody the modern working woman and feature classic designs accented with lines and contours centered on contemporary fashions. The chain operates retail stores under the values of passion, vision, and customer service. Workers must face on-the-job challenges with ingenuity and thought to the future. Most stores boast fast-paced settings, primarily due to operating in major metropolitan areas or popular shopping districts. Applicants for both entry-level jobs and professional managerial careers must possess sound communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse customer bases.
In addition to vision and passion regarding the fashion industry, employees should also possess up-to-date knowledge of the industry. Understanding seasonal merchandise lines, familiarity with New York & Company fashions, and personal interests in market trends serve prospective associates well during the hiring process. The retailer expects sales and customer service staff to make product recommendations and explain fashions and materials sold in store. While broad, general knowledge of the industry and motivated aspirations to assume roles with the company win out over most other personalities during the interview process, the fashion house requires no formal experience for employment consideration.
New York & Company Positions and Pay Scales
As a high-end fashion chain, the retailer stipulates applicants must meet the minimum age of 18 to qualify for entry-level jobs. Workers must also stand at least 18 for opportunities in management and need to hold high school diplomas and experience in fashion retail. The fast-paced work settings found at New York & Company stores provide flexible scheduling options and paid training. The following list details common positions for hire:
- General positions encompassing several responsibilities, sales associate jobs require applicants to possess fashion insight, interpersonal abilities, and the ability to work varying schedules.
- Sales associates carry out a majority of responsibilities on foot and perform mild manual labor during any given shift, including lifting, bending, and stooping.
- Operation of computers to complete sales transactions on POS systems also represents a daily responsibility.
- Shrewd individuals able to effectively describe and recommend in-house fashions make for ideal employees.
- The job title features both part-time and full-time hours, depending on previous experience and motivation.
- New-hire employees regularly make between minimum wage and $10.00 an hour.
- Career-minded applicants often take advantage of several tiers of managerial opportunities available with the fashion house.
- Job seekers may apply for retail sales manager, assistant manager, and store manager positions.
- Aside from satisfying basic age and experience requirements, workers interested in managerial roles must possess commanding, resolute, dedicated, and highly organized personalities.
- Job duties center on motivating entry-level associates to perform at high capacities, driving sales, ordering products and orchestrating shipments, hiring and training new employees, and processing payroll.
- Managers also routinely influence store layouts and design product displays.
- Loss prevention factors into daily responsibilities, as well.
- Upon hire, assistant managers make roughly $25,000 a year.
- Salary options for retail sales managers largely depend on work performance but usually hover around $50,000 annually.
- Typical pay scales for store managers rest between $50,000 and $60,000 yearly.
Tips For Applying
Workers may apply online or in store; however, individuals who choose to submit employment forms in person should dress for the occasion and exercise exceptional professional behavior. Applicants regularly receive immediate interview consideration upon submitting hiring documents to recruitment personnel in store. The online process may take up to a few days to produce any form of interest from hiring managers, as each store may receive dozens of applications for a single position. In order to use the company careers page to apply for jobs online, workers must create personal profiles using valid emails. The online platform allows aspirants to save progress and return to applications at later dates, if necessary.
Applicants may use the online careers platform to check professional standing with the fashion company. Management typically contacts potential hires within a couple of days regarding interview consideration, with formal job offers extended within a week or two of submitting official employment documents. Perform regular callbacks after completing the application process to show continued interest in working for the chain. Emails and in-store visits also represent acceptable methods of inquiry into application status.
Benefits of Working at New York & Company
Major fashion houses like New York & Company provide excellent career development programs and serve as ideal ways to gain meaningful insight into long-term employment in the competitive industry. Part-time and full-time associates also receive employee discounts and access to healthcare options, financial planning assistance, and paid time off. Specifically, eligible workers receive:
- Vision and prescription drug plans
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Adoption assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee assistance and flexible spending accounts
Further Information on New York & Company
As a champion of social causes, New York & Company corporate offices and retail stores align with various non-profit organizations to enrich the lives of others. The fashion house primarily works alongside The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Each year, the retailer donates millions of dollars to the two organizations to spread awareness and provide funding for treatments and rehabilitation programs directed at individuals with cancer.