Nicor Gas serves over 2.2 million customers in northern Illinois. Headquartered in Napervillle, IL, the energy firm distributes natural gas commercially and residentially. Utility industry job hopefuls regularly find meaningful employment with the regional power company.
Facts About Working at Nicor Gas
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Nicor Gas?)
Available Positions: Customer Service Representative, Administrative Assistant, Controls Engineer, Business Systems Specialist, Instructional Designer, Bilingual Account Representative ,HVAC Service Technician, HVAC Installer Helper, Training Administrator, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Tax Analyst, Accountant, Human Resources Manager
Nicor Gas Job Opportunities
Available to nearly 650 communities throughout The Prairie State, Nicor Gas jobs remain in widespread abundance. In total, close to 2,000 entry-level workers and career professionals carry out daily operations. Popular areas of employment include customer service, installation and maintenance, engineering, and sales. Hiring requirements assigned to technical positions versus administrative roles often vary. Entry-level job titles typically require personable attitudes, basic computer skills, and the ability to work as part of teams. Technical positions routinely ask for accredited certifications and/or completion of vocational training. In some cases, applicants need to possess four-year degrees in related fields; however, many entry-level positions only need high school diplomas or equivalents.
Safety ranks as an important aspect of the utility industry. The prominent natural gas distribution firm places heavy emphasis on safety and requires associates to live up to high expectations when executing job functions. Safety procedures also include environmental efforts to improve sustainability. Regardless of fields or specific titles, workers must adhere to strict company policies on handling, transporting, and processing natural gas products.
Nicor Gas Positions and Pay Scales Information
Nicor Gas encourages job seekers of all varieties to submit applications for available employment. Former military servicemen and women with technical backgrounds often receive increased hiring preferences; however, the popular Midwest utility company reviews applications with little-to-no bias regarding previous enlistment in the armed forces with the proper credentials. The minimum hiring age rests at 18. Additional job requirements vary position to position.
Customer Service Representative
- Available in both part-time and full-time capacities, customer service representative jobs remain highly desirable for bilingual applicants.
- The energy services provider routinely hires on outgoing and accommodating workers to fill both English and non-English speaking customer service positions.
- Primary duties center on answering customer comments, questions, and concerns via email and telephone.
- Customer service representatives also handle billing and process payments.
- The job title requires at least two years of experience in customer service and excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Typing represents the most common responsibility during any given shift.
- Prospective associates should boast superb keyboarding abilities, including up to 40wpm and close attention to detail.
- Entry-level customer service representatives often make between $12.00 and $13.00 an hour.
- Salary expectations rise based on qualifications and experience.
- Earning salary options in excess of $40,000 a year, measurement specialists install, repair, maintain, and troubleshoot commercial and residential natural gas meters.
- Individuals submitting applications for the role must understand the technical workings of gas meters in order to qualify for full review.
- The position also includes collecting data for later analysis and interacting with customers to explain any repairs or changes made to existing meters.
- No related work experience proves necessary for employment consideration.
- New-hires generally undergo thorough training to acclimate to company systems, equipment, and protocol.
- Most measurement specialists maintain full-time job statuses.
Tips For Applying
To access job opportunities online, workers must log onto the careers page sponsored by Nicor Gas parent company AGL Resources. The online platform allows candidates to manually enter contact and professional information or utilize social media accounts to prepopulate data fields. Specific hiring requirements for available jobs vary by position. In general, workers should prepare professional applications, including resumes and cover letters, in order to improve odds of consideration. Highlight related experience and skills from unrelated jobs into positions desired whenever possible.
Workers must create online profiles through the AGL Resources careers site in order to submit applications. After applying for specific positions, Nicor Gas job hopefuls receive instant email notifications expressing receipt of hiring materials. Employment seekers may check on the statuses of applications by accessing individual candidate dashboards using personal login handles and passwords. Each personal landing page highlights outstanding applications and corresponding statuses. The web portal provides applicants the option to withdraw candidacy for positions, if desired. Otherwise, most workers hear back from the utility provider within two to three weeks.
Benefits of Working for Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas promotes employee retention and offers comprehensive work benefits packages. Qualified associates enjoy paid time off, including wellness leave, paid vacation, and holidays. Other job benefits include healthcare options, such as:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Supplemental life insurance, and
- Long-term disability plans.
Workers also gain access to 401(k) retirement plans and employee wellness plans in addition to paid training programs and career development opportunities.
Supplemental Details on Nicor Gas
The major natural gas distributor sponsors a weeklong hiring event called Careers in Energy Week. An annual event taking place in October, Careers in Energy Week provides education and resources to high school and college-age kids interested in utility industry jobs. Activities planned throughout the week introduce students to the industry and opportunities available in various career fields. Nicor Gas generally sends recruitment officials to attend the event in effort to explain the hiring process and requirements of each position available in greater detail.