Founded in 1901, American upscale fashion retail chain Nordstrom started as a shoe retailer in Seattle, WA. As one of the largest department store chains in the country, the company operates both the original department store concept and a clearance store concept called Nordstrom Rack.
Facts About Working at Nordstrom
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Nordstrom?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Customer Service Representative, Stock Team Member, Retail Sales Associate, Fitting Room Attendant
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Nordstrom Employee Interview Videos
Nordstrom Job Opportunities
Nordstrom offers consumers wide-ranging approaches to department store shopping. With collections of popular clothing for men, women, and children as well as jewelry, beauty products, home furnishings, and footwear selections, the retailer appeals to a variety of shoppers. Some locations even offer restaurants or espresso bars to truly offer all-inclusive shopping experiences. With over $8 billion in yearly revenue, the department store chain consistently seeks to add to the over 50,000 employees working out of approximately 200 stores across the United States.
Lower-level employees and career-minded professionals both find employment through the readily accessible company retail hiring process. Entry-level positions, such as sales associate, cashier, beauty advisor, and stock associate, generally require little-to-no previous work history. Supervisory roles tend to necessitate some formal training as well as previous work experience managing large teams of employees, preferably in retail environments. Interested parties may apply online through the company job portal.
Positions and Salary Information for Nordstrom
Potential crew members may apply for positions with the fashion retailer after meeting the minimum hiring age of 16 years old. Nordstrom hires both part-time and full-time job hopefuls to fill a variety of customer service and sales positions. Supervisory career seekers typically must stand at least 18 years of age in order to qualify for employment. Applicants may apply online or in-store for the following positions:
- Primary job duties include ringing out purchases as cashiers and develop relationships with consumers in order to retain clientele for future transactions.
- Sales associates typically make $9.00 an hour to start, with seasoned team members earning up to $12.00 an hour with the possibility of commissions, as well.
- Employees must possess strong organizational skills, excellent interpersonal abilities, and competitive drive.
- Stockers must consistently and repeatedly stock, straighten, and replenish merchandise in all designated departments.
- Stock associates generally earn starting hourly wage around $10.00.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational capabilities, and high levels of accountability prove necessary traits for all workers.
- With positions ranging from department managers responsible for each section of the store and teams of employees to assistant and store managers in charge of store operations and day-to-day business, supervisor roles play an important part of the everyday functions.
- Department managers pay typically falls between $30,000 and $35,000 in annual salary, while assistant managers may earn up to $45,000 a year.
- Managers must possess prior retail experience, knowledge of supervisory techniques, and certain educational backgrounds, in some cases.
Tips for Applying
Applicants may apply for available department store jobs by creating a profile on the company careers portal, which allows candidates to apply for multiple positions with relative ease. Once logged in, candidates may search and apply for various positions at the retail location of choice. If applying in store with a paper application, fill out the form completely and concisely, while focusing on previous relatable work experience, education, and personal references. If possible, turn in finished applications to a manager on duty for introductory purposes and to ask questions regarding hiring processes.
Potential interviewees should take initiative and contact stores to inquire about application status, especially after not hearing from hiring personnel within two or more weeks of submission. Store managers may need to review multiple applications vying for similar positions, so patience may remain a virtue to applicants. Job seekers attempting contact in person at the preferred hiring location may receive on-the-spot interviewing, so arrive dressed appropriately. Wearing Nordstrom fashions may serve further notice of genuine interest in the position.
Benefits of Working at Nordstrom
The department store offers a comprehensive job benefits package complete with medical, vision and dental coverage. Eligible employees also enjoy enrollment in wellness programs, paid personal days, and sick time.
- Workers also take advantage of employer-matched 401(k) retirement plans.
- The retailer offers paid training, generous merchandise discounts, and schedule flexibility, as well.
More Information on Nordstrom
Nordstrom partners with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) in order to help raise funds and awareness across the country. Each year in Seattle, the partnership sponsors the “Beat the Bridge” challenge, consisting of an 8K run and wheelchair challenge, a 4-mile walk, a 1-mile fun run, and a Diaper Derby for young children. The uniqueness comes from the use of University Bridge, which rises in order to allow ships to pass. If contestants do not beat the bridge, runners must wait for the bridge to lower in order to finish. To date, the two organizations have worked together to raise more than $13 million.
Lynei Croom says:
I currently work for Nordstrom Rack, however my experience here as a seasonal employee is wonderful. I would like to pursue a regular part-time position as I am currently a full-time college student. I have had numerous internships and part-time jobs over the years, but retail is what I truly enjoy and love working. I hope that after you read my resume you will find that I am a reliable and trustworthy person and I take pride in my work and find that I would be an attribute to join the Nordstrom Family.
Yvonne Fox says:
I have worked in your cosmetic department. I sold kheils and Clinique. I love working for Nordstrom! I enjoy the sales to the Nordstrom customers. Their smart in what they want. I want to achieve what they wish and hope for and to deliver it to them in the Nordstrom manner. I love the feeling of the store when I walk in and there is always help to teach you more of the Nordstrom store its sales and new technology to help your loyalty sales.