As one of the largest vacation cruise liners in the world, Norwegian Cruise Lines continuously needs to onboard new staff to work various positions while at sea. Adventurous, worldly candidates should fill out the company online application to receive hiring consideration.
Facts About Working at Norwegian Cruise Line
Minimum Age to Work at Norwegian Cruise Line: 21 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Norwegian Cruise Line?)
Norwegian Cruise Line Hours of Operation: Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Available Positions at Norwegian Cruise Line: First Officer, First Repairman, Third Officer, Assistant Hotel Director, Bar Manager, Doctor, Environmental Officer, Executive Housekeeper, Executive Sous Chef, Food & Beverage Director, Guest Services Associate, Hotel Director, Nurse Practitioner, Production Cast, Refrigeration Engineer, Second Officer, Surveillance Manager, Surveillance Operator, Training Specialist, Youth Program Supervisor, Business Development Analyst, Business Development Manager, Content Specialist, Corporate Director, IT Auditor, Vacation Planner
Norwegian Cruise Line Job Opportunities
Typical cruise ship employment entails work similar to positions in industries such as hospitality, restaurant, and entertainment. Job seekers wishing to work for Norwegian Cruise Lines may find roles in onboard casinos, restaurants, and even theaters. Customer service roles, duties as housekeepers and concierges as well as leading off-ship excursions comprise positions for which candidates may apply. Employees typically show interests in travel, pay attention to detail, display strong interpersonal skills, and work well in team environments.
Additional employment opportunities with Norwegian Cruise Lines fall into a variety of categories. In order to successfully run such a large enterprise, the cruise line company invariably needs engineers, mechanics, and technicians to service ships as well as medics, firefighters, and surveillance officers to keep passengers and crews safe. Such roles require further training, certification, and education in order to qualify for hire. Individuals looking for full-time and fulfilling employment may find careers in management readily available as well.
Norwegian Cruise Line Positions and Salary Information
Most positions available for entry-level workers require minimal to no hiring requirements outside of applicants standing at least 18 years of age. Additionally, job seekers must possess high school diplomas or equivalents. Perfect for seasonal workers such as individuals on school breaks, candidates may find employment in the following positions:
Guest Service Representative
- Earning a starting hourly wage of around $12.50, a guest service representative works in various roles throughout the cruise ship.
- For instance, a guest service rep may work exclusively in the onboard casino.
- Employees receive inbound calls and assist with product-related questions, process reservation orders, and must maintain working knowledge of current promotions.
- Representatives support guest requests, including stateroom upgrades, inquiries about shipboard amenities, and any itinerary queries.
- Guest service reps must display exceptional interpersonal skills as well as the ability to handle high-volume calls with enthusiastic characteristics.
- A surveillance operator retains responsibility for the safety of people aboard the ship, including passengers and crew.
- Employees actively observe and report incidents while conducting real-time monitoring of assigned areas as well as utilize CCTV and monitoring equipment with regularity.
- With salary packages starting around $11.00 an hour, a surveillance operator must maintain professional appearances at all times, work well in team environments, possess exceptional vision, and may require additional certifications before or after hire.
- Surveillance operators must also prove able to walk, stand, bend, twist, lift, and reach with relative continuity in order to receive hiring consideration.
Personal Cruise Consultant
- Viewed as an outbound sales representative, a personal cruise consultant remains responsible for selling cruise line products and packages directly to consumers.
- Associates must promote products, including upgrading patrons to more luxurious packages, to prior customers and new cruisers alike.
- Maintaining strong client lists and rapports with regular customers, as well as in-depth knowledge of industry features, promotions, benefits, pricing, and typical itineraries, remain a must.
- Previous sales experience may prove beneficial during the hiring process, though candidates with excellent verbal skills, the ability to multitask, and desire to work flexible schedules also qualify for hiring consideration.
- Personal cruise consultants make pay rates of $11.00 per hour.
Tips For Applying
Norwegian Cruise Lines offers interested candidates a straightforward and relatively easy application process online via the company job portal. After registering email addresses and unique passwords, applicants fill out personal information, work and education histories, and answer brief questionnaires. Job seekers may upload resumes and cover letters, as well. As some positions prove seasonal, applicants should nail down availabilities ahead of time in order to come across more appealing to hiring personnel, if possible.
Applicants may check statuses directly by logging in to view profiles on the company job portal. As the cruise line leader receives a multitude of applications for similar roles, wait times vary from a couple weeks to as long as a month. Hiring also takes place at varied times of the year, due to peak travel seasons. Contacting recruiters directly may yield little results as the company updates job statuses with frequency online.
Benefits of Working at Norwegian Cruise Line
Along with seeing the world, exceptional pay rates, and various paid trainings, employees of Norwegian Cruise Lines frequently report access to work benefits packages. The cruise line company offers tuition reimbursement, service recognition programs, and cruise discount programs to both team members and immediately family.
Additionally, eligible full-time and part-time employees cite access to medical, dental, and vision plans.
A 401(k) retirement plan remains available for full-time associates in addition to paid time off for vacation, floating holidays, and sick time.
Other Information about Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Cruise Line partners with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to grant the wishes of children facing life-threatening medical conditions. The vacation company assists in booking the cruise and ensuring special accommodations. Tailoring each experience to the individual child, the cruise line bases wishes off the personal interests, which includes the honorary title of “Captain for the day.”