A division of German shoe retail conglomerate Deichmann Group, Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse maintains close to 75 locations in the United States and offers employment opportunities worldwide. Entry-level applicants need no real experience or formal training for hiring consideration.
Facts About Working at Off Broadway Shoes
Hiring Age: 17 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Off Broadway Shoes?)
Available Positions: Retail Professional, Store Manager, Area Manager, District Manager, Corporate Support Staff, Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative
Off Broadway Shoes Employment Opportunities
Increased popularity since the acquisition of the retailer by Deichmann Group in 2002 often creates fast-paced work environments. Employees must demonstrate the ability to handle multiple patron inquiries at once in order to fulfill sales and customer service expectations. Most jobs available require stocking out products, organizing shelves and backroom areas, and unloading shipments of merchandise. Workers in customer service roles must also retrieve products from storage areas and display racks, which adds bending, stooping, and reaching to responsibilities in addition to standing on foot for long periods of time.
The popular retail chain caters to women, men, boys, and girls, with merchandise lines featuring stylish and trending brands. Customers may also find shoes for toddlers as well as footwear-related accessories. Large, open warehouse formats allow patrons to browse for items with ease and provide space for tens of thousands of shoes available at each location. Wide varieties of products and brands require familiarity with footwear in general and sound organizational and memorization skills to accurately and effectively recommend products and direct shoppers to the appropriate areas of each store. However, despite the need for attention to detail, associates enjoy fun, collaborative, and supportive job settings centered on teamwork and ongoing training. Workers also gain access to job benefits packages while employed.
Off Broadway Shoes Job Prospects and Pay Scale Information
Employment falls under three distinct categories at Off Broadway Shoe stores: part-time, full-time, and management. Applicants looking for part-time or full-time roles generally need to stand at least 17. Managerial opportunities and select full-time jobs require age minimums of 18 and basic educations, such as high school diplomas or equivalents. The warehouse-format shoe retailer regularly screens for the following positions:
- Available in part-time and full-time capacities, sales associate jobs place employees on retail sales floors interacting with customers, suggesting sizes, styles, and brands of shoes, and answering questions about products, services, and store policies.
- Sales associates also straighten and organize shelves, stock out merchandise, and ring up purchases.
- Basic math skills, extroverted personalities, and dedicated work ethics serve as typical character traits sought after during the hiring process.
- Managers may also look for open availability and reliable transportation when making employment decisions.
- Pay usually starts out right around minimum wage and increases with experience.
- Job seekers may take interest in managerial career opportunities available in store.
- Off Broadway Shoes offers supervisor, assistant manager, and store manager positions.
- The upper-level employment options require proven leadership abilities and excellent motivational skills.
- Managers traditionally need some prior history with the shoe retailer, as the chain enjoys promoting from within; however, many current managers received hiring consideration as outside candidates without related job histories.
- Day-to-day responsibilities include organizing daily shifts, assigning tasks, ensuring customer satisfaction, and supervising entry-level workers.
- Assistant managers and store managers additionally hire and train employees, order supplies and merchandise, and perform opening and closing procedures.
- A typical supervisor makes just above minimum wage at $9.00 per hour or so.
- Assistant managers enjoy annual salary options starting at $25,000 and rising to roughly $35,000, while store manager salary packages often exceed $55,000 annually.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should indicate desires to work for the footwear chain long-term during the hiring process to increase chances of employment. Company culture revolves around commitment to the brand name and building cohesive and supportive teams. Job seekers looking for short-term employment may still find viable options for work, despite preference given to individuals looking to spend lengthy periods of time. However, entry-level workers looking for short-term jobs may only assume part-time roles.
Off Broadway Shoes provides a single-page digital application form for employment hopefuls to fill out via the company careers page. The document allows individuals to upload resumes and cover letters and provide basic background information. Candidates wait about a week to hear back from hiring personnel regarding application forms after official submission. In some cases, workers may wait as long as two weeks. Management usually contacts prospective associates by telephone to extend interview invitations. Motivated workers may call, email, or visit stores prior to hearing back from management to check on hiring statuses and inquire about the next steps in the process to expedite procedure. Wait roughly three-to-five days before checking on application status, as managers usually take the time immediately after submitting employment forms to review the documents and see if candidates represent ideal fits with the company.
Benefits of Working at Off Broadway Shoes
At base levels, entry-level workers enjoy discounts on merchandise, flexible scheduling, and opportunities for career advancement. Off Broadway Shoes also offers:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Healthcare coverage, and
- Paid time off for full-time employees in managerial roles.
Most employees, both past and present, cite relaxed job settings and intensive training as extremely desirable work benefits, as well.
Supplemental Information on Off Broadway Shoes
In 1977, company founder Heinz-Horst Deichmann created a nonprofit organization benefitting young children in impoverished situations abroad. The charity primarily affects youths in India, Greece, and Africa as well as other select areas in need throughout the world. The program, Word and Deed, focuses monetary and human resources to build schools and hospitals, provide food and healthcare, and teach kids invaluable skills for self-sustainability. Word and Deed also teaches adults life skills to build rich communities in which each person possesses the ability to care for one another.