Old Country Buffet operates as a subsidiary of Ovation Brands, one of the largest buffet companies in the U.S. The company oversees nearly 525 restaurants within 36 states, which allows Ovation to employ about 18,000 team members interested in working in a self-serve restaurant environment.
Facts About Working at Old Country Buffet
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Old Country Buffet?)
Available Positions: Host, Hostess, Waiter, Waitress, Bus Person, Dishwasher, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Assistant Restaurant Manager, General Restaurant Manager, Assistant Kitchen Manager, Kitchen Manager, Restaurant Hospitality Manager, Food Production Manager, Area Director, Culinary Project Manager, Facility Manager, Construction Manager, Project Coordinator, Production Control Coordinator, Compensation and Benefits Analyst, Accounts Payable Specialist, Benefits Manager, Project Leader
Printable Application: Yes. Print Old Country Buffet application (PDF) or Search Job Openings.
Old Country Buffet Job Opportunities
The buffet chain places an emphasis on hiring restaurant crew members passionate about serving guests, motivated to exceed expectations, capable of treating customers as extended family. The company also hires with the intent to retain employees and advance hardworking associates within the hospitality industry. The fast-paced working environments of the prominent chain often require employees to cover various roles outside of hired on job title. Flexibility in both schedule and work ethics prove vital to the team-oriented job settings featured at the restaurant.
Many different employment opportunities exist at Old Country Buffet for job hopefuls seeking part-time and full-time entry-level positions. Candidates who provide outstanding customer service qualify for front-of-house work in jobs such as cashier or server. Workers preferring little patron interaction may perform well as dishwashers or cooks. Applicants possessing former experience might pursue careers in management roles with the buffet chain.
Old Country Buffet Positions and Salary Information
Candidates must verify compliance with a minimum hiring age of 17 years during the application process. Applicants seeking employment with little experience to offer may land positions such as cashier, food bar attendant, or dishwasher. Other candidates offering related background in restaurant service work may qualify for positions such as server or manager. Opportunities regularly available to job seekers sit listed below:
- The position of cashier holds responsibility for completing transactions upon customer entrance due to the nature of the buffet.
- Other duties include interacting and connecting with guests to set the tone of the visit, fulfilling the unique needs of customers, delivering the ‘6 Steps of Cashier Hospitality’ taught during training, and maintaining cleanliness around the cashier stand and surrounding areas.
- Each cashier may receive pay between $8.00 and $15.00 an hour.
- Cooks and bakers prepares buffet foods for customers.
- The cook or baker takes responsibility for preparing hot foods and bakery items using prescribed recipes in order to provide consistency, while ensuring proper safety and sanitation procedures.
- Both job titles feature part-time hours, with few full-time opportunities possible with experience gained.
- Cooks may receive between $8.00 and $10.00 an hour.
Food Bar Attendant
- Keeps the buffet island stocked and replenished at all times during each shift.
- Other responsibilities include maintaining a clean, neat and organized selection and ensuring guest satisfaction by assisting with questions or concerns.
- Food bar attendants work on foot and regularly interact with patrons, although the position rarely proves customer-centric.
- A typical food bar attendant receives minimum wage upon hire.
- Key tasks assigned to servers include delivering excellent customer service, taking drink orders, and answering questions about menu items and services.
- Other responsibilities include interacting and connecting with customers, making each visitor feel welcome, and maintaining and stocking server areas.
- Servers start out earning $2.00 an hour and make up to $5.00 per hour in addition to gratuity.
- Some locations may start servers out at minimum wage.
- The primary objectives of Old Country Buffet managers include the daily operations of the restaurant and to supervise employees with the goal to provide guests with outstanding hospitality and food service.
- Other functions of the position include operating a clean and safe restaurant, supervising, training, and developing team members, maintaining strict compliance with health, safety, and security standards and procedures, overseeing the preparation of food, providing guest services and interactions, creating schedules, and placing food orders.
- Hiring consideration remains reserved primarily for candidates with one year of restaurant management experience, high school educations, valid driver’s licenses, and the ability to work up to 50 hours per week.
- Each manager may enjoy annual salary between $38,000 and $55,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Applicants may choose to apply online or in person at a location of desired hire. The company welcomes candidates to utilize either method. Applying in person may give job hopefuls the upper hand by allowing for the opportunity to build rapport with a hiring manager. However, using the online application form allows users to seek openings at various locations with ease. The process begins on the company website by clicking the People & Careers tab at the header of the homepage. Clicking the link redirects applicants to employment information, including a job search for hourly, salaried, and corporate positions.
The online job application form asks applicants to submit an email and password so job hopefuls who run out of time, lose internet connection, or suffer computer problems during the process may retrieve the application. Old Country Buffet usually contacts qualifying applicants within one to two weeks of application submission. Waiting candidates may inquire about the status of an application via phone call or in person at the desired location of hire. Applicants following up with the company often project an image of genuine interest in the position. However, job seekers pursuing follow-up contact should extend courtesy to managers by making communication efforts during the least busy hours of operation.
Benefits of Working at Old Country Buffet
Employees enjoy working in the relaxed environments of the self-serve restaurant with opportunities for career growth and personal development. Full-time workers may also become eligible for job benefits. Packages often include:
- Competitive base pay
- Annual performance-based rewards
- Paid vacations
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Family meal discounts, and
- 401(k) retirement plans.
Other perks may include training, employee recognition programs, educational reimbursement, and scholarship opportunities.
More Information on Old Country Buffet
Old Country Buffet hosts various promotions such as Family Game Nights and Breakfast for Dinner on Thursdays. Each location also participates in the Birthday Kids Club, which grants children a free meal every year. Though corporate-level employees often come up with the charitable campaigns, the company invites innovative and creative team members to generate ideas for exciting new initiatives.
Shalamar Bilal says:
Working for Old Country Buffet was a great experience. I moved around from many different positions. I was a dishwasher, line server, and server assistant. I also wiped down tables.