Founded in the early 1980s, Ollie's Bargain Outlet represents one of the longest-running surplus retail stores in the country. A long history of success and operations in highly populated areas lead to the ongoing need for new workers to assume part-time and full-time roles.
Facts About Working at Ollie's Bargain Outlet
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Ollies Bargain Outlet?)
Available Positions: Part-Time Sales Associate, Seasonal Sales Associate, Full-Time Sales Associate, Picker, Guest Service Supervisor, Assistant Team Leader, Store Team Leader, Distribution Center Associate
Ollie’s Employee Interview Videos
Ollie’s Bargain Outlet Job Opportunities
The retail chain boasts over 170 locations across the United States. Sales include items marked down by wholesale distributors and range from home decor and lawn and garden supplies to cleaning materials, electronics, kitchen wares, appliances, pet food, and sporting goods. The diverse lines of merchandise require applicants able to memorize store layouts and direct customers to intended purchases in professional and attentive manners. Most entry-level workers spend a majority of each day on the sales floor interacting with patrons. Stocking shelves and straightening aisles also comprise the daily responsibilities of an average Ollie’s Bargain Outlet employee. However, most jobs require associates to float between duties as needed.
In addition to hiring for existing stores, the bargain-price retail chain pool applicants for work in future stores. Before officially opening new locations, Ollie’s Bargain Outlet hires on entire staffs to ensure new operations make smooth transitions upon opening. Individuals with open schedules and motivated attitudes historically perform well during the hiring process for entry-level work, even without previous experience. Careers in management typically impose tighter restrictions on related work history and formal education prior to employment, with high school diplomas or equivalents and at least some background in retail necessary to receive hiring consideration.
Ollie’s Bargain Outlet Pay Scales and Positions Information
Every entry-level employee assumes a part-time schedule upon hire. Full-time hours remain reserved for lead, supervisory, and managerial associates. The Midwest and East Coast retailer provides ongoing training, competitive base pay, and opportunities for career advancement, regardless of job status. Applicants generally encounter the following positions for hire:
- One of two part-time entry-level positions available at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet stores, the sales associate job title functions as a customer-centric role facilitating purchases, organizing shelves, and assisting cashiers when necessary.
- Workers need no real experience to qualify for the position.
- Some physical requirements may factor into overall hiring decisions; however, applicants only need to show personable demeanors and the ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Starting wages fall between $8.00 and $9.00 per hour.
- The position of cashier represents the other entry-level employment opportunity available with the popular retailer.
- A regular workday consists of scanning merchandise and coupons, processing sales, and issuing receipts and change.
- Cashiers may also work sales floors and assist in stocking duties, as needed.
- On average, cashiers make minimum wage and up to $9.00 an hour.
- Pay for cashiers often increases over time and with promotion into lead roles.
- Experience and education often qualify motivated individuals for managerial careers.
- The chain both hires on and promotes workers into supervisory roles.
- Key responsibilities vary by specific position but generally entail hiring and training new staff, delegating work, motivating crew members, analyzing sales figures, ordering inventory and supplies, coordinating shipments, scheduling, processing payroll, and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Career options available include head cashier, department manager, and store manager.
- All levels of management work full-time and receive pay scales starting around $12.00 to $13.00 hourly for head cashiers and rising to more than $50,000 annual salary for store managers.
- The average Ollie’s manager enjoys salary option around $30,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Ollie’s Bargain Outlet provides a quick and easy-to-complete online application form accessible through the company webpage. Workers must fill out and electronically submit the form in order to receive formal consideration for available jobs. The document includes data fields for contact information, divulgence of criminal histories if applicable, age and citizenship verification, and the ability to upload a resume. Preparing related materials and spending an adequate amount of time completing the hiring form may benefit prospective workers wishing to make solid first impressions. Applicants may also apply for available retail jobs in person, which may help establish solid rapports with potential managers.
The hiring process used to select entry-level workers regularly produces quick turnarounds. Previous applicants report receiving job offers within a week of submitting the necessary employment forms and in as little as a day or two. Applicants may check on outstanding applications by calling or visiting desired locations and speaking directly with management. Calling or visiting stores the day after turning in applications often shows determination and genuine interest in working for the retail chain. Managers regularly extend invites to interviews during follow-up contact.
Benefits of Working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet
As an entry-level employee, work benefits consist of paid training, competitive hourly rates, career growth potential, and associate discounts on merchandise. Employees in full-time roles, such as:
- Head cashiers and department managers
- Enjoy access to 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off, and
- Healthcare options like medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Employment benefits eligibility and availability often varies by position and location due to franchising.
More Details on Ollie’s Bargain Outlet
Already appealing to bargain shoppers, the discount retail chain offers customers full money-back guarantees on every product. If at any time a customer feels unsatisfied with a purchase, the consumer may bring the item in question back to the same Ollie’s store and return the item for a full refund with the original sales receipts. Returns must take place within 30 days of the initial purchase. The chain refers to the promotion as the 30-day No Hard Time Guarantee.