Providing customers with quality footwear at discounted prices, Payless ShoeSource serves a worldwide consumer base in over 30 countries. The shoe store offers internships, entry-level work, leadership programs, and career-oriented employment to individuals searching for gainful hire.
Facts About Working at Payless Shoes
Hiring Age: 17 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Payless Shoes?)
Available Positions: Assistant manager, assistant store leader, designer, keyholder, sales associate, store manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Payless Employee Interview Videos
Job Opportunities at Payless ShoeSource
Payless ShoeSource continues to grow since inception in 1956. With over 4,000 stores worldwide, the shoe supplier requires new talent to work as store associates, managers, and in the company corporate offices. Though many available positions do not require previous work experience, individuals familiar with retail and customer service may receive preference during the hiring process. Working knowledge of shoe styles, trends, and the industry may afford candidates additional favor with hiring personnel. The company values include delighting customers, showing respect, inspiring possibilities, delivering excellence, and behaving ethically. Individuals able to demonstrate commitment and passion for such principles fare well during screening processes.
Enterprising individuals may find suitable careers by opening new franchised locations. Resources available on the company website aid interested candidates. Other nontraditional employment opportunities with the shoe supplier include internships and college programs. While leadership seminars mostly cater to students and recent college graduates interested in upper management, existing entry-level employees remain welcome to participate and advance within the company.
Payless ShoeSource Positions and Salary Information
As entry-level positions require job candidates possess at least high school educations or the equivalents, interested individuals should stand at least 17 years of age to receive consideration. Payless ShoeSource employs more than 25,000 associates. High rates of turnover and expansion necessitate the acquisition of new talent. Readily available positions include:
- Individuals motivated by helping people and consistently delivering friendly customer service make ideal sales associates.
- Available in part-time and full-time capacities, sales associate positions earn hourly wages from $8.00 to $10.00.
- Regular shift duties include greeting customers, answering any questions, offering suggestions, retrieving merchandise from the back to fit customer needs, replenishing stock, operating the cash register, maintaining the cleanliness of the store, and generally ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Individuals must demonstrate proficient math skills and an ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Knowledge of the merchandise and pervious work experience may afford candidates preference during the hiring process.
Assistant Store Leader
- Assistant store leaders must perform sales associate duties while also learning and practicing the management of the store.
- Individuals should either possess two years of job experience in leadership roles or two completed years of college.
- Computer, math, and customer service skills prove necessary for hire, as well.
- Responsibilities prescribed to the position include acquiring and training new talent, contributing to store sales goals, responding to customer needs and concerns in timely fashions, checking inventory, opening and closing procedures, operating cash registers, and performing duties assigned by store leaders.
- Commonly a full-time position, the job title of assistant store leader offers salary packages of about $25,000 to $30,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
The careers page on the Payless ShoeSource website features a job hosting portal interested aspirants may use to apply for available positions. After signing up for the portal, applicants must provide relevant information, such as past work experiences and years of education. Users also maintain the option of uploading resumes. The process includes completing job-specific questionnaires. Before submitting the finished application, individuals should review materials for accuracy and professionalism.
Checking on the status of an application may boost the visibility of a job candidate within the pool of applicants. If handled well, application inquiries may also earn candidates consideration for future work openings. Individuals maintain three options: visiting the store of choice, calling hiring personnel, or sending emails. No matter the medium, applicants should always conduct status checks professionally and with regard for the time of hiring managers.
Benefits of Working at Payless ShoeSource
Full-time and part-time employees of Payless ShoeSource qualify for job benefits packages. The medical insurance offered by the company covers dental, vision, dependent care, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and features flexible spending accounts. Additionally, workers who meet the employee benefits requirements receive:
- Paid time off
- Which includes vacations
- Holidays and sick leave in addition to 401(k) retirement plans
- Associate discounts, and
- Adoption assistance.
More Information on Payless ShoeSource
The Payless ShoeSource Foundation supports children and families by providing basic human needs in crisis situations. The Foundation mainly invests in organizations supplying food, shelter, and clothing. Offering grants up to $25,000, the Foundation awards exemplary organizations twice a year. Additionally, the organization partners with UnitedWay Topeka and Two Ten Footwear Foundation to provide homes to children and supply shoes to individuals in need, respectively.
Debra Manning says:
I am a Key Holder and smiles leader. I am great at merchandizing and doing multiple tasking. I have been an employee with Payless since 1998 and love working for Payless. It is a great company to work for.