Pei Wei Asian Diner provides fast-casual dining experiences in about 200 restaurants within the United States. Dedicated to fresh, from-scratch meals, the Asian diner remains a significant source of entry-level employment for job hunters interested in the foodservice industry.
Facts About Working at Pei Wei Asian Diner
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Pei Wei Asian Diner?)
Available Positions: Waiter/Waitress, Host/Hostess, Cashier, Food Runner, Busser, Cook, Prep Cook, Wok Cook, Pantry Cook, Dishwasher, Assistant Manager, Kitchen Manager, General Manager, Marketing Partner, Benefits Administrator, Category Manager, Payroll Specialist, Web Designer/User Experience
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Pei Wei Asian Diner Job Opportunities
Initially a P.F. Chang’s company and now a Centerbridge Partners subsidiary, Pei Wei offers fast food in fresh formats. The successful nature of the restaurant allows for continued growth around the country, and in effect, amasses vast quantities of jobs for restaurant industry workers. Corporate-level jobs require minimum education benchmarks in addition to various experience thresholds. Many entry-level, part- and full-time job opportunities stand accessible within restaurant locations for job hunters seeking careers or supplemental income.
Traditionally, restaurant industry jobs exhibit high turnover rates. Individuals searching for work with flexible scheduling profit from the constant change. New workers with little seniority often work varying shifts and regularly accept holiday and weekend hours. However, most locations close early enough to promise timely evening quitting times, which affords fair work-life balance not often present in the restaurant business. Customer service demands apt interpersonal abilities along with the fortitude to weather unpleasant patrons. As dining services usually deal with rushes of people, shy aspirants who fail to impress hiring staff with multitasking potential receive few job offers.
Pei Wei Asian Diner Employment and Pay
Workers may find employment with the restaurant chain beginning at the age of 16. Managerial positions require high school diploma equivalencies and a minimum two years of industry experience. While other positions may benefit from such qualifications, hiring staff regularly hire non-experienced applicants for entry-level roles. The most common jobs fall in the list below:
- Cashiers learn every front-of-house job including bussing and food running.
- Knowledge of each dish coupled with serving abilities allows cashiers to help fellow coworkers as needed when few customers require check out.
- Multitasking remains an essential trait for cashiers in addition to personable attitudes for working directly with customers.
- Other cashier functions include cleaning floors and bathrooms and occasional dish cleaning.
- Additionally, cashiers must maintain adequate levels of personal hygiene amidst patron food.
- Earning around minimum wage to start, cashiers may achieve increased hourly rates up to $11.00 with promotions.
- Chefs earn between $9.00 and $13.00 an hour depending on experience and positioning within Pei Wei.
- Standard assignments include preparation and seasoning of made-to-order food, work environment sanitation, and quality control.
- The high-pressure environments repel any applicant unable to cope and perform during lunch and dinner rushes.
- Hiring managers often seek motivated, hardworking applicants for cook jobs and routinely overlook cooks lacking proper hygiene practices.
- Displaying desirable characteristics as well as exceeding expectations usually proves grounds for promotion.
- Managerial roles offer superior, competitive compensation, as a great deal of responsibility rests in the hands of managers.
- In addition to normal duties, such as ensuring customer satisfaction and driving sales, managers may work subordinate roles in the case of employee absence or influxes of customers.
- Recruiters seek candidates who possess excellent leadership skills, demonstrate customer service acuity, and exude expertise in culinary operations.
- General managers make yearly salary options somewhere between $40,000 and $50,000, while assistant managers earn around $30,000 to $40,000 a year.
- Assistant manager duties entail balance between manager responsibilities and hourly tasks.
- The assistant manager role often serves as relief for general managers in the event of customer complaint reconciliation, worker scheduling, or even entire days worth of duties.
Tips For Applying
Apply online or in-person for Pei Wei restaurant opportunities. Plan to spend at least 30 minutes completing the required application, as the form requests personal historical information in addition to references. Always request to speak to a manager and, if possible, meeting hiring personnel in-person remains the best possible option for leaving a good impression. Dress accordingly for the interview and display a courteous and sociable personality. Preparation for interviews may include mock interviews with friends or family to gauge personal strengths and weaknesses.
After receiving applications, hiring managers may take up to a few weeks before initiating requests. Job offers following the interview reportedly take as long as a couple weeks. While shorter waiting periods occur, extended timeframes warrant interviewees to contact hiring staff. Remain mindful of peak hours of operation and attempt contact during slower periods of the day. Demonstrating conscientious behavior allows recruiters to make fast, guilt-free hiring decisions.
Benefits of Working at Pei Wei Asian Diner
Qualified employees may receive desirable work benefits packages including:
- 401(k) retirement plans along with medical
- Dental, and vision insurance options
- Paid vacation
- Bonus pay, and
- Sick leave remain prominent employment benefits for upper management workers.
Pei Wei also offers discounts and even free food to eligible staff. Although not a full-service restaurant, employees may receive occasional tips, as well.
Further information about Pei Wei Asian Diner
As a sister company to Chinese bistro giant P.F. Chang’s, Pei Wei functions as a lower-cost and faster Asian cuisine counterpart while maintaining the food quality of most sit-down restaurants. In 2000, the subsidiary opened to the public in Phoenix, AZ. Each restaurant start-up fee hovers around $500,000 in contrast to the nearly $2 million needed to build a new P.F. Chang’s. The benefits of Pei Wei remain apparent, and in 2004 Restaurant Business magazine honored the diner as the top fast-casual restaurant in the country.