Make More Money!
Learn How to Become a Vet Assistant
Pet Valu stands as one of the largest retail operations in North America, with over 600 locations in Canada and in the United States. Highly trained employees view pets as family members and provide customers with expert advice regarding pet care and nutrition.
Facts About Working at Pet Valu
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Pet Valu?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Pet Valu Job Opportunities
The international retail chain hires dedicated pet lovers demonstrating passion for customer service. Associates assist customers in choosing the right pet products from over 7,000 available nutrition and pet-care options. Individuals interested in applying for Pet Valu jobs should share the traits respected by the company: knowledge, professionalism, experience, and performance. Holding prior retail or customer service experience may give potential employees an advantage over the competition when applying. However, workers undergo rigorous training courses designed by the University of California Davis to mold fresh recruits into seasoned experts on the topics of feline, canine, reptile, and small mammal healthcare and nutrition.
Many retail stores remain locally owned and operated, which contributes to a family-like feel among teams of workers. Retail employees work part-time or full-time with flexible schedules, often requiring weekend and holiday shifts. Interacting with customers proves a large part of the job, so workers must demonstrate professional, friendly attitudes, and stay calm under pressure. Pet Valu stores regularly hire retail associates, pet groomers, and positions in store management.
Pet Valu Work and Salary Options
Pet lovers looking to begin full-time retail careers or individuals seeking gainful part-time employment may find lucrative, fulfilling work at Pet Valu. Candidates may complete online application forms or apply in person at local stores for the following available positions:
- The role of sales associate makes a great part-time job for any worker desiring flexible hours.
- As an entry-level position, the job title of sales associate generates starting pay rates around $8.50 per hour.
- Associates must undergo intense training programs upon hire in order to gain comprehensive knowledge of pet nutrition and health needs as well as familiarity with the extensive company product catalog.
- Typical job duties entail answering customer questions, handling transactions at cash registers, stocking shelves, and maintaining clean shopping areas.
- Although not required, previous retail or customer service experience stands preferential.
- Candidates must demonstrate teamwork skills, excellent customer service abilities, good communication skills, and the ability to work independently.
- In order to offer complete pet care, Pet Valu hires experienced groomers to provide grooming services for feline and canine family members.
- Workers address pet needs and perform desired grooming services, such as bathing, combing, trimming, cleaning, and styling dogs, cats, and other animals.
- Associates must follow the instructions of pet parents to comply with the special needs or behaviors of animals, and must demonstrate calm, nurturing attitudes to put nervous pets at ease during the grooming process.
- Groomers stand responsible for scheduling appointments, maintaining clean facilities, and supplying necessary tools, such as shears and clippers.
- Candidates must hold at least one year of experience grooming pets.
- Since employees hold contract positions with the company and earn 60 percent commission on grooming services, salary packages vary based on number of services performed.
- Potential earnings may amount to over $30,000 a year.
Assistant Store Manager
- Assistant store managers work full-time training employees, increasing sales, resolving customer service issues, and encouraging fun, safe work environments.
- Typical daily tasks include opening and closing the store, greeting customers, meeting with store and regional managers to discuss sales goals, managing inventory, and assisting store management with tasks such as scheduling, auditing transaction records, security monitoring, and workplace policy enforcement.
- Qualified workers earn hourly rates upwards of $12.00.
- To meet eligibility criteria, candidates must hold previous supervision experience in retail environments with proven sales performance, leadership skills, emotional intelligence, and dedication to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays.
Tips For Applying
Candidates may submit resumes online or ask to speak to managers at local Pet Valu stores in order to obtain consideration for employment. Online application forms exist via third-party job-search websites where applicants may submit resumes to recruiters. In-person applications prove the quickest methods of obtaining employment with the pet store. Prospective associates who turn in application forms in person tend to receive interviews within one or two days, while online applicants may wait up to a week before receiving responses.
Hiring processes move quickly, and prospective employees generally hear back regarding applications in timely fashions. However, applicants who do not receive responses should follow up to check on application statuses. The most effective methods remain either calling the desired store or visiting hiring managers to ask about the status of applications face-to-face. Individuals who receive rejections should take some time to improve resumes and gain relevant work experience before reapplying at later dates.
Benefits of Employment at Pet Valu
Pet Valu careers prove immensely rewarding for pet lovers who enjoy helping families choose the best healthcare and nutrition solutions for furry family members. Employees also enjoy the job benefits of flexible work schedules, fun atmospheres, competitive wages, paid training, employee discounts, and family-like teams of caring workers. Eligible full-time associates receive additional employment benefits packages, which include:
- Medical insurance
- Dental healthcare coverage
- Paid time off for holidays and sick leave
- Paid vacations, and
- Enrollment in 401(k) retirement plans.
More Details about Pet Valu
The leading pet store chain extends charitable operations throughout local communities. Pet Valu regularly raises millions of dollars for local pet rescues, shelters, and charities. Additionally, annual food and litter drives offer customers and associates the opportunity to help pet shelters and needful pet-owning families by purchasing cat litter and pet food to donate. Charitable donations collected by the retailer also go toward purchasing flak jackets, dog goggles, and protective booties for dogs serving alongside combat troops in warzones.