Founded in 1986, PetSmart operates over 1,500 stores throughout the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is one of the largest pet supplies retailers in the U.S.
Facts About Working at PetSmart
Minimum Age to Work at PetSmart: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at PetSmart?)
PetSmart Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 9:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 10:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at PetSmart: Bather, cashier, early morning stocker, groomer, pet care associate, pet products associate
PetSmart Employee Interview Videos
Listen to former employees discuss working at PetSmart:
PetSmart Job Opportunities
Hiring locations are often in major shopping centers, bringing in consistent business. Qualified applicants may also find factory work at company warehouses as well as administrative and marketing positions with corporate. However, PetSmart retail outlets remain the most promising and accessible places for potential jobs with the business.
Departments and Duties
PetSmart offers job seekers employment opportunities in several departments ranging in scope from pet food and toy retail to grooming services for animals. Retail employees sell both care supplies and extensive selections of live pets from the sales floor.
Customer Service Needs
Workers must excel at helping customers make favorable buying choices. Many PetSmart locations also feature in-store veterinary, training, and daycare service for pets. Work hopefuls find plentiful career options in part-time and full-time capacities in each area of the store.
PetSmart Employment and Salary Options
Though many locations feature service jobs in daycare and pet training departments of stores, retail work is typically the most accessible type of employment. The following positions are available at PetSmart locations:
- Suitable jobs for individuals with upbeat and outgoing personalities, cashier positions entail handling cash and bank card transactions with customers.
- Employees remain responsible for leaving patrons with positive impressions of stores, and should smile and make friendly conversation without slowing down the checkout process.
- Cashiers also answer questions about supplies and animals and need to maintain comprehensive knowledge of the pets and products the company retails.
- Pay ranges from minimum wage up to $9.00 per hour.
Pet Care Associate
- Pet care associates bear the crucial responsibility of caring for live animals in PetSmart stores.
- Workers need to possess compassion and ensure pets receive humane treatment and care.
- Duties often include feeding pets, cleaning tanks and cages, and providing vital information about the animals to prospective customers.
- Employees work with wide varieties of animals ranging from dogs and cats to snakes and fish and must know relevant diet and habitat information.
- Pet care associates usually earn about $8.75 per hour.
Pet Products Associate
- Pet products associates work during slower business hours to stock shelves and maintain product displays.
- Pay scales start around $9.50 per hour, on average.
- Employees ensure the cleanliness of aisles and shelving when placing merchandise in appropriate sections.
- Positions often remain part-time commitments, though tenured employees may access advancement into full-time stock lead roles.
Tips For Applying
Motivated applicants with enthusiasm for pets and aptitudes for sales fare best when applying for PetSmart. Job seekers should wear business casual attire to interviews and store visits and keep character references available upon request.
Candidates must also remain prepared for drug and background screenings. Online applications are the standard method for obtaining employment at PetSmart. Job seekers typically must be at least 18 years of age to apply online with the company.
The hiring process may take several weeks in some cases. Check application status by following up with phone calls and store visits during down times. Visiting PetSmart locations in person shows dedication and interest in obtaining work. On-the-spot interviews are also a possibility.
Benefits of Working at PetSmart
Full-time employees working over 36 hours per week stand eligible for several job benefits with PetSmart. These include:
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision coverage plans
- Enrollment options for 401(k) retirement plans
- Vacations, sick days, and holidays.
Career benefits may extend to immediate family members, as well. Geographic region and age at time of employment may alter job benefits available.
More Details on PetSmart
Company headquarters reside in Phoenix, AZ, and the retail chain devotes both time and money to local organizations. The pet supply corporation partners with groups such as the Arizona Humane Society and the Phoenix Suns professional basketball team in charitable contexts. PetSmart also works with national entities such as Family Promise and Canine Companions for Independence to further support animal rights and provide pet-related help for veterans and low-income families.