A Wisconsin-based retailer providing traditional grocery goods to customers in the Midwest, Pick 'n Save manages around 100 locations and maintains a sizeable workforce of roughly 20,000 associates to carry out store operations. The regional supermarket experiences turnover consistently and needs to hire on entry-level workers to fill out existing staffs. As the grocery store chain continues to grow under parent company Roundy's Supermarkets, job seekers should find more and more opportunities available to work in various capacities throughout each location.
Facts About Working at Pick 'n Save Grocery
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Pick 'n Save Grocery?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Bagger, Cart Retriever, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Pick ‘n Save Job Opportunities
Pick ‘n Save jobs encompass a variety of positions ranging from entry-level customer service opportunities to work in stock, shipping and receiving, and store management. Eligible candidates usually find the necessary hiring materials to gain employment with the Midwest supermarket online. The online application takes only a few minutes to complete and offers motivated individuals access to competitive pay scales, flexible scheduling, and employment benefits packages upon hire.
The grocery store chain primarily looks for dedicated, friendly, and knowledgeable individuals to hire on as staff during the interview process. Each department requires driven individuals to maintain operations and provide customer service as well as managers to oversee operations and supervise entry-level employees. Applicants may choose from job openings in dairy, produce, meat and seafood, bakery, floral, deli, pharmacy, health and beauty, general grocery and frozen foods, and even specialty aisles containing gluten-free and organic groceries. Some Pick ‘n Save jobs require candidates to possess certain academic or professional qualifications for employment consideration, although most basic work opportunities provide avenues for career development without prior experience.
Employment and Pay Scales Information for Pick ‘n Save
The minimum age applicants must meet for Pick ‘n Save employment eligibility begins at 16. Many positions carry bi-fold job descriptions and require workers to remain active for several hours at a time while on the clock. The most popular positions for hire with the Midwest grocery store chain include:
- Pick ‘n Save cashiers perform multiple duties at store frontends.
- Traditional job responsibilities include working checkout aisles and completing transactions on computerized point-of-sales systems.
- Basic math skills often prove a necessity for employment consideration.
- The position also involves regular interaction with patrons and serves as a pivotal point of contact with customers.
- Applicants must possess friendly and outgoing personalities to gain hire.
- Workers in cashier jobs also perform bagging duties and assist customers in carrying groceries.
- Quick, efficient, and well-mannered individuals receive the most bids for cashier positions.
- Associates regularly start out at minimum wage, with average hourly pay hovering around $8.50.
- Individuals hired on as Pick ‘n Save clerks also encounter dual roles in store departments.
- Positions like baker and other departmental job titles require applicants to carry out both specific and general responsibilities.
- Meat and deli department workers may spend a majority of time operating deli equipment or cutting meats.
- Bakers spend a great deal of given workdays preparing baked goods.
- In addition to department specific job duties, clerk associates take responsibility for general sanitation, stocking, customer service, and sales.
- Positions regularly involve bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling of goods and commodities.
- Some physical stamina may prove necessary for employment; however, many hiring managers base employment decisions on customer service abilities and competence to carry out department specific tasks.
- Clerks also receive minimum wage starting pay.
- Hourly wages rise to more than $10.00 with experience.
- An ideal place for career-minded individuals to begin long-term tenures in the grocery store industry, Pick ‘n Save needs to hire workers to assume positions of leadership at various levels.
- Job titles available include department lead, department manager, and store director.
- Department lead employees work in tandem with department managers and assist in various administrative capacities.
- Primary objectives include scheduling workers, tracking employee hours, supervising, training, and hiring on entry-level staff, and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Department managers also regulate shipping and receiving efforts and track inventories.
- Store directors oversee all departments at store locations and lead sales and marketing initiatives.
- The abilities to effectively lead groups of individuals and drive sales often prove desirable qualities hiring personnel look for in managerial candidates.
- Applicants must stand at least 18 to assume management roles and possess background as leaders or in the grocery store industry.
- Most department leads earn between $11.00 and $13.00 per hour.
- Pay scales rise to $35,000 to $40,000 annual salary for department managers.
- On average, store directors enjoy salary options between $55,000 and $60,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Most applicants happen upon Pick ‘n Save job opportunities via career fairs or the company employment portal online. Hiring forms are also available at nearby locations. Attending career fairs prior to filling out applications may be the ideal way to bolster personal image and show off desirable qualities in person, as opposed to simply listing details on paper or online. Since the retailer favors any individual able to work quickly and communicate effectively, candidates should focus on cleanliness, punctuality, general availability, and efficiency.
As managers screen applicants thoroughly, hiring procedures last an average of one to two weeks. Employee referrals may speed up the process and result in job offers after just a few days. In some instances, stores may wait as long as a month to contact prospective associates. The extended time tables allow persistent applicants opportunities to follow up on their applications and build solid rapports with managers. Some of the best ways to inquire about application statuses include calling, emailing, or visiting preferred locations and asking to speak with supervisors. Arrange the meetings or electronic communications around slower hours of operation. Bothering managers during peak business hours may result in being viewed as a nuisance and lead to dismissal from consideration.
Benefits of Working at Pick ‘n Save
Standard employee benefits of industry-competitive wages, flexible scheduling, and paid training begin upon hire at Pick ‘n Save stores. The Midwest grocery retailer also offers employment benefits packages consisting of:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Healthcare options and life insurance coverage.
Entry-level associates and career professionals also receive discounts on products and services.
Supplemental Information Pick ‘n Save
As a means to connect with customers in a more personal way, Pick ‘n Save uses the company website to provide updates on in-store deals and promotions and other useful, food-related information. One of the more interactive highlights of the company website includes a section dedicated to video cooking demonstrations. With a simple click, patrons access dozens of recipes updated regularly with instructional videos to assist in creating delicious gourmet meals. The webpage even offers a meal planner for customers to follow along with and featuring foods commonly found at Pick ‘n Save stores.