More than 600 American grocery stores boast the unique yet mysterious hog-inspired label Piggly Wiggly. Aside from the memorable name, most locations provide patrons with services common to the supermarket industry, from daily food necessities to customized cake decorating options. The multitude of offerings demands a steady flow of workers and managers at each store.
Facts About Working at Piggly Wiggly
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Piggly Wiggly?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Bagger, Stock Clerk, Service Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Produce Clerk, Deli Clerk, Bakery Clerk, Cake Decorator, Meat Cutter, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, Co-Manager, Store Manager, Warehouse Worker, Data Architect, IT Business Analyst, Human Resources Coordinator
Piggly Wiggly Job Opportunities
Piggly Wiggly supermarkets offer job seekers fun and fast-paced employment possibilities. Most entry-level positions require no previous grocery retail experience, and associates enjoy flexible scheduling, paid training, and career growth potential. Employees maintain store appearances and assist customers with completing transactions and filling orders in various departments. Some entry-level job titles include cashier, stock clerk, bagger, and meat cutter. Job hopefuls with outgoing personalities and strong work ethics should submit an application at a store of desired employment.
Each supermarket location needs to hire motivated and dedicated professionals to oversee operations and manage employees on the department and store levels, as well. Meaningful career options sit in abundance for upper-level candidates, with experienced grocery retail professionals often finding jobs as store managers and assistant managers. Managerial job seekers should check local store websites for employment opportunities and submit applications to designated contacts.
Piggly Wiggly Employment Options and Salary Info
Frequently hiring, the Southern U.S. supermarket must fill part-time vacancies and full-time jobs with entry-level workers and career associates. As a company focused on hiring management from within, the grocer often promotes motivated and passionate associates to fill upper-level positions. The company imposes age minimums of 16 years for entry-level jobs. Piggly Wiggly commonly hires workers to staff the following grocery store jobs:
Job Description and Duties
- Job seekers in the Midwestern and Southern United States may stand familiar with Piggly Wiggly supermarkets.
- With more than 600 locations, the Memphis-based grocery store routinely hires new workers for entry-level and advanced positions alike.
- First-time workers should apply for cashier positions with Piggly Wiggly.
- An introductory job into the grocery store industry, cashiers mainly ring up customer purchases.
- Using computerized register system, cashiers must handle all kinds of cash transactions, requiring great attention to detail.
- Cashiers also help bag groceries, although most of the time designated packers perform bagging job duties.
- Sound social skills and communication abilities typically set prospective employees ahead of other candidates.
- The minimum hiring age falls at 16.
Salary and Compensation
- Starting salary options and wages for Piggly Wiggly cashiers normally fall under the discretion of store managers and owners.
- However, job seekers earn at least minimum wage, especially first-time workers.
- Some cashiers may even earn in upwards of $8.00 or $9.00 an hour.
- Piggly Wiggly offers both part-time and full-time job opportunities, with varying levels of work benefits and rewards.
- All employees accrue vacation time in addition to store discounts, schedule flexibility, and paid training job benefits.
- Additional employee benefits made available to full-time workers exclusively include medical insurance, 401(k) retirement plans, and savings accounts.
- Depending on availability, Piggly Wiggly cashiers may look into career opportunities as department supervisors or even store managers.
- Job opportunities regularly open up at Piggly Wiggly locations, which creates ideal avenues for entry-level employment hunters to find meaningful and rewarding work.
Job Description and Duties
- Popular supermarket chain Piggly Wiggly hires store clerks to carry out departmental job duties.
- Primary responsibilities include customer service and basic maintenance and sanitation.
- Specific job duties vary by department.
- Workers may find employment as Piggly Wiggly store clerks in a variety of capacities in meat, deli, dairy, produce, frozen foods, baked goods, and other departments.
- An entry-level employment opportunity, the position of store clerk carries no formal hiring requirements.
- Applicants must only meet the minimum age requirement of 16 for employment consideration.
- During job interviews, however, Piggly Wiggly hiring managers often look for strong work ethics and the ability to work flexible schedules.
- The ability to comfortably perform manual labor on a regular basis and interface with customers also benefits prospective employees.
Salary and Compensation
- Piggly Wiggly store clerks typically start out earning minimum wage.
- Pay then increases with experience to around $8.00 or $9.00 per hour, depending on location.
- As entry-level jobs, store clerk positions offer associates the ability move into supervisory or managerial roles through proven work performance.
- Many Piggly Wiggly entry-level workers go on to work full-time careers as managers with lucrative salary options in excess of $40,000 or $50,000 per year.
- Piggly Wiggly employees also enjoy work benefits, such as paid training, flexible work schedules, and discounts on products and services.
- Eligible associates receive 401(k) retirement plans, employee assistance programs, paid time off, and healthcare options, as well.
- The regional grocery store chain continues to grow and expand throughout the South and Atlantic coastline.
- Many new and old stores consistently hire workers into store clerk positions.
- Job seekers should find entry-level employment opportunities readily available at most Piggly Wiggly locations.
Job Description and Duties
- Piggly Wiggly regularly hires experienced workers to serve as department, assistant, and store managers and oversee all phases of store operations.
- The management team works to maximize sales and customer satisfaction.
- Essential job duties include hiring and training entry-level employees, delegating daily tasks to hourly workers, executing merchandising strategies, ordering and maintaining inventory, and resolving customer issues.
- Managers also communicate with corporate officials and perform various administrative jobs to sustain the financial well-being of the store.
- Piggly Wiggly management positions require applicants have a high school diploma and previous work experience in the supermarket industry.
- Additional hiring requirements vary by job title and store location.
- College degrees or coursework often prove helpful in obtaining assistant and store manager jobs.
- Prospective managers should have strong business acumen and proven leadership skills.
- Candidates should also expect to work flexible, full-time schedules frequently featuring evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
Salary and Compensation
- Department managers at Piggly Wiggly usually receive hourly pay resting between $10.00 and $12.00.
- Salary options for assistant managers start around $35,000 a year, while store managers enjoy annual salaries of $60,000 or more on average.
- As all Piggly Wiggly locations feature independent franchise ownership, available employment benefits vary from store to store.
- Management careers typically come with extensive job benefits packages often including healthcare coverage, paid time off, life insurance options, and 401(k) retirement plans.
- Piggly Wiggly operates more than 600 stores in mostly rural communities throughout 17 states and continuously offers employment opportunities ideal for job seekers looking to build grocery store management careers in underserved markets.
- Deli clerks take and process orders, offer helpful suggestions to guests, accurately weigh orders, and maintain clean work environments.
- The position may require completion of food safety and sanitation courses upon hire.
- Entry-level deli clerks generally start out earning minimum wage, with pay increasing over time.
- Meat cutters provide customer assistance, suggest daily specials, cut and measure meat, and maintain compliance with all health and safety regulations.
- Pay rates typically fall between $9.00 and $13.00 an hour to start.
- Applicants must be stand least 18 years of age to apply for meat cutter positions.
Tips For Applying
Job hopefuls have the option to either apply online or fill out paper applications in store. Candidates may email hiring personnel to learn more about jobs prior to completing employment forms or simply visit locations to ask management directly. In either case, workers need to keep individual schedules, personal hygiene, and communication skills in mind. Grocery stores like Piggly Wiggly pride themselves on hiring courteous, outgoing employees able to work a variety of hours, including nights and weekends.
Most Piggly Wiggly applicants spend less than a week going through interviews and other necessary procedures for hiring consideration. However, checking on application statuses within a few days of submitting the required paperwork may shorten overall wait times. Calling or emailing storefronts and asking questions about the next steps in the hiring process shows determination and regularly moves applicants up in employment queues. Individuals may also visit stores in person to ask about hiring statuses. All three methods communicate enthusiastic interest in positions for hire and may result in preferential treatment from recruitment officials.
Benefits of Working at Piggly Wiggly
The company offers competitive pay to part-time workers and generous salary options to full-time associates. Piggly Wiggly also offers work benefits for healthcare, future planning, and employee development. Qualified employees may take advantage of other job benefits, including:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Healthcare coverage
- Paid time off
- Tuition assistance
- Employee referral bonuses, and
- Store discounts.
More Details on Piggly Wiggly
On top of providing the classic supermarket amenities, Piggly Wiggly stores offer company merchandise, like t-shirts, hoodies, and other souvenirs. The supermarket prints phrases like, “I Dig The Pig,” and “Peace, Love, and Pig,” on apparel. Other gadgets include flashlight key chains shaped like pigs, umbrellas, totes, and mouse pads. Each piece of merchandise boasts the company logo in some way, shape, or fashion. Patrons interested in such commodities make orders online and products ship within two or three weeks.