Ponderosa Steakhouse locations, also known under the Bonanza Steakhouse banner, operate throughout the United States and serve as a popular choice among family-dining enthusiasts. The chain boasts more than 225 restaurants, each with consistent needs for new employees.
Facts About Working at Ponderosa Steakhouse
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Ponderosa Steakhouse?)
Available Positions: Waiter/Waitress, Host/Hostess, Cook, Prep Cook, Head Cook, Dishwasher, Cashier, Stockroom Associate, Shift Manager, Assistant Manager, Manager, Marketing Director
Ponderosa Steakhouse Job Opportunities
Hourly positions comprise a bulk of employment opportunities available with the nationwide restaurant. Applicants in search of part-time roles or full-time, entry-level jobs may take interest in front-of-house and back-of-house roles requiring no formal education or work history for employment consideration. Entry-level jobs available include kitchen, hosting, and serving positions. Additional entry-level job titles revolve around bussing and dishwashing. Restaurant-industry career seekers may take interest in work as assistant or general managers; however, the supervisory roles usually require applicants to stand at least 18, possess high school diplomas or equivalents, and experience in related positions or fields. Ponderosa imposes a minimum hiring age of 16 for non-serving entry-level job titles.
The buffet formats of Ponderosa and Bonanza Steakhouse locations operate under traditional, family values. Employees receive constant encouragement from management to maintain friendly and attentive relations with customers and cater to patrons needs as quickly as possible. Constantly varying selections of buffet items require teams of associates to change out old trays and restock supplies, as needed. While servers only take drink orders and process bills, the entry-level roles remain pivotal posts requiring extreme diligence and outgoing personalities. Most jobs within entry-level employment status require team-player attitudes and socially personable demeanors.
Ponderosa Steakhouse Employment and Wages
Applicants able to meet the corresponding hiring ages specific to positions desired enjoy flexible scheduling, complimentary uniforms and nametags, and competitive pay upon hire. Workers must maintain open scheduling availabilities, as the chain of buffets regularly places newly hired individuals into varying shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. Ponderosa consistently needs to hire motivated candidates for the following positions:
- The basic tenants of server roles include greeting customers, taking and serving drink orders, providing extra condiments, napkins, or silverware as needed, and ensuring satisfaction with overall dining experiences.
- Applicants exuding bright, positive, and energetic personalities represent ideal fits for the entry-level job.
- Ponderosa servers usually receive minimum wage base pay, with tips rounding out a majority of hourly rates.
- The position also features extensive training to familiarize workers with services and menu items prior to official hiring.
- Primary responsibilities for line cooks involve assembling food items for grilling, frying, or baking.
- Line cooks also change out food trays as necessary. Sanitation plays a vital role in the position, as well.
- During any given shift, a line cook may take garbage out, wipe down work stations, and sweep and mop floors.
- Busy rushes may require line cooks to assume the duties of full cooks.
- Pay scales generally begin around minimum wage for line cooks and top out at $10.00 an hour.
- Another entry-level position requiring little experience, the busser job title includes clearing and wiping down tables and reorganizing place settings.
- Bussers may also assist in washing dishes if business picks up.
- Speed of work and attention to detail greatly influence hiring decisions for busser positions.
- Bussers usually work part-time and move into other entry-level roles with experience.
- Hourly base rates fall around minimum wage, as well.
Tips For Applying
The equal opportunity employer encourages job seekers to visit locations in person in order to fill out applications. Each restaurant maintains blank application forms on file for workers to complete and submit. Prior to visiting locations, prospective candidates may use the Location Finder featured on the company website. The Location Finder allows applicants to check surrounding areas for additional Ponderosa Steakhouse restaurants looking for new and dedicated employees.
Due to reliance on paper applications, workers must either call or visit desired Ponderosa Steakhouse locations to check on the statuses of hiring documents. The in-person facilitation of providing paper applications only often expedites the overall process of gaining employment. Applicants frequently cite completing the process from submission to receiving job offers within a week. Some applicants may receive on-the-spot consideration when handing in employment materials and job offers same day. A job seeker looking to check on the status of an application should call or visit during slower hours to ensure full attention from management.
Benefits of Working at Ponderosa Steakhouse
Paid training constitutes an immediate job benefit employees receive upon hire. The nationwide buffet chain implements extensive and ongoing training to provide instruction in all aspects of services to each associate. Time off and pay increases also remain readily available for employees demonstrating strong work performance. Additional employment benefits, such as:
- 401(k) retirement plans and healthcare options
- Typically stand reserved for full-time
- Managerial staff.
More Information about Ponderosa Steakhouse
To further connect with patrons in family-centric ways, the restaurant proprietor extends generous discounts to seniors and children. The senior menus, which include diners 65 and older, and kid’s menus, for diners 10 and under, boast more than a dozen discounted favorites, including sirloin steaks, burgers, grilled tilapia, and the infamous Ponderosa buffet. Special menu items sometimes vary by location.