A fast food chain specializing in hot dogs, Portillo's operates close to 50 locations throughout the United States. Applicants from the Midwest and through the American Southwest may access competitive and rewarding careers in a lucrative industry featuring excellent pay and job benefits.
Facts About Working at Portillo's Hot Dogs
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Portillo's Hot Dog?)
Available Positions: Crew Member, Ordertaker, Customer Service Representative, Expeditor, Cashier, Cook, Sandwich Maker, Prep Cook, Busser, Dishwasher, Manager in Training, Assistant Manager, General Manager, Loss Prevention Agent
Portillo’s Hot Dogs Job Opportunities
The most important and widespread among available jobs include entry-level crew member positions. Historically part-time, crew member jobs offer industry-competitive starting pay and opportunities to directly interact with customers on a daily basis. Up the employment ladder sit managerial positions as supervisors. Corporate careers also remain available through the company home offices in Oak Brook, IL. However, corporate jobs sit in far less abundance than other employment options and require advanced degrees and years of industry experience, in most cases.
Founded as a food truck in the early 1960s, Portillo’s grew in response to decades of friendly customer service and revered menu options. Offerings primarily consist of all-beef hot dogs served with various toppings and side, including chili, mustard, pickles, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and cheese. However, the diversity of available menus provide choices for everyone, such as burgers, fries, and grilled chicken sandwiches, which attracts and retains patrons of wide varieties. Most locations feature work environments centered on fast friendly service. Employees must cater to customer needs at all times and perform daily duties quickly and efficiently to uphold the reputation of the chain. Memorization plays an important role in working for the hot dog-centric fast food restaurant, as workers must remember customer orders and menu options in order to further expedite services.
Portillo’s Positions and Pay Scales Information
Job hunters must stand at least 16 years of age in order to work for Portillo’s nationwide. In some states, applicants under the age of 18 may need to obtain special permits from government offices to receive employment consideration. Entry-level jobs available provide the most potential for interested applicants, while careers in management and corporate administration necessitate exemplary passion and drive to succeed in the fast food industry among other specific qualifications and credentials. Opportunists may readily apply for the following jobs:
- Entry-level positions with rotating duties, crew member jobs feature minimum wage starting pay and hours totaling no more than 25 to 30 per week, on average.
- Crew members typically work varied schedules upon hire.
- Portillo’s offers three types of entry-level crew member jobs: guest services, production, and support.
- Guest services employees work as hosts or servers, while production associates prepare meals and support staff clean dishes, clear tables, and sanitize restaurant grounds.
- Speed and efficiency play vital roles for each entry-level role available.
- The fast food chain also bases hiring decisions on the brightness and outward-orientation of employee personalities.
- The hot dog-centered restaurant offers assistant manager and restaurant manager job opportunities for motivated individuals with experience.
- Each location requires a handful of managers working on rotation in order to maintain profitable operations.
- Principle responsibilities range from hiring and training new staff and motivating crew members to placing supply orders, analyzing and reporting sales data, marketing, and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Training for managerial roles generally coincides with other supervisor schedules.
- Once a candidate completes the manager training program, the individual may work more varied schedules.
- Assistant managers often work both part-time and full-time hours and make between $10.00 and $12.00 an hour.
- Restaurant manager roles yield salary options peaking around $55,000 a year.
- Managers must stand 21 and over and hold, at minimum, two to three years of experience for employment consideration, most of which must include work in high-volume restaurant settings.
Tips For Applying
The ability to work long shifts, sometimes in excess of 10 hours straight, often benefits prospective employees. Availability, in general, regularly serves as one of the largest selling points applicants should possess heading into the hiring and application processes. Night and weekend availability, along with personable attitudes, consistently weigh heavily into overall decisions regarding employment. Note an open schedule on hiring documents and during face-to-face meetings with restaurant personnel in order to further cement candidacies for work.
Most applicants receive phone calls to interview within a week of submitting the required hiring forms. Prior to receiving phone calls, prospective candidates may visit or call management to check on the standings of application forms. The phone calls or visits should remain brief yet direct and reaffirm interests in joining the fast food company. Visit or telephone locations only during slower business hours, as managers may not possess the time to step away from daily responsibilities without advance notice.
Benefits of Working at Portillo’s
Portillo’s job benefits packages apply mainly to management staff. The chain rewards both part-time and full-time managers with hosts of lucrative employment benefits. Upon hire, associates enjoy meal discounts and uniform allowances. Employee benefits packages eventually include:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Dental and life insurance options, and
- Bonus incentives
Part-time, entry-level staff may also qualify for meal discounts and uniform allowances; however, restrictions often vary by location.
Additional Information on Portillo’s
Patrons looking to experience Portillo’s at home may utilize catering services to plan events ranging from weddings to small family gatherings and access an online store featuring menu options and licensed merchandise. Selections from the online store include party packages with up to five pounds of food. The company website provides detailed instructions for reheating food once received and wide varieties of official memorabilia, including gift cards, hats, t-shirts, schooners, bumper stickers, and lanyards emblazoned with the brand insignia.