William and Norman Dabish founded Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park, MI, in 1975. The success of the original facility created demand for additional out-of-state locations. Tremendous growth and continuous expansion stimulates the need for employees across the globe.
Facts About Working at Powerhouse Gym
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Powerhouse Gym?)
Available Positions: Front Desk Associate, Sales Associate, Personal Trainer, Assistant Manager, General Manager
Powerhouse Gym Job Opportunities
With more than 2 million members belonging to over 300 locations, Powerhouse Gym stands as the largest gym licensor in the world. Job hunters wishing to create positive environments in top-notch facilities may find full-time or part-time work opportunities. Dedication to high-quality customer satisfaction necessary for employment requires a sense of friendliness, spirit, and individual pride within employee ranks. Knowledgeable staff create motivational atmospheres to support members in attaining fitness goals. An annual convention allows workers to share experiences, participate in workshops, and develop strategies to better service members and communities.
The founding family remains at the helm of the company and instills personal care and attention throughout the employee hierarchy. Associates inspire coworkers and gym members alike to become better and healthier people. Most available jobs exist in gym facilities and require friendly, sociable, and interactive personalities. However, several other departments contribute to the strength of the brand and may further provide employment options. Contracted departments include gym licensing, publications, preferred vendor programs, marketing, trade shows, and merchandising. Genuinely interested individuals seeking rewarding career paths should consider applying online.
Powerhouse Gym Employment and Pay Scales
Applicants must possess high school-equivalent education levels and stand at least 18 for employment consideration. Prior certification in CPR and first aid increases hiring chances. Generally, applicants must maintain healthy lifestyles and support others in similar and constructive fashions. The most common entry-level positions for hire include:
- Fitness attendants instruct patrons in the effective use of cardio and strength-training equipment.
- Job duties also consist of constant monitoring of gym floors to prevent workout injuries.
- Attendants provide routine maintenance and sanitation to fitness equipment to further ensure safety, as well.
- Floor workers document and report equipment malfunctions and other causes for concern.
- In case of injury, gym employees should remain attentive and knowledgeable regarding appropriate medical attention procedures.
- General inquiries into gym programs necessitates extensive brand knowledge and sound customer service abilities.
- Normal pay for fitness attendants ranges from $8.00 to $12.00 an hour.
- Sales managers must possess friendly and outgoing personalities and exhibit enthusiasm for the club, as positive, patient, and courteous attitudes put members and workers at ease.
- Supervisors work with all departments to develop skills, client self-images, and atmospheres built on respect.
- Sales managers carry out meetings with staff individually at least once every two weeks to conduct evaluations.
- Responsibilities also revolve around assessing current programs with respect to profitability and meeting member needs.
- Sales managers should possess bachelor’s degrees in business or marketing in addition to two years of experience in similar recreational facilities.
- Additionally, supervisors must efficiently communicate, promote, and organize brand services and offerings.
- Salary options vary between $40,000 to $68,000 annually dependent on both tenure and volume of sales.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should dress professionally during interviews to signify serious intentions for employment. Hopefuls should either possess extensive knowledge of exercise and leisure activities or study sports science to reinforce abilities and increase likelihood of contact. Candidates should note extracurricular activities on application forms and resumes, especially participation in athletic programs or related backgrounds in customer service.
Hiring managers may reach out prospective associates within a week or up to several months after receiving employment forms, depending on individual facility needs. Establishing rapport by frequenting the gym after applying may bolster chances of employment. Writing emails or placing phone calls may also prove valuable to candidates wishing to inquire about application statuses. Applicants should remember to place phone calls or visit locations to speak with management during slower hours to avoid becoming a nuisance or obstructing staff from daily responsibilities.
Benefits of Working for Powerhouse Gym
In addition to helping people become healthier and happier, associates may relish in various job benefits. Competitive base pay and salary options, free gym memberships, discounted merchandise, and flexible hours allow workers to enjoy healthy living while maintaining gainful employment. Full-time associates may also select from employee benefit packages, which may include:
- 401(k) plans
- Healthcare coverage
- Paid vacation
- Paid time off
- Medical insurance and life insurance
More Information on Powerhouse Gym
Powerhouse Gym became involved in print media beginning in 1992. The publication, Powerhouse Magazine, informed members on current events within the company. In 2002, the prominent chain of health clubs created Powerhouse Television, a personalized TV network shown in house where gym owners control advertisements and music to create better workouts environment.