Nearly 20 ships comprise the fleet utilized by seaborne passenger line Princess Cruises. Applicants looking for jobs aboard the massive watercrafts encounter thousands of opportunities ranging from entry-level guest relations positions to professional careers in navigation.
Facts About Working at Princess Cruises
Minimum Age to Work at Princess Cruises: 21 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Princess Cruises?)
Princess Cruises Hours of Operation: Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Available Positions at Princess Cruises: Crew Member, Deck Staff, House Keeper, Manager, Cook
Princess Cruises Job Opportunities
A storied company history and renowned services and amenities attract thousands of travelers annually. Destinations include more than a dozen popular and exotic destinations, including extended world cruises lasting up to three months. The wide range of package options and constant departure of vessels to locales around the world create rampant job opportunities in various roles. While underway, each ship individually requires hundreds of workers in order to maintain the exceptional levels of service customers expect from the cruise line. Housekeeping, food service, and maintenance jobs often remain the most accessible positions available aboard passenger ships. Job seekers may also find work in customer service and sales land-based corporate office positions.
Ideal job opportunities for entry-level applicants include housekeeping and restaurant positions aboard Princess Cruises ships. Each boat houses thousands of guestrooms, dozens of boutique shops, and multiple restaurants. Hiring takes place on a regular basis for housekeepers, servers, cooks, sales associates, bussers, table runners, and hosts. Most employees operate on rotating schedules requiring up to several months at sea. Aspiring cruise ship industry employment hopefuls should possess open availability and desires to travel regularly. Workers should also exhibit excellent communication skills and patience under stress. Long voyages at sea in confined quarters should factor into final decisions to work for the passenger line.
Princess Cruises Jobs and Salary Information
The prominent cruise line divides labor into two types: land-based and seaboard. Applicants in search of work in either capacity need to meet the minimum hiring age of 21 to qualify. Most positions available require some prior experience in related fields, as well. Compensated training occurs upon hire, with opportunities for advancement into senior or supervisory careers based on job performance. Princess Cruises consistently hires for the following positions:
Junior Assistant Purser
- An entry-level administrative job, the position of junior assistant purser supports senior employees in the Purser Department aboard each ship.
- Employees oversee personnel operations, manage accounts payable and receivable for onboard hotel, restaurant, and retail operations, and orchestrate travel excursions.
- Candidates must possess at least two years of work in hospitality or travel, including previous cash-handling responsibilities.
- Basic computer literacy, bilingual skills, and efficient data-entry abilities also represent ideal characteristics.
- On average, junior assistant purser associates make between $30,000 and $40,000 a year.
- Shopping often proves one of the most popular activities aboard Princess Cruise ships.
- The international company provides several duty-free stores for passengers to visit while underway.
- Each location maintains retail operations much like traditional stores and hires on motivated and energetic individuals who enjoy working with the general public.
- Sales associate jobs include independent and team-oriented responsibilities.
- Workers prepare and organize merchandise for purchase, answer questions about products, explain policies, ring up purchases, take inventory, and reconcile cash drawers.
- The entry-level position features flexible scheduling and competitive pay starting at $9.00 per hour.
- Hiring requirements includes two years in retail or related fields concentrating on the sale of jewelry, cosmetics, clothing, or other fine materials.
Customer Call Center Support
- In addition to seaboard jobs, land-based opportunities like customer call center support staff worker offer competitive pay and paid training.
- Individuals lacking experience may take interest in customer call center support jobs, as the cruise line regularly hires on applicants new to the workforce.
- The position centers on fielding customer complaints, comments, questions, and concerns regarding company policies and travel packages via telephone and email.
- Workers should possess high school diplomas and familiarity with computer operating systems.
- Applicants should possess the ability to carry out responsibilities under pressure, quickly, and efficiently.
- Job seekers must demonstrate solid written communication skills in addition to verbal communication skills to begin careers in call center support.
- The job titles features salary options ranging anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 annually.
Tips For Applying
Industry experience plays a pivotal role to gain employment regardless of position desired. Applicants should only submit hiring forms for jobs related to past experiences. In most cases, hiring managers look specifically for multiple years of related backgrounds in candidates before making final employment decisions. Applying only for positions related to personal and/or professional experiences may reduce the possibility of spending time compiling application information needlessly.
Applicants need to create user profiles through the Princess Cruises careers website in order to apply for available jobs. After logging in, candidates may search for positions and apply directly to job postings. Employment hopefuls may receive phone calls or emails to set up interviews if selected. Generally, the cruise line contacts successful applicants within a week. In the meantime, candidates may call or email HR personnel concerning hiring status. The international company frequently responds to both forms of communication. Most workers complete the hiring process within a month of formal application submission.
Benefits of Working for Princess Cruises
Employees working aboard the cruise line ships generally enjoy the benefit of regular travel. Seaboard associates also receive discounted rates on cruise packages, paid training, and generous salary options. Land-based workers generally receive discounted travel packages, compensated and ongoing career enrichment, and lucrative pay, as well.
Eligible employees also enjoy:
- One day off every two weeks
- Paid holidays
- Vacation, and sick days
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company-matched 401(k) retirement plans
- Dental, and vision healthcare options, and
- Employee stock purchase plans.
Part-time or full-time status and tenure may affect job benefits eligibility.
Further Information on Princess Cruises
In order to better interact with potential customers, the cruise line offers digital video resources through the company website designed to provide visual aid and information on available travel packages. Videos cover destinations like Alaska, Scandinavia, Mexico, Japan, Panama, and Canada. The comprehensive digital library also features videos highlighting and showcasing Princess Cruises ships, including passenger cabins, amenities, and decks.